Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is FDM coming back

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
BensGrandad said:
My point is we have Chaigneau now as back up and if MM rates FDM why does he want to sign another goalkeeper. If Chaigneau is good enough as back up now then he will be in March/April and if one of those get injured we can make an emergency loan of a keeper.

This indicates to me that MM does not rate FDM very highly.

I do not actually think it indicates that. What it shows more is, we had a very good player on loan, who we have a chance of signing permanetly in January and seems to want to come to us and fits the current policy of the club which seems to be to bring youngsters in, develop them and make money on them.

I think you are looking for something that is not there with regards to the keepers.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
BarrelofFun said:
I would assume so......I will check the boston site. Will be great to have him back.

Did anyone notice Dean Cox was down as a goalkeeper on the Hull programme. I was worried McGhee had lost the plot. His little box by his name was green!

Im not. Nothing would surprise me as far as that lardy jocko buffoon was concerned...

:angry: :angry: :angry:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
KinkyGoehring said:
Why? is Henderson coming back?

Mr "Punch Out" crosses as opposed to catching you mean.

He is Digweed incarnated. Parrying shots straight to the opposition striker...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Uncle Buck said:
I do not actually think it indicates that. What it shows more is, we had a very good player on loan, who we have a chance of signing permanetly in January and seems to want to come to us and fits the current policy of the club which seems to be to bring youngsters in, develop them and make money on them.

I think you are looking for something that is not there with regards to the keepers.

My view is that if MM thought highly of FDM he would have no need to consider buying Blaney or Henderson as I do not think that he is considering buying one of them as an investment to sell on and make money.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
do you think your consortium could lend us the money to buy Henderson?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
BensGrandad said:
My view is that if MM thought highly of FDM he would have no need to consider buying Blaney or Henderson as I do not think that he is considering buying one of them as an investment to sell on and make money.

You do look for theories that are not there.

If he does not rate Kuipers, why was he awarded a new 2 year contract before the latest injury?

Henderson seems to be a very good prospect that we could land, hence we are going after him. It adds competition and he could become a saleable asset.

I suspect he is also going after another keeper permanetly as Kuipers injury record is somewhat suspect, so you need decent cover, rather than scratching around for loan signings.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My view is based on the fact that the club were prepared to let him go to Hull when PT wanted him but PT didnt want to pay a fee he wanted him on a free transfer.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
BensGrandad said:
My view is based on the fact that the club were prepared to let him go to Hull when PT wanted him but PT didnt want to pay a fee he wanted him on a free transfer.

But he was coming back from a bad injury and we had signed Roberts, so maybe they saw it as a chance to shift him off the wage bill?

If he is not rated, why was he given a 2 year contract, we other more senior pro's such as Oatway and Hart were only given one year deals?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We shall just have to wait and see as nobody really knows the answer of how MM is thinking it is just the impression that I get rightly or wrongly and I wondered if othetr people saw it the same way as me or am I just odd.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
BensGrandad said:
Who was it was it SC?

Coppell sent him up there at the beginning of the season and promptly called him back when Roberts got injured and he kept his place under Coppell, even when Roberts came back. McGhee dropped him after a shocker at Lincoln, he promptly had that car crash which ruled him out for a few months and by the time he was fit, Roberts was in fine form and I think equalled the club clean sheet record. So it was nothing to do with not being rated, more to do with a dip in form and then another injury.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Kuipers is a cult figure here, a bit of a Brighton legend.

He's as good a shot stopper as there is around.

But all but the most one eyed fans would surely admit he has his comedy moments, usually involving crosses. Or kicking.

None of the keepers this season has been faultless- Henderson as someone said had a couple of dodgy flaps at shots but improved vastly by the end. Blayney has taken a bit of stick for a couple of games, though he hasn't exactly thrown any in. Chaigneau made a couple of cracking saves, but apparently looked very nervous at Shrewsbury. And Kuipers is just Kuipers.

I think when you take their overall games into account, they're all going to be much of a muchness in terms of total goals conceded. None of them is perfect, so who cares which one we have, just get behind them, whoever McGhee picks.

I suspect McGhee likes the solid, unspectacular type of keeper, as opposed to the frequently brilliant but occasionally erratic type- which Kuipers is. If he needs to play him he will, but I suspect long term, MM will find a permanent signing who he sees as a little more secure.

But would be good to see Michel back in the meantime, he's sometimes unbelievable, sometimes terrifying, but never dull
:clap:

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
BensGrandad said:

Where the hell did you dig that one up .....

He's on loan to Boston for the same reason he was on loan at Hull. In both cases he had just recovered from bad injuries and it was more prudent for him to play in a lower division than in the Maelstrom that is the championship. Common sense really.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Deportivo Seagull said:
Where the hell did you dig that one up .....

He's on loan to Boston for the same reason he was on loan at Hull. In both cases he had just recovered from bad injuries and it was more prudent for him to play in a lower division than in the Maelstrom that is the championship. Common sense really.

