Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Is Brighton & Hove as a city getting better, or getting worse?

Is Brighton and Hove getting better, or getting worse?

• Better

Votes: 48 30.2%
  • Worse

Votes: 111 69.8%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It's too broad a question. In what respect are we talking ?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Take a walk along London Road, Level, Valley Gardens. In the past places you would avoid completely but now pretty nice on a sunny day. Generally unless you have a specific reason to moan, like you are chronically addicted to driving a car, Brighton is miles nicer now than when it was in the last 90s early Noughties.

North Laine and The Lanes have lost some of their quirkiness. The town centre has taken a bit of a hit, like most places. But generally they have survived relatively well. Lots of nice restaurants, still enough decent boozers. A lot more outdoor activities now accessible than in the past.

Still gets a bit grim between the months of November to April but then so does most places.

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
I feel the country as a whole got worse under previous national leadership. Brighton was no exception, I am very much hoping for a single painful budget to steady the ship, and then grounds for cautious optimism thereafter.

Only time will tell. And if at the next election Labour are not offering to enter into talks regarding a Customs Union with Europe, and the Lib Dems are, then my allegiance will switch to the Lib Dems, no ifs, no buts.

Edit: I have to say that my view of Brighton is coloured by no longer being resident. Places I knew have disappeared and been replaced, and so part of my discomfort is purely down to old haunts having been swallowed up by time.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I loved Brighton when I was younger, by the time I reached 30 I wanted out! Got out a couple of years later, hate the place now and avoid going into the centre if possible :shrug:

It’s always been a bit seedy though hasn’t it?

I guess if you are loaded and can afford to live there in luxury it might be different

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Working in an office on Queens Road, that part of the City has definitely got worse. It seems to get dirtier and seedier by the day.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Take a walk along London Road, Level, Valley Gardens. In the past places you would avoid completely but now pretty nice on a sunny day. Generally unless you have a specific reason to moan, like you are chronically addicted to driving a car, Brighton is miles nicer now than when it was in the last 90s early Noughties.

North Laine and The Lanes have lost some of their quirkiness. The town centre has taken a bit of a hit, like most places. But generally they have survived relatively well. Lots of nice restaurants, still enough decent boozers. A lot more outdoor activities now accessible than in the past.

Still gets a bit grim between the months of November to April but then so does most places.
That’s a good summary. Parts of the seafront have also improved. But then I cringe at the decline of Western Road, Madeira Drive arches and the state of our parks and roads and that food banks seem to have become a permanent feature. Of course this isn’t exclusive to Brighton but as a nation I feel we need to reset our spending priorities.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012

I think London Road is a dump , it reminds me of Streatham high road , as do western road , Boundary Road,

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Too many people live in Brighton & Hove and still more large blocks of unaffordable flats spring up increasing the pressure on infrastructure, the current infrastructure just about covers a population half of the current one, the rats eventually start eating themselves when there’s no more room….

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
If you really have to ask the question, then you're not old enough to remember the answer :facepalm:

Try doubling the timescale and it becomes even more obvious :dunce:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Working in an office on Queens Road, that part of the City has definitely got worse. It seems to get dirtier and seedier by the day.

It would have to go some to be as dirty and seedy as when I worked there 40 years ago :wink:

I always remember arriving home at Brighton Station early on a Sunday morning back mid/late 70s having spent two weeks in the Mediterranean. Christ that was grim :down:

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I loved Brighton when I was younger, by the time I reached 30 I wanted out! Got out a couple of years later, hate the place now and avoid going into the centre if possible :shrug:

It’s always been a bit seedy though hasn’t it?

I guess if you are loaded and can afford to live there in luxury it might be different
This is largely how I feel too.

I’ve been away 8 years having only returned briefly once. I’ve no desire to spend any time in Brighton (or much of the UK, really), but of course I do somewhat miss going to the football, and some old friends.

I’m due to go back soon for a quick stop, and only feel dread. :shrug:

But essentially, these thoughts and feelings are highly personal and subjective person to person.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I think London Road is a dump , it reminds me of Streatham high road , as do western road , Boundary Road,
Fair enough, it's not amazing but it's 10 times better than it was a decade ago. Then it was a dump that was basically deserted. I think students whether you like them or not have made that whole area more vibrant and not just full of homeless.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I loved it in the late 90’s / early 00’s but that’s probably an age thing.

Arrived here a fresh faced 19 yr old and drank in all Brighton had to offer.

Some years (decades) later I only travel into Brighton for work or to shop for something I can’t get elsewhere.

It’s hard to judge if it’s worse, I don’t like travelling into any city or large town these days. Much preferring to chill in the garden or a good walk up on the Downs. “Hanging out” in Brighton is a long forgotten activity for me. Having a quiet pint or meal out with friends in my nearest small town is my ideal night out now.

I imagine for an eager young student, away from home for the first time, it’s just the ticket.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Have you left?

Still here - thinking about leaving though. Can get a lot more for your money elsewhere.

For me, it probably has got better overall. The quality of pubs has increased a lot - I think this is largely down to the chains consuming all the indies and turning them into gastropubs with high quality outdoor areas.

Additionally, the quality of restaurants has gone up a lot. London style chain coverage, coupled with numerous quality independent restaurants increasing, as the poorer quality restaurants have gone bust.

Outdoor spaces are improving, quite rapidly actually. A lot is happening/has happened in the city. I daren't suggest the previous Tory government has played a part in that, though.

The big problem seems to be overpopulation. There is noticeably more people in an incredibly densely populated small city. traffic is worse, walking or cycling in busy areas has become increasingly stressful. Driving isn't even an option now in the central city - although the bus and taxi services make amends for this, as they're very good.

To summarise, I think the city HAS improved. It's great for anyone who likes to eat or drink out, or enjoy outdoor spaces... but the overpopulation is an increasing concern.

So I might leave, we'll see. Eating/drinking out is important to me, and B&H does this incredibly well.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Fair enough, it's not amazing but it's 10 times better than it was a decade ago. Then it was a dump that was basically deserted. I think students whether you like them or not have made that whole area more vibrant and not just full of homeless.
A decade ago was 2014, you genuinely think the City has improved 10 times in that period, wow 😮

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
It's definitely become more gentrified and the proliferation of luxury apartments feels antithetical to what I like about the city. There was also a period where Aroe / Gary and other locals were producing an unreal amount of world class graffiti in prime spots and that era is sadly over.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here