Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Dick Knight answering his critics?

Has the progress on the transfer market sshhht the critics?

• Yes I think it has

Votes: 56 61.5%
  • No, they / I will always moan about something

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • Don't know, whats going on? Who am I?

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I dont think he had anything to answer, he has (as has the rest of the board, the manager and team) been doing a brilliant job.

I think the recent critism of him and the rest of the club has been completely out of order, and that the moaners had worked themselves into such a frenzy, that they are totally responsible for the recent ill feeling, because they were acting in a very almost paranoid fashion.

The worst, and probably most unbelievable comment was this on the Argus, under the story:-
Albion sign midfield man
By Andy Naylor
Posted by: Steve Palmer, uckfield on 9:38am Sat 12 Jan 08
What a joke Newcastle sack there manager for taking them backwards, we offer ours a 3 yr deal, the club continue to make no steps forward, just one sideways and two back, like DW style of play, I wish we could be as lucky as Luton and go into admin, then we could sell the squad the manager would resign and Knight could stop the self praise and go and save another club!
What a joke Newcastle sack there manager for taking them backwards, we offer ours a 3 yr deal, the club continue to make no steps forward, just one sideways and two back, like DW style of play, I wish we could be as lucky as Luton and go into admin, then we could sell the squad the manager would resign and Knight could stop the self praise and go and save another club!

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Nobody, the old officials of the club included have ever been able to confirm that but none the less if he adds Richards to the 2, one young , one journeyman then I shall be pleased.

I am not saying he wasnt but Ron Pavey the old secretary said that he had never heard of him prior to the take over and RP knew everybody even me as a supporter.

Are you seriously suggesting that Mr Pavey has an encyclopedic knowledge of every supporter who ever stood on the North Stand?

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Are you seriously suggesting that Mr Pavey has an encyclopedic knowledge of every supporter who ever stood on the North Stand?

Ron once phoned me up at home when I wrote a Mr Angry letter in the Argus about the crumbling East Terrace terracing.

Fair play to him, he was a very nice bloke.

Seagullible

Super Keeper
Jul 7, 2003
Tea room, The Office, Slough
I am very happy with DK ansd the signoings, but it still won't shut the moaners up as the expect far too much, problem is we have had a few seasons recently where we have been spoilt and done unbelievable well and a few people expect that to be the norm. The sooner they realise we are not a big club the better.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
For me, it's the sensible, considered supporters Dick has to answer to. Whinging, moaning fuckwits are, after all, simply whinging, moaning fuckwits.

I think the original post and the above one sum up who the real idiots really are on here...

People had a right to be concerned at the apparent lack of investment in the team and falling attendances (clue = the two might be linked)... we now have 2 new players... we still lack Richard's return or a replacement, and a Bas replacement...

The jury is still out...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Don't know. Telling Dick Knight that it's obvious we're not going to sign anyone is a kind of litmus test, I suppose.

Similar to Dick telling us he is going to sign this player and that player, then the deals not happening? BTW all credit to Dick for signing Thomson and, to a lesser extent, McFaul, but his track record is not great here...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Similar to Dick telling us he is going to sign this player and that player, then the deals not happening? BTW all credit to Dick for signing Thomson and, to a lesser extent, McFaul, but his track record is not great here...

Dick doesn't say we're going to sign this player and that player, or whoever.

He might let you know one or two that slipped through after the event, but not before or during any talks.

So no, not similar at all, really.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Dick doesn't say we're going to sign this player and that player, or whoever.

He might let you know one or two that slipped through after the event, but not before or during any talks.

So no, not similar at all, really.

Funny... I seem to remember a whole series of strikers that were allegedly on their way over a period of about 2 years... MM's reign for the slow of thought...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I think the original post and the above one sum up who the real idiots really are on here...

People had a right to be concerned at the apparent lack of investment in the team and falling attendances (clue = the two might be linked)... we now have 2 new players... we still lack Richard's return or a replacement, and a Bas replacement...

The jury is still out...

The 'jury', as you so put it, is determined by every individual person's level of expectation.

My level of expectation, for instance, is that, when Dick said he is chasing five players, I expect him to chase five players. How many I 'expect' him to land is determined by who they are and how likely they would be to sign for us. However, seeing as we don't know who they are, having any sort of expectation is a bit unrealistic. The higher calibre player we're chasing (and the days of nobbling Charlton's kids for a couple of games knowing we have to give them back - something Dean doesn't really like doing - are hopefully now behind us), the harder it is for us to sign him, obviously.

Incidentally, I don't agree with the notion of no new players = falling attendances, at least not as the main reason. Why? Because the attendances have been falling throughout the season, when (a) we're knocking on the door of the play-offs because (b) it can be easily argued we're playing better football at a time when people were largely happy with the squad as was. My main belief, having talked to so many people - not just my mates - about falling attendances is largely (though not exclusively) down to one reason - for the level of shittiness of our stadium, it's FAR too expensive.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Come on guys admit it without our trusty DICK where would we be!!

:)

Playing in a 28 thousand state of the art stadium - in the premiership - with a huge bronze statue of the great William Archer outside the Steve Foster Stand.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
How can two very average signings compensate for the loss of four players???

Funny thing is we needed two more players added before the others left,time will tell although i find it quiet scary that dick has been applauded for these signings mmmmm as shouldn't wilkins be signing players???

Dick got us promotions?
dick signs players?
dick got us the stadium?

How shocking a lot of you are to actually believe dick does everything:glare:doesn't anyone else get credit at the club,like the rest of the board and maybe the managers????

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Are you actually for real?

You have got to be the most MISERABLE person on here, and there's quite some competition.

You know McFaul and Thomson well, do you? Well enough to write them off as 'average' already?

Thomson is probably the MOST impressive signing we have made in ten years, in that he is a regular starter and influential player at a club at a higher level than our own. When was the last signing whom you could say that of [if EVER?].

Get a f***ing grip.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Are you actually for real?

You have got to be the most MISERABLE person on here, and there's quite some competition.

You know McFaul and Thomson well, do you? Well enough to write them off as 'average' already?

Thomson is probably the MOST impressive signing we have made in ten years, in that he is a regular starter and influential player at a club at a higher level than our own. When was the last signing whom you could say that of [if EVER?].

Get a f***ing grip.
You seen them play yet?
I say average because they both come from very poor leagues???

Actually im probably the happiest person on this board,the club brings me misery but life brings me joy:drink:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No, I haven't. I'll see them on Saturday. THEN I'll start to form an opinion of them, not before.

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton

well said Hans Kraay. Its not as if the transfer windows over and all we've got from it is 2 'average' players.

Admittedly McFaul is unknown and I don't know how good or not he'll be for us but its certaintly too early to say at the moment.

As for Thomson, he is obviously a proven player at a level higher than that of what we play currently and was the captain of his team also.

I find it insulting that you describe him as an 'average' siging after not having seen him play yet. No doubt your one of those ewho'll be on here in a months time singing his praises and saying what a good signing he was.

Why don't you try and be positive for once and perhaps try to enjoy a signing of a player, rather than instantly dismissing it as average.

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
Dick Knight should not take all the credit for these signings. Neither though should he take all the flak when things are going badly for us. surely people like Wilkins and other members of the board have got to take some flak also?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here