Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is it that much better living abroad?

Without Limits

Jan 14, 2007
Lewes Road Area
This weekend Two of my dear friends are going away for around 6 months to work for holiday companies. (Spain and Bulgaria).

I have already enquired about a job based in the USA (although after yesturdays news may wait until guns are banned)

I have a friend who basicly stays in Australia now and a cousin in Japan.

I love Brighton but has the south coast got this bad???

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I heard on the way home from work that 30,000 people are killed each year by guns in the US, though they didn't state whether that is all natives or including foreigners, might be worth avoiding for a while.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
The UK can be a great country if we could just find some decent people to run this bloody place properly.

These are my 5 things that I want to see happen, but never will

1) House prices rises to be halted so that first time buyers like me can afford a house.

2) The Roads to be made better and Public Transport to be more efficient and cheaper

3) Stop people who have committed violent crimes getting off, claiming legal aid and make sure they get sentenced properly

4) Improve the health service

5) Stop penalising hard working people with taxes when some people are getting off this.

bailey

Sep 24, 2005
Seafront Brighton
I lived out in Singapore for 4 months last summer and really enjoyed it. I've been on holiday to a lot of countries but it's an amazing experience when you actually live there and you have to deal with things like, renting property, local utility companies etc.

I'd definitely live abroad again for maybe 6 months to a year but Brighton's my home and always will be.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
adrian29uk said:
The UK can be a great country if we could just find some decent people to run this bloody place properly.

1) House prices rises to be halted so that first time buyers like me can afford a house.

2) The Roads to be made better and Public Transport to be more efficient and cheaper

3) Stop people who have committed violent crimes getting off, claiming legal aid and make sure they get sentenced properly

5) Stop penalising hard working people with taxes when some people are getting off this.

1,2 and 5 have applied for decades. It was exactly the same when I was young and several governments later.
4 is better than a lot of places in the world.
3 How do you know people who have committed violent crimes get off? I work for the CPS and providing enough evidence is available the guilty don't get off. Legal aid is there to make sure the innocent have a defence no matter how broke they are. Our legal system is also one of the best in the world. Many countries can lock you up without a trial (USA)

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
adrian29uk said:

points 2.4 and 5 are spot on!

D

Deleted member 2719

Yorkie said:
1,2 and 5 have applied for decades. It was exactly the same when I was young and several governments later.
4 is better than a lot of places in the world.
3 How do you know people who have committed violent crimes get off? I work for the CPS and providing enough evidence is available the guilty don't get off. Legal aid is there to make sure the innocent have a defence no matter how broke they are. Our legal system is also one of the best in the world. Many countries can lock you up without a trial (USA)

I agree with him on Legal aid to a certain extent.
We took a fairly wealthy business man to court for ripping off hard working first time buyers in the late eighties and he owned a £400,000 house(bearing in mind this was 20years ago) on the beach at Kingston gorse and a House in the Canaries and god knows what else and he got legal aid me and the girlfriend who were on lower than average incomes at the time got FA.

How he got it no one knows corrupt going ons is just a guess - is it still this bad?

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
adrian29uk said:

Yorkie said:

So, are you agreeing with him on these points Yorkie?

In my opinion House prices are ridiculous now, and cannot be compared with when I bought my first property (probably around the same time as you), In those times you could get a 95% mortgage on 3 times salary and be able to buy a property, You'd have to be earning something like £50k a year now to get on the propery market using that equation.

Despite owning my own home (with a mortgage) I would be glad to see property prices fall to half their current rates to allow the next generation to buy.

It might also have the bonus effect of bankrupting property dealers that are making thousands by buying up ideal first-time buyer properties and then renting them out to would be first time buyers that can't afford to buy, and never will be able to, because of the high rents they are paying to these people.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
BHA links said:
So, are you agreeing with him on these points Yorkie?

In my opinion House prices are ridiculous now, and cannot be compared with when I bought my first property (probably around the same time as you), In those times you could get a 95% mortgage on 3 times salary and be able to buy a property, You'd have to be earning something like £50k a year now to get on the propery market using that equation.

Despite owning my own home (with a mortgage) I would be glad to see property prices fall to half their current rates to allow the next generation to buy.

It might also have the bonus effect of bankrupting property dealers that are making thousands by buying up ideal first-time buyer properties and then renting them out to would be first time buyers that can't afford to buy, and never will be able to, because of the high rents they are paying to these people.

Yes, I'm agreeing and saying nothing has changed.
I couldn't have bought a property on my own salary especially down south when I got married (at 21)
That's why I moved up north to my ex's family and we had to have two salaries even then to buy a house even up there.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Seaford just can't be beaten. :)

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Big Jim said:
FFS, the grass is ALWAYS greener.

Everywhere in the world has problems of some kind.

Why are there so many Aussies and New Zealand people in the UK if there own country's are so great.

Do you meet many of them in their 40's?

Most of them want the experience but realise they have it better in the long run back home

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
I'm enjoying living in Toronto.

However what is happening to the UK, US, Canada, and other western countries will continue to increase.

Immigration is a natural progression now that global travel has become easier for everyone. People from third world countries emigrate to second and first world countries (land of opportunity, etc).

We're just going to have to get used to it. I believe that somewhere on the interwebby thingy that in 1000 years time everybody will look the same due to global breeding patterns.

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
Toronto Seagull said:
in 1000 years time everybody will look the same due to global breeding patterns.

That'll be rubbish! Still, if it's the natural order of things I'll continue doing my best to create the new generation of hybrid English/Japanese kids.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Bluejuice said:
Do you meet many of them in their 40's?

Most of them want the experience but realise they have it better in the long run back home

I have two Aussie friends in their 40s and two Kiwi friends in their 40s who live here. In fact, one of the sent me a ranting mail yesterday about how much she hates Australia and could never go back there.

There are good points and bad points about living anywhere but as Dorothy so wisely pointed out, there's no place like home.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
TS, you might just about be right with your inter-breeding thing, there will be more and more people who have parents of either different nationality or ethnic origine...we will all end up coffee coloured (as in the song from about 25 years ago that escapes me).

The only people who will not fall into that category are those whose belief system forbids them from marrying an outsider, or the extreme right wing/KKK/BNP types who wouldn't either...all those groups will be increasingly inbred, resulting in genetic abnormalities and a life expectency of 7....in fact, a lot of them are like that already.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here