Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

is it legal

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
BHA links said:
Have you checked your contract and/or handbook?

If you have a grievance have you spoken to your line manager?

contract mentions nothing of searches

the manager is on holiday but i know he wont be happy

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I think WardyWonderland is right on the money.

To be fair though, if the reason is to catch some sicko i dont see why you should have issue with this. raise concerns with management (to avoid a precedent being set) then go along with it. Why are you so bothered by it?

D

Deleted User X18H

Really piss them off and protest that you feel this is sexually motivated harrsement and insist any such search is carried out with a police officer present in private..............that'll stop em.:lolol:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
beorhthelm said:
raise concerns with management (to avoid a precedent being set) then go along with it. Why are you so bothered by it?

thats what I dont get, simply take a smaller bag to work on monday withthe bare essentials for a working day so that they dont look through "your private stuff". Sounds to me like you've got something to hide and/or your just over reacting, you need to let them do their job in hopefully locating the person or getting a clear indication its happening elsewhere...have smoke mate :smokin:

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
i have it in my contract that they are allowed to search people should they have a reason to suspect theft etc etc.

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
CrabtreeBHA said:
thats what I dont get, simply take a smaller bag to work on monday withthe bare essentials for a working day so that they dont look through "your private stuff". Sounds to me like you've got something to hide and/or your just over reacting, you need to let them do their job in hopefully locating the person or getting a clear indication its happening elsewhere...have smoke mate :smokin:

the only item we are allowed to take into the work place is a pen and one key(locker or car)

but we feel we are being violated

Lush

Mods' Pet
Ok - so you work with food. Stuff is being contaminated. Some old dear or kid could be badly hurt or worse as a result.

Surely it's MORE IMPORTANT than your evident dislike of your employer that you all do your bit to try and catch the culprit and stop this happening? You should be welcoming the searches.

Re your mates - how often is the culprit someone "unexpected"?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
rigton70 said:

Id normally symapthise with this point of view.

However given the reason for the searches, i think you should all get involved with management on the issue. If some sick bastard is contaminating food then everyone should want to have that person dealt with/treated for the illness they have. I certainly wouldnt want it on my conscience if i read that someone got injured as a result of staff not agreeing to a comparitively trivial search. I reckon any union whould probably be advising you as such anyway.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
rigton70 said:
the only item we are allowed to take into the work place is a pen and one key(locker or car)

well then you ave nothing to hide, as Lush said surely the well being of the customers means alot more than your self pride at hiding your stained underpants from your bosses!

Get over it and help your boss find the bastard thats doing this, if you still argue then YOU are the one who done it...innit!

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I'm kind of with with Rigton on this, they should have the right to refuse to be searched and not suspected of doing anything wrong for doing so, they should be presumed as innocent. Personally I would let them search me if i didnt have anything to hide. If the company has a need to do this then there is a serious clause missing out of your contracts, and thats the companys fault. I'd call the police if I was your management

Best advice I've seen in this thread is contact the CAB straight away. I have always been under teh impression that if they want to search your lockers then you have to be in attendance at the time otherwise the employer has no right to do it and you have probably got a constructive dismissal case against them. Also any evidence uncovered in the search would be inadmissable since you could legitimately claim it had been planted.

CAB straight away and then join a union.

Oct 5, 2003
check contract / staff handbook if you concerned about being stitched up for example demand another trusted (and he/she agrees) memener of staff (you choose) is present at the time of the search

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
rigton70 said:
are you 100% on that because i need to gather as much information as possible

is there any sites where i can verify anything

also what about the locker search

why are u so worried ... if u have nothing to hide then it cant be too much of an inconvenience .. surely isnt it better to find the culprit contanminating the product ... if the company loses sales due to this your job may well be at risk later on ... if u have something to hide then its a problem

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I used to work in Lewes for a company that made Credit cards etc and we were routinely searched as part of our VISA accreditation.

Bottom line is if you have nothing to hide, then you are ok.

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
dave the gaffer said:
I used to work in Lewes for a company that made Credit cards etc and we were routinely searched as part of our VISA accreditation.

Bottom line is if you have nothing to hide, then you are ok.

i have nothing to hide but i feel violated

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
I'm suprised just how many people are taking the company's side here. If they haven't put in your contract that you might be searched, then they have no right to search you. Ask them to call the police if they suspect you of wrongdoing.

And join a union today.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here