That is ignoring the fact that we had a better keeper on loan and the best he could hope for was as back up and the very occasional reserve games.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
BensGrandad said:

reason we need another keeper is that kuipers is injury prone, and with the transfer window we would be stuck with the french boy should he pick up an injury, which is quite likely

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
It appears that distribution is the key to who gets picked to play.

Argus today.

Michel Kuipers saw his Albion debut cut short more than five years ago because of the way he got rid of the ball.

Now the Seagulls goalkeeper has been told his ball distribution could be a factor which denies him a Christmas comeback against QPR.

Kuipers has been in great form on loan at Boston as he recovers from a long-term shoulder injury.

But French rival Florent Chaigneau has been given the final chance to impress by playing for the reserves in a behind-closed-doors friendly at Luton Town today.

And boss Mark McGhee admits ball distribution is one of the big Frenchman's ace cards in the battle to replace Alan Blayney between the posts.

Blayney is now back at Southampton after a second loan spell at Withdean which culminated in a couple of super stops as Hull City were beaten 2-1 on Friday, leaving a first-team place between the sticks up for grabs.

Kuipers and Chaigneau will be evaluated throughout the week before McGhee decides who gets the nod to face QPR at Withdean on Boxing Day.

If kicking and throwing prove decisive factors, Kuipers might reflect that on his debut at Southend in 2000 he was replaced by Mark Cartwright at half-time so Albion could get the ball upfield more quickly.

Micky Adams, the manager who made that shock decision, did something similar in the less high-profile surroundings of a pre-season game at Sligo in Ireland a year later.

On that occasion he replaced Kuipers just a few minutes into the game after his goalkeeper had thrown the ball straight out of play when aiming for Kerry Mayo.

McGhee will take all factors into account before making one of several significant selection decisions.

He said: "I've got a decision to make and I'll make it this week.

"We'll see how they do. Flo will play today because he is the one who has not had games.

"As the week goes on we will look at them very carefully and make a decision before the game.

"They have both got the chance to play. It's still up in the air.

"Both offer us different things in a sense. We know how good a goalkeeper in terms of shot-stopping Michel is. That's the way he has been playing for Boston. He has made some great saves.

"But we also know Flo's distribution and his kicking are a bit better than Michel's. We've got to balance it all out."

Chaigneau struggled to deal with crosses in his only previous first-team outing as Albion lost 3-2 in extra-time at Shrewsbury in the Coca-Cola Cup back in August.

But the former colleague of Chelsea's Petr Cech, when they were both at Rennes, has made progress in recent weeks and is chasing a Championship debut.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Yorkie said:
It appears that distribution is the key to who gets picked to play.

Argus today.

Michel Kuipers saw his Albion debut cut short more than five years ago because of the way he got rid of the ball.

Now the Seagulls goalkeeper has been told his ball distribution could be a factor which denies him a Christmas comeback against QPR.

Kuipers has been in great form on loan at Boston as he recovers from a long-term shoulder injury.

But French rival Florent Chaigneau has been given the final chance to impress by playing for the reserves in a behind-closed-doors friendly at Luton Town today.

And boss Mark McGhee admits ball distribution is one of the big Frenchman's ace cards in the battle to replace Alan Blayney between the posts.

Blayney is now back at Southampton after a second loan spell at Withdean which culminated in a couple of super stops as Hull City were beaten 2-1 on Friday, leaving a first-team place between the sticks up for grabs.

Kuipers and Chaigneau will be evaluated throughout the week before McGhee decides who gets the nod to face QPR at Withdean on Boxing Day.

If kicking and throwing prove decisive factors, Kuipers might reflect that on his debut at Southend in 2000 he was replaced by Mark Cartwright at half-time so Albion could get the ball upfield more quickly.

Micky Adams, the manager who made that shock decision, did something similar in the less high-profile surroundings of a pre-season game at Sligo in Ireland a year later.

On that occasion he replaced Kuipers just a few minutes into the game after his goalkeeper had thrown the ball straight out of play when aiming for Kerry Mayo.

McGhee will take all factors into account before making one of several significant selection decisions.

He said: "I've got a decision to make and I'll make it this week.

"We'll see how they do. Flo will play today because he is the one who has not had games.

"As the week goes on we will look at them very carefully and make a decision before the game.

"They have both got the chance to play. It's still up in the air.

"Both offer us different things in a sense. We know how good a goalkeeper in terms of shot-stopping Michel is. That's the way he has been playing for Boston. He has made some great saves.

"But we also know Flo's distribution and his kicking are a bit better than Michel's. We've got to balance it all out."

Chaigneau struggled to deal with crosses in his only previous first-team outing as Albion lost 3-2 in extra-time at Shrewsbury in the Coca-Cola Cup back in August.

But the former colleague of Chelsea's Petr Cech, when they were both at Rennes, has made progress in recent weeks and is chasing a Championship debut.

read it again. There is no "key". Both goalies have their relative strengths and weaknesses.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
MM just keeps springing suprises, if he plays Chaigneau I would tend to agree with Ben's grandads summary but I am shocked FDM is not the automatic choice

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here