Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Is Brighton & Hove as a city getting better, or getting worse?

Is Brighton and Hove getting better, or getting worse?

• Better

Votes: 48 30.2%
  • Worse

Votes: 111 69.8%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The general feel of the seafront is it needs a lick of paint and I cannot wait for the arches to be started and finished that will really boost the town and feel down there. There are always seedy parts of any city and obviously we have more than are fair share of homeless folk, but that is a product of the social and economic state of the country as a whole and we are no worse here than some poor places.

I take away from this thread so far, those that say they hate or generally do not like the hustle and bustle of the city are just getting old and their priorities change naturally.

The City on the whole is on the up, look around at the new buildings going up, yes more student accommodation, that in turn will free up some houses that used to let for students, that now families have the opportunity to move into, if they can afford it is a totally different conversation.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Echo those that say Brighton is a brilliant place to live. I love it, but recognise it's problems.

I think the Ikea effect is going to be massive. Churchill Square will fill back up and Western Road will be fine

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
Are they luxury though, or cheap builds that will look depressing and weathered in 10 years or less? Those small apartment houses they built behind London Road, near Sainsbury's, look awful now, faded, rain ruined wooden exteriors/cladding, whatever you call it, (why use wood in this climate?) cramped and dark inside, plus I imagine the soundproofing is minimal.
Thinking more of the blocks popping up with gyms/concierge services/eye watering service charges.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
As an outsider who has spent the last 30 years regularly visiting the city I can say with confidence it's fared much better than most places. Still has an incredible array of pubs, a vibrant shopping centre with plenty if independents and there seems to be plenty of investment.

Brighton can be a bit dirty, has it's fair share if social problems and has become ridiculously expensive but it's still one of the best cities in Europe IMO, it is still thriving in a period where most large towns and small cities are in sharp decline.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I think London Road is a dump , it reminds me of Streatham high road , as do western road , Boundary Road,
It's definitely better than it used to be. The Open Market is excellent, retained the old veg, egg and bacon shops etc, while added a few very good places to eat.

Brighton does seem to have got a lot grottier but a) everywhere does and b) maybe we're just getting older and starting to notice those things

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
London Road has somehow only been gentrified on one side. Very strange.
The new shops are mainly nice-looking Asian foodshops and snack bars, presumably positioned on that side of the road to catch the eye of the students coming into London Road from the big student complex in Baker Street

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I've put "worse" because I think it has been on a bit of a decline recently, but I do see improvements coming. As others have said, the rebuilding of the Uni buildings in Lewes Road and London Road has been a real facelift for those coming into Brighton, IKEA will be a huge boon to the city centre and (as a rule) the upkeep is improving.

That said, I'm still glad I don't live in Brighton anymore.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
The general feel of the seafront is it needs a lick of paint and I cannot wait for the arches to be started and finished that will really boost the town and feel down there. There are always seedy parts of any city and obviously we have more than are fair share of homeless folk, but that is a product of the social and economic state of the country as a whole and we are no worse here than some poor places.

I take away from this thread so far, those that say they hate or generally do not like the hustle and bustle of the city are just getting old and their priorities change naturally.

yes more student accommodation, that in turn will free up some houses that used to let for students, that now families have the opportunity to move into,
Mmm not sure about that, the new student blocks are way more expensive per student than say a 3 bed ex local authority in Bevendean, the owners of these will continue to have plenty of demand

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
From a pedestrian's point of view, central Brighton is getting immeasurably better. Valley Gardens is a wonderful addition. And everywhere you look, from Western Road to London Road, the private car's dominance is being eroded in favour of improved facilities, better crossings, wider pavements for people to be able enjoy walking or cycling around this most walkable town. The local bus service is quite superb also. It's all good!

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
People will always moan about it getting worse, but I don't think there's a city I'd rather live in, in the UK as a young person atm. Just Pre Lockdown was the peak but I think everywhere is getting worse post lockdown. I wouldn't move anywhere else, now if they can sort out the rental and house prices that would perfect.

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
I feel the country as a whole got worse under previous national leadership. Brighton was no exception, I am