Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is it acceptable for Albion players to do ‘balloons’ on a team night out?

Well?

• Yes, it’s fine (I’m under 40)

Votes: 34 10.2%
  • Yes, it’s fine (I’m 40 or over)

Votes: 94 28.2%
  • No, it’s not good (I’m under 40)

Votes: 33 9.9%
  • No, it’s not good (I’m 40 or over)

Votes: 122 36.6%
  • I’m unsure (I’m under 40)

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • I’m unsure (I’m 40 or over)

Votes: 32 9.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think this thread is basically split between people who don't like recreational drug = outrage. People who occasionally indulge = who gives a f*ck

I'm in neither.

I'm not outraged, but neither am I just shrugging my shoulders. Unlike the rest of us schmos, these guys are paid absolute megabucks to be professionals. That involves certain responsibilities and making sacrifices, certainly during the season. Being out clubbing and inhaling substances (however 'mild' they are considered) when we're in the middle of a relegation scrap, the result of which will define the short-to-medium term future of this club, doesn't strike me as being the smartest of moves.

This one incident obviously won't define whether we stay or not. But it shines a light on some questionable attitudes towards the professionalism of some of the players. Just have to hope it doesn't matter I suppose.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
So people have seen a 30 second video of the team's week away, and have decided from that that they aren't showing application and focus. What absolute bullshit.

In answer to the original question in the thread title- that is up to Graham Potter to decide, and nobody else, because nobody else has a clue what has gone on during this trip. People need to realise that the players don't care what we think, and we don't own them. And if we end up getting relegated this year then it won't be down to them inhaling some laughing gas from a balloon in February.

Holy ****. I agree with Commander.

This episode is nothing. I mean really. Ok. So now it’s in the tabloids the story will run, no doubt the Moose and his crusty friends at TalkSPORT will run some faux ‘hip’ expose on footballers misbehaving when on break.

The biggest wrong here is that it puts GP in a difficult spot. The narrative Will be they’ve shown him and the club disrespect. This will be the focus of all the pressers and if he doesn’t do something about it (in the eyes of the media at least), he’ll be seen as a soft touch.

I would warn the players personally, only because a story like this will have legs now it’s out there. But judging on the evidence, their behaviour was ludicrously mild. Literally 4 bored young men sitting at a few tables. Some folk here must have lived very sheltered lives in their youth.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Holy ****. I agree with Commander.

This episode is nothing. I mean really. Ok. So now it’s in the tabloids the story will run, no doubt the Moose and his crusty friends at TalkSPORT will run some faux ‘hip’ expose on footballers misbehaving when on break.

The biggest wrong here is that it puts GP in a difficult spot. The narrative Will be they’ve shown him and the club disrespect. This will be the focus of all the pressers and if he doesn’t do something about it (in the eyes of the media at least), he’ll be seen as a soft touch.

I would warn the players personally, only because a story like this will have legs now it’s out there. But judging on the evidence, their behaviour was ludicrously mild. Literally 4 bored young men sitting at a few tables. Some folk here must have lived very sheltered lives in their youth.

But it's on the back of 4 absolutely shit performances that could have defined whether we stayed up or not. 2 ****ing points from a possible 12 against 4 woeful teams, and then a questionable video posted on twitter which looks like them doing "balloons". I'm really not surprised that some of our fans are pissed off.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
But it's on the back of 4 absolutely shit performances that could have defined whether we stayed up or not. 2 ****ing points from a possible 12 against 4 woeful teams, and then a questionable video posted on twitter which looks like them doing "balloons". I'm really not surprised that some of our fans are pissed off.

But the players have all gone on a break abroad. Clubs orders. Presumably to relax, switch off and unwind from those pressures, as well as for team bonding. I’m sure the club wouldn’t do this without GP’s blessing. He presumably thinks it’ll do the players good.

And again there’s nothing illegal here. And the video is laughably tame (willing to bet most critics haven’t even seen the vid).

What would you want the players to do, stay in their rooms at the hotel?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
But the players have all gone on a break abroad. Clubs orders. Presumably to relax, switch off and unwind from those pressures, as well as for team bonding. I’m sure the club wouldn’t do this without GP’s blessing. He presumably thinks it’ll do the players good.

And again there’s nothing illegal here. And the video is laughably tame (willing to bet most critics haven’t even seen the vid).

What would I want the players to do?

Well for starters, act their ages...
Take some responsibility...
Act like professionals...

I know people are getting indignant, ,"it's not illegal, it's only a bit of fun, it's only etc, etc, etc"

Just at the end of the day it makes the players and ultimately the club look a little bit sad, and shall we say it - tinpot!

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I can confirm that the players were actually blowing up the balloons, there was one balloon that had helium in, and a couple of players inhaled that. Blowing up the balloons was part of a game that they were playing, unfortunately only a selected part of the video has been released online.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
I can confirm that the players were actually blowing up the balloons, there was one balloon that had helium in, and a couple of players inhaled that. Blowing up the balloons was part of a game that they were playing, unfortunately only a selected part of the video has been released online.

Look forward to seeing the rest. :thumbsup:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

You are trying to make out that it is 18-30 holiday they've gone on. It is the winter break from one match. The players are still presumably training every day, working for their employer.

Pretty Plnk Fairy

NSC Patron
Jan 30, 2008
i thougth Shane Duffie had already had a go on Katy Prices balloons a couple of years ago when her car was parked in his drive or was it the other way round

Regards
DF

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Imagine a Christmas party without a bit of charge, now that is a scary thought!!

I think this thread is basically split between people who don't like recreational drug = outrage. People who occasionally indulge = who gives a f*ck

I am in the latter camp

I’ve never touched drugs in my life. And I couldn’t give a f***. Absolute non-story.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
From what I have read there is a bit of a drinking culture among some of the players. Hopefully this affair will give the leadership the authority to ban alcohol etc until the season finishes. I love a drink, indeed I have a large glass of wine every night, but I am not an elite sportsman trying to do the best for a club and tens of thousands of supporters in the hardest football league in the world. Sorry but if you want to get paid millions for kicking a ball we the supporters expect the utmost best from you and that in my view must naturally include no alcohol/ non illicit (just for the pedants out there I am assuming all illicit drugs are already banned) party drugs during the season. I know other codes and clubs do this.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
"Jose Izquierdo has been out on the grass with the side while we were away, but he’ll still miss this weekend.”

Seems Potter is far more tolerant,of this type of behaviour, than even I had suspected.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
OVERALL
No, it’s not good 46.4%
Yes, it’s fine 38.6%
On the fence 15%

UNDER 40s
No, it’s not good 38.4%
Yes, it’s fine 40.7%
On the fence 20.9%

40 OR OVER
No, it’s not good 49.2%
Yes, it’s fine 37.9%
On the fence 12.9%

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
OVERALL
No, it’s not good 46.4%
Yes, it’s fine 38.6%
On the fence 15%

UNDER 40s
No, it’s not good 38.4%
Yes, it’s fine 40.7%
On the fence 20.9%

40 OR OVER
No, it’s not good 49.2%
Yes, it’s fine 37.9%
On the fence 12.9%

If you’d emboldened the “on the fence” ratios you could have made the point that 62% more of the under 40s are incapable of making a decision than their older brethren. Stats, eh? :wink:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
And 91.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here