Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Brighton turning into a snobby place to live.....

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
My house - that's how much it was valued for.

(Not looking to move BTW, just exploring mortgage options - Coldean's a lovely area)

Handy for the Amex:)

I was surprised because just before you posted I looked up the prices of the area I grew up in, Coombe Road Brighton, a 2 bed terraced house in Mafeking Road BN2 4EL is for sale at £285,000.

I'm guessing your house is ex council, nothing wrong with that but I do know some houses in Coldean are prefabs.
Edit. Just seen the picture of your house, it's not a prefab.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
My house - that's how much it was valued for.

(Not looking to move BTW, just exploring mortgage options - Coldean's a lovely area)

Here you go ....

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-47313764.html

Fair enough. I suspect the "good school" is the primary? AFAIK the head who transformed my son's school from poor to excellent is head there now along with a couple of the old teachers. If so it'll be REALLY good soon. Though, to return to the subject, I suspect BACA's muesli studies group is too small for Hanover mums.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I can only assume that they haven't been to The Level since it re-opened, in which case, it's not so much snobbery as ignorance.

Nope they were going on about they had all been and would never go again because it was full of chavs. My wife also works with a colleague in Camden who moved to Hove recently they also commented on all the chavs and that they hated and regretted moving down. I have heard lots of snobby comments about areas of Brighton recently which make me want to smack people around the back of the head. I mean we have a fine and dandy City here with different areas offering different things, but come on Hanover, Poets Corner are all ex working class areas frequented by people who actually can't afford to live somewhere better and that's not a bad thing that's just life,but why pretend to be better than you are or can affords and then slag another area off to make you feel better and superior. This really annoys me, it just smacks of falseness and pretence.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
My wife also works with a colleague in Camden who moved to Hove recently they also commented on all the chavs and that they hated and regretted moving down.

People like that only moved down on account of property prices and commuting times into London. They add nothing whatsoever to the soul/vibe/whateveryouwanttocallit of the town. Quite the opposite in fact. Glad they hate it.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Fair enough. I suspect the "good school" is the primary? AFAIK the head who transformed my son's school from poor to excellent is head there now along with a couple of the old teachers. If so it'll be REALLY good soon. Though, to return to the subject, I suspect BACA's muesli studies group is too small for Hanover mums.

The primary is superb - rated Excellent by Ofsted and five minutes walk away. I don't know about BACA, we're in the catchment area for Patcham - another good school.

That's not my house BTW - posted that as an example

This is not about Coldean though. I just mentioned the area to show that Brighton's not all about expensive properties and DFLs

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I mean we have a fine and dandy City here with different areas offering different things, but come on Hanover, Poets Corner are all ex working class areas frequented by people who actually can't afford to live somewhere better

This is very true. My dad spent his teenage years in Hanover and it was one of the poorest parts of Brighton. My grandad lived there till the 70s and there was still no inside bog. I find the place near unbearable now - although there are still some decent boozers in the area

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Nope they were going on about they had all been and would never go again because it was full of chavs. My wife also works with a colleague in Camden who moved to Hove recently they also commented on all the chavs and that they hated and regretted moving down. I have heard lots of snobby comments about areas of Brighton recently which make me want to smack people around the back of the head. I mean we have a fine and dandy City here with different areas offering different things, but come on Hanover, Poets Corner are all ex working class areas frequented by people who actually can't afford to live somewhere better and that's not a bad thing that's just life,but why pretend to be better than you are or can affords and then slag another area off to make you feel better and superior. This really annoys me, it just smacks of falseness and pretence.

Well, since it re-opened, they couldn't be more wrong. So snobbery AND ignorance.

Head on down there, it's pretty good.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Really? I think Notters etc would love a link for that. I bought a 3 bed in Portslade for more than that and have been told I got a bargain and that it's gone up "considerably". Even Woodingdean has been going through the roof. You don't get much more out of the city than those without ending up 'somewhere not Brighton'.

Quite! You'd struggle to get a 4 bed detached in Newhaven for that now.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Quite! You'd struggle to get a 4 bed detached in Newhaven for that now.

You should have another look, I noticed a decent one for £250k when I was looking earlier.
I'm not sure how to do the link thing but it's on with Fox & Sons.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Turning into?

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Did you look at him funny though ?

Did you ask him if he was going back to Scotland after the yes vote ?

Hardly call a homeless man a chav or maybe it just goes to show how well off we all are in Brighton to have homeless chavs
i didnt say he was a chav?

He came over to ask for a fag (which i gave him), before he started being aggressive.

He called himself the 'white rabbit'.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Having lived in Sheffield for the last 3 years, and recently moving back to Brighton, I'd definitely say Brighton is a far more 'snobbish' city to live in.

And that's noticeable despite the fact that the student areas in Sheffield are some of, if not the nicest, in the city.

People do judge others far more on appearance down here, rightly of wrongly.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
It might be snobby, but I was down there on Sunday and it was bloody filthy.

Rubbish everywhere, not sure how the recycling works there, lots of plastic bags ripped open by seagulls/foxes.

Needs a good coat of paint and tarting up, looks tired IMO.

Still love coming down, but could be so much nicer.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
It might be snobby, but I was down there on Sunday and it was bloody filthy.

Rubbish everywhere, not sure how the recycling works there, lots of plastic bags ripped open by seagulls/foxes.

Needs a good coat of paint and tarting up, looks tired IMO.

Still love coming down, but could be so much nicer.

My biggest gripe about Brighton, it's always filthy, have to careful about dog cr*p as well - twice in a year I've done the lift ride of shame in the office....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here