Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Gus our Brian Clough?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The man is a total genius. Could he do the same for us as Brian Clough did for Forest. If he stays with us for five years and with Blooms fantastic ownership I can see us being top half of the premiership.

But will he show the loyalty and stay that long? It will be a sad if he ever leaves.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
As much as it pains me to say it - and I hope I'm proved wrong - I'd be very surprised if he's here this time next year

I think the Board have an idea of the sort of Manager they'll want from now on though and will look for somebody like him

Feb 14, 2010
If he stays, then yes he could do what clough did for Forest. Well without the european cups as that not possible for clubs like us these days

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I think the Board have an idea of the sort of Manager they'll want from now on though and will look for somebody like him

I think that's my worry, there is no one like him. He is special. He is the best manager in my 30 years of watching the seagulls. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that he will go on to be every bit as successful as Clough. I just hope and pray he spends a long part of it with us.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I love Gus so much it aches. Its scary, because when he leaves us, I'm not quite sure how I will cope with it.

I feel so vulnerable.

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
I love him so much I would gladly let him take me whilst whistling the Uruguayan national anthem.:kiss:

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
If we get promoted and Gus stays, with TB as chairman and moving to the Amex, I think we will have more money to build a squad than ever before, so who knows. Gus definitely has the potential to be the best manager we have ever had. He has already demonstrated he can get good players. Imagine what he could do with a really decent transfer kitty.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
One win against Portsmouth and we're going to Europe. Brilliant.

It has nothing to do with today. And the comparison with Clough wasn't suggesting we could win the European Cup!! Just that he could transform us from a provincial run of the mill club to a good club in the premiership. Obviously Falmer and Blooms cash will help. I also think he has the charisma that Clough oozed as well. Frankly I love him. Completely love him.

Last edited:

BASINGSTOKESEAGULL

Jul 26, 2010
He is just unbelievable, what he has done to this football club is remarkable, the last few years we have had managers who wouldn't have even dreamed of playing the football we are playing at the moment. Look at the transformation of players like El-Abd, hopeless a few years back but now a brilliant defender. I love the guy.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Alan Mullery was our Brian Clough.

But Poyet is a better manager than Mullery. Early days still, but possibly the best manager we've had...?

Being naturally rather pessimistic, can't help thinking about the day he will leave. It's gonna happen eventually. How will we ever replace him?!? :-(

May 12, 2010
I've put a lot of thought into this.
I'm hoping that Gus achieves what I managed, playing an early football manager game on my Commodore 64, many years ago. Only in actual real life.
A rapid rise to the first division was followed by DECADES of constant success. I really spoilt the Brighton fans for the 30 odd years I was manager.
Cannon League trophies, FA Cups, Milk Cups and of course European Cups. Oh yes. Like Liverpool under Bill Shankly we never finished low enough to enter the UEFA Cup.

Sadly that wont happen. He will leave us and I'll cry a little bit.
I'm already worried about how I'll tell my kids when it finally happens.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Gus will stay all the time we are progressing, unless a top premiership side comes in for him. If Bloom doesn't fully back him in the transfer market then he will walk. Its the South American temper that will push him and Tanno over the edge.

Falmer

Banned
Nov 22, 2010
Earth
Everyone stop panicking. Gus is here for good a while and will drive us to some heavy heights. If he did leave, whose to say Tarrico wouldn't do a good job? Things can only get better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here