Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Gus our Brian Clough?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Ok, no one could ever do what Clough did with Forest in the European cup today. Simply because of the format. However I do belive that Gus could indeed lead us to the prem and with Blooms backing into the uefa cup, as has happened with Fulham.....

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
We clearly didn't see the best of Clough. So Gus is the best I have known. I hesitate as I was singing Capello's praises pre-World Cup ............. but Gus is a man with a plan that works. And people want to play for him, and I can only see it gathering momentum. Let us just hope we can keep him.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Alan Mullery was our Brian Clough.

But Poyet is a better manager than Mullery. Early days still, but possibly the best manager we've had...?

Being naturally rather pessimistic, can't help thinking about the day he will leave. It's gonna happen eventually. How will we ever replace him?!? :-(

Much as I love the way Gus is taking us and I think he has the potential to be a God, currently it is just that potential Mullery took us to the promised land - Gus has not yet done that.

And to the original question Clough did it at Derby and Forest and brought Leeds to their knees plus he did bring Taylor mark 1 to Brighton which started the original journey - Gus might get there but at this time he is no Clough!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It's a thread full of 39 year olds then, I'm one short if the big one too!!

Obviously at the moment Gus hasnt won anything but if he continues he will surpass what Mullery did on his time. Interestingly we also have arguably the best chairman since Mike Bamber, still not proven but I suspect he will be the best ever.

Sep 1, 2010
It's a thread full of 39 year olds then, I'm one short if the big one too!!

Obviously at the moment Gus hasnt won anything but if he continues he will surpass what Mullery did on his time. Interestingly we also have arguably the best chairman since Mike Bamber, still not proven but I suspect he will be the best ever.

You only look 38

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Do you mean the successful Derby and early Forest Clough - or the less successful late Forest and binge drinker Clough. Comparisons are dangerous things. What is wrong with being the first (and only) Gus Poyet?

PS. I am NOT 39.

Last edited:

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I think Poyet will be a great manager, and has transformed our side. Unfortunately though unless we go up consecutively he'll be off to a mid table Premiership side in a couple of years.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I love Gus Poyet so much it scares me.

Can just see him leaning the other side of the dugout during Barnes' penalty. Utter legend.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
He's our Mullery right now.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
I think we'll get there but top half prem etc. mentions of Europe, Prem in 2012/13 are bit over the top. See it as 5 years in Champ, 5 years being a yoyo club, then finally solid Prem in an expanded Amex. Let's not rush to get massive as that's when these clubs go bust. Steady and continued improvement year to year please with Gus at the helm as long as possible.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I am 39.

I've been watching the Albion regularly since I was 17 in 1988. And Gus is, without a shadow of a doubt, the best thing to have happened to this football club in all my years as a supporter. The fact that the coming of Gus is (please GOD) going to coincide with the greatest and most iconic day in the clubs history on August 6th 2011 is, quite frankly, too much to take in.

Its almost ridiculous at the moment.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I am still a huge advocate of Alan Mullery and what he did for this club was over and beyond the call of duty. He also got his side to play fantastic football with a bunch of players that nobody knew until we were successful. No-one had ever heard of Brian Horton, Peter Ward, Mark Lawrenson, until Mullery moulded a team. And he moulded a rather amazing team with names unheard like Paul Clarke, Malcolm Poskett, Graham Winstanley, Eric Steele, Eric Potts, Tony Towner... none of whom went on to be stars anywhere else. His football was simple and he and Venables were of the same philosophy. Play it simple and play it sweet, but be hard and nasty when necessary. That's where the Brighton v Palace rivalry started. That's where and when we got our nickname from.

Gus Poyet has all the attributes to do exactly what Mullery did and I don't think we have had a manager like him since Mullery. However this club has been starved of attractive football since Mullery left, and I think people are going a little over the top about Gus. I say this only for the reason that it will end up putting the bloke under tremendous pressure for what is expected of him. What happens if we don't get promoted this season? Will everyone be wanting his head?

We are on a high right now after spanking Pompey, but please guys be realistic. And remember he has not won anything for us yet. He said on Gillette Soccer Saturday this (yesterday) morning he is going nowhere, he is faithful to the Brighton cause. I am certain he gets a championship wage under Tony Bloom and I am certain he sees this club as his own. I also think he cannot resist the pull of the Amex. He has a lot to prove and he knows that he is in poll position at this club to prove it all. Yes he will leave us one day but not in the next three seasons, in my personal opinion. I think he will take us as close as we want him to take us and if not then further.

I doubt he reads NSC purely because of the expectation, but I am sure he gets told about it. He is our best proposition since Mullery, but not the greatest, not yet... but let's hope before he finishes his time at the club he becomes the greatest manager we have ever had. I love the enthusiasm of everyone on here, it's like a tidal wave... a tsunami of hope and faith, the likes I have never seen between Brighton supporters. Let us hope Gus leads us to the promised land.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I think people are going slightly over the top here. I think, if we get promoted, we'd be hoping for mid table at best for a good couple of seasons, although I do agree that he is a quality, quality manager

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I am still a huge advocate of Alan Mullery and what he did for this club was over and beyond the call of duty. He also got his side to play fantastic football with a bunch of players that nobody knew until we were successful. No-one had ever heard of Brian Horton, Peter Ward, Mark Lawrenson, until Mullery moulded a team. And he moulded a rather amazing team with names unheard like Paul Clarke, Malcolm Poskett, Graham Winstanley, Eric Steele, Eric Potts, Tony Towner... none of whom went on to be stars anywhere else. His football was simple and he and Venables were of the same philosophy. Play it simple and play it sweet, but be hard and nasty when necessary. That's where the Brighton v Palace rivalry started. That's where and when we got our nickname from.

Gus Poyet has all the attributes to do exactly what Mullery did and I don't think we have had a manager like him since Mullery. However this club has been starved of attractive football since Mullery left, and I think people are going a little over the top about Gus. I say this only for the reason that it will end up putting the bloke under tremendous pressure for what is expected of him. What happens if we don't get promoted this season? Will everyone be wanting his head?

We are on a high right now after spanking Pompey, but please guys be realistic. And remember he has not won anything for us yet. He said on Gillette Soccer Saturday this (yesterday) morning he is going nowhere, he is faithful to the Brighton cause. I am certain he gets a championship wage under Tony Bloom and I am certain he sees this club as his own. I also think he cannot resist the pull of the Amex. He has a lot to prove and he knows that he is in poll position at this club to prove it all. Yes he will leave us one day but not in the next three seasons, in my personal opinion. I think he will take us as close as we want him to take us and if not then further.

I doubt he reads NSC purely because of the expectation, but I am sure he gets told about it. He is our best proposition since Mullery, but not the greatest, not yet... but let's hope before he finishes his time at the club he becomes the greatest manager we have ever had. I love the enthusiasm of everyone on here, it's like a tidal wave... a tsunami of hope and faith, the likes I have never seen between Brighton supporters. Let us hope Gus leads us to the promised land.

Wonderful post.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location

:clap::clap:

Really really well put.

I will add however that I have been watching the Albion for almost 26 years (not quite the Mullery years) and we are currently playing the most attractive football i have seen us play during this time.

I hope Gus does stay around for a few years, in my opinion, he is irreplacable because he is a complete one-off.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I've been watching the Albion regularly since I was 17 in 1988. And Gus is, without a shadow of a doubt, the best thing to have happened to this football club in all my years as a supporter. The fact that the coming of Gus is (please GOD) going to coincide with the greatest and most iconic day in the clubs history on August 6th 2011 is, quite frankly, too much to take in.

Its almost ridiculous at the moment.

With the honourable exceptions of TB (and DK) I agree. And with the caveat that he is probably the first manager since Mullery to have been properly financially backed.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Is Gus our Brian Clough? I bl**dy well hope not! - I'm old enough to remember the days when we were managed by Brian Clough, and he was dreadful for us; in a few weeks he managed to produce a team that was scared to go out and play. If you think Gus can make a difference to players, you should have seen what Clough did! Never want to see that here again!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here