Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Glenn Murray leaving?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I cannot help thinking that if Poyet feels that Murray is crucial for us next year the club will stump up a very good deal that would tick most of the boxes for him financially.

It might be that actually Poyet has his sights on another striker that he feels could actually offer something better than Murray can next season, its a judgement call definitely but that's what Poyet is well paid to make and after this year who's to argue with him.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
To get a 'good' Championship striker is going to cost a million as a transfer fee plus wages of at least £5,000 a week. So the total cost over a three year contract is about £1.9million by the time you add on NI contributions.

If we pay Muzza £7,000 a week over a three year contract is will about £1.2million, and we know exactly what we are getting. It's a win-win deal.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Wouldn't Muzza be a bit pissed off earning £7k a week in the Premier League ? :lolol:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I am not saying that you are wrong, but as I have said that is for Poyet to judge.

We can play with figures, but Murrays agent will have a package that he feels his client is worth and will try to maximise that package.

My view is that we are likely to offer a competitive package to Murray if Poyet feels the same as you, however only time will tell.

The positive is that currently the manager seems to be in a position to offer competitive packages for players that he feels will enhance his squad, not always the case in years gone by.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I fully expect him to walk this summer, but not to Palace.

Depending on the truth or otherwise of another stale old rumour, as to whether he's settled in the area, then if he IS happy down here, then I can see him popping along the coast to Southampton, but if he does want to return to a colder more northern climate, then I think Derby is probably a decent shout.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I cannot help thinking that if Poyet feels that Murray is crucial for us next year the club will stump up a very good deal that would tick most of the boxes for him financially.

It might be that actually Poyet has his sights on another striker that he feels could actually offer something better than Murray can next season, its a judgement call definitely but that's what Poyet is well paid to make and after this year who's to argue with him.

Well as long as it's not Michael Owen..

I reckon, whoever we get in we will really miss Murray nex season if he goes. He IS a quality striker and I have no doubt at all that he can do what he's done this season at a higher level.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
A further issue is that Murray is a complex individual and needs to play for a manager who he feels supports him. He didn't get on with Wilkins and put in a transfer request within a couple of months. Things were a bit (but not much) better with Adams, and he brings the troubles of the world with him onto the pitch if he is not happy in himself. This may make some clubs a bit reluctant to sign him.

If Southampton have Lambert, Lalanna, Murray and Chamberlain next season they will do very well in the Championship.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A further issue is that Murray is a complex individual and needs to play for a manager who he feels supports him. He didn't get on with Wilkins and put in a transfer request within a couple of months. Things were a bit (but not much) better with Adams, and he brings the troubles of the world with him onto the pitch if he is not happy in himself. This may make some clubs a bit reluctant to sign him.

If Southampton have Lambert, Lalanna, Murray and Chamberlain next season they will do very well in the Championship.

He'll have to deal with Wilkins again, which hopefully makes that scenario a non starter. I'll be almost a pissed if he goes to Southampton as I would be if he went to Palace

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Also it's not just about how many goals Glenn has scored for us this season, how many has he assisted in and how many goals against has he prevented?
his defending this year has been outstanding. I for one really hope he doesn't leave us, he will be very hard to replace.

:(

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
To get a 'good' Championship striker is going to cost a million as a transfer fee plus wages of at least £5,000 a week. So the total cost over a three year contract is about £1.9million by the time you add on NI contributions.

If we pay Muzza £7,000 a week over a three year contract is will about £1.2million, and we know exactly what we are getting. It's a win-win deal.

This is exactly how I was thinking except that we could pay him 10k per week = £1.5 mill - still an absolute bargain and no gamble involved as with bringing in a replacement.

If we are to compete in the Championship these are the sort of sums we are gonna have to stump up and I'm sure Tony is well aware of this. No point in spending £100mill+ on facilities and skimping on something as important as key players

Joey Deacon's Disco Suit

It's a THUG life
Apr 19, 2010
Gus has gone out of his way to make public his desire to keep Bennett and Bridcutt. He's not been so unequivocal with Murray and the rumours are that Murray's complex character is sometimes a problem for the other players. I suspect that Poyet has a policy of not keeping big personality players viz Cox, Virgo, Forster and prefers good team players instead. Brian Clough also had this policy at Forest and it worked wonders. I hope Murray stays but if he chooses to go then I trust in Tony and Gus to get a decent replacement. Just a word of warning though Glenn, don't think that going to the pikeys will sit very well with us in Sussex. Anywhere but them and therre will be no hard feelings. Sign for them and you will probably have to move out of Brighton altogether.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Also it's not just about how many goals Glenn has scored for us this season, how many has he assisted in and how many goals against has he prevented?
his defending this year has been outstanding. I for one really hope he doesn't leave us, he will be very hard to replace.

:(

Spot on. The goals, the hold up play, his aerial ability at both ends of the pitch and the penalties he has won (even if we did miss most of them), will be so difficult to replace without spending the cash El Pres alludes too. Will be gutted to see him gone. Murray and Bridcutt are so important to us and how we play. Unless Gus can unearth another gem like Calderon of course.

But as Joey Deacon mentions, if he does go then I have every faith that it is because Bloom and Poyet are happy for him to leave. I've never had this much belief in the management and board of this club.

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Spot on. The goals, the hold up play, his aerial ability at both ends of the pitch and the penalties he has won (even if we did miss most of them), will be so difficult to replace without spending the cash El Pres alludes too. Will be gutted to see him gone. Murray and Bridcutt are so important to us and how we play. Unless Gus can unearth another gem like Calderon of course.

For me Murray and Elphick have been our best defenders in the air! How many corners has Glenn cleared this season!? LOADS!

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
For me Murray and Elphick have been our best defenders in the air! How many corners has Glenn cleared this season!? LOADS!

He always seems to be in exactly the right place at the right time when defending corners or freekicks. Leave the defenders to pick up the attackers and then Murray will plonk himself in the right place and nonchalantly head it to safety, lovely to watch!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
He always seems to be in exactly the right place at the right time when defending corners or freekicks. Leave the defenders to pick up the attackers and then Murray will plonk himself in the right place and nonchalantly head it to safety, lovely to watch!

Noticeable that SCC scored both their goals from big kicks after Muzza went off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here