Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Ipswich a MUST win game?

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I think it is a must win if we are going to make the play offs. We are starting to get dropped a little and with so many in and around that 6th place, making up ground will be hard if that happens. However, I agree with the majority on this thread, if we finish mid table it will still have been a good season, although saying that, we have always been a bandwagon club and missing out will mean that we lose momentum just before the new seats go in, especially if we end up playing the last 3/4 games with nothing to play for.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Vicente
Razak
Assulin

Let's do 'em.

................Brez
Jara Greer El Abd Mattock
..............Bridcutt
Buckley Razak Vicente Assulin
................CMS

Subs; Casper, KLL, Noone, Vokes, Agdestein

Attack, attack, Razak, Razak, Razak...

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
For anyone that harbours play off ambitions I think it is. Looking at our remaining fixtures with as much optimism as I can I reckon we can make 76 points with a win tomorrow. But I'm not sure that will be quite enough - here's where I can see it ending but don't get it all right as the red boxes show

120224Footy.png

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
................Brez
..............Bridcutt
Buckley Razak Vicente Assulin
................CMS

Subs; Casper, KLL, Noone, Vokes, Agdestein

Attack, attack, Razak, Razak, Razak...

Unfortunately there is no way on earth Gus will drop Navs and Barnes. Big fan of Gus but I wish he would be a bit more flexible about his pet projects.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
The pressure is off. We can enjoy our football, as fans and as players. And that may well mean more wins than losses.

For me the season started off on an unrealistic high: "can we get promoted on the first attempt?" That gave way to "are we really good enough to compete at this level?" and that has now been replaced with "we're certainly one of the better sides in this division - I wonder how far we could go?"

Let the other sides in the top 10 do the panicking and nervousness. We've already achieved our primary goal and could surprise a lot of doubters over the next few months as we get into our stride.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Unfortunately there is no way on earth Gus will drop Navs and Barnes. Big fan of Gus but I wish he would be a bit more flexible about his pet projects.

I was kind of joking anyway. I'd be happy to keep Barnes in, as a trade off for a CM of Bridcutt and Razak.

................Brez
Buckley Bridcutt Razak Assulin
......... Barnes
......................CMS

Subs; Casper, KLL, Vicente, Vokes, Navarro

Steveapps71

May 9, 2011
Brighton land
For anyone that harbours play off ambitions I think it is. Looking at our remaining fixtures with as much optimism as I can I reckon we can make 76 points with a win tomorrow. But I'm not sure that will be quite enough - here's where I can see it ending but don't get it all right as the red boxes show

120224Footy.png

great work doing this! you must be on a friday skive

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
No. In fact I would say there are no "Must-Win" games left at all this season. We have achieved our primary objective of safety, we are now in position to try and push on as best we can and see where we end up. We do not NEED to get promoted or even NEED to get into the playoffs. We can hope for both, but we should also appreciate that we have taken a huge step forward this season and not be too dismissive of that achievement.

We are now in position where we can challenge for promotion and I hope we give it a good go, but this season has been a success already, missing out on promotion is not a failure.
While I sort of agree the start of the season I would have settled for just above the relegation zone and above Palace.
Now that Gus has started signing quality Premiership players I think we are going for it. Why sign these players if there is no desire to push on, we could have bloodied the Academy Players and not obtained loanees.
No, we are going for it and Saturday is a key match.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I was kind of joking anyway. I'd be happy to keep Barnes in, as a trade off for a CM of Bridcutt and Razak.

................Brez
Buckley Bridcutt Razak Assulin
......... Barnes
......................CMS

Subs; Casper, KLL, Vicente, Vokes, Navarro

Thing is, with the team you first put, we would almost definitely WIN, it would just be 4-3 or 5-4, rather than 1-0. Gus wants 1-0.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
great work doing this! you must be on a friday skive

I'm on a full time skive! Something me and couple of my mates do (have a bet on it!!) ... we've been doing it for years (as we are generally in some sort of promotion/relegation fight) so it's dead easy to keep going now. Wish I could find us a couple of points somewhere though :)

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
While I sort of agree the start of the season I would have settled for just above the relegation zone and above Palace.
Now that Gus has started signing quality Premiership players I think we are going for it. Why sign these players if there is no desire to push on, we could have bloodied the Academy Players and not obtained loanees.
No, we are going for it and Saturday is a key match.

My thoughts entirely ... he's going for it but playing it down big time. As I said somewhere else he's in a brilliant "no lose" position now no matter where we end up

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
If we want to be in the play-offs then yes, if we want to stay in the league then clearly no- if that's what we're aiming for there are no must win games for the rest of the season!

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
To cement a play off place, we'll need championship winning form. That means going for every game like it's a must win.

In reality, it isn't It's only a must win if you think we should be in the play offs this season. Personally I think we'll finish 8th and make it next season.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
My thoughts entirely ... he's going for it but playing it down big time. As I said somewhere else he's in a brilliant "no lose" position now no matter where we end up

i would disagree with that ,whilst we appear to be safe the recent loan signings show a massive intent ,there is no such thing as a no loose situation ,pretty sure mr . bloom wants a fair old lump back, sooner the better .........i think we are going all out for promotion this year which is ,quite frankly , a surprise ........our current squad is quite well below current prem standard.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Totally agree, Gus is in a win-win position. I really do get the feeling that we are in for an exciting finish to the season.

Feel a bit sad for the Academy Players as they are not going to get another sniff of 1st Team football but if we can keep on pushing we may just sneek a Play Off.

As I said earlier always an optimist, but pressure lads, MUST win.

Amexican

May 21, 2011
No. In fact I would say there are no "Must-Win" games left at all this season. We have achieved our primary objective of safety, we are now in position to try and push on as best we can and see where we end up. We do not NEED to get promoted or even NEED to get into the playoffs. We can hope for both, but we should also appreciate that we have taken a huge step forward this season and not be too dismissive of that achievement.

We are now in position where we can challenge for promotion and I hope we give it a good go, but this season has been a success already, missing out on promotion is not a failure.

Toally agree!...no more MUST wins for us this season, but a lot of nice to wins...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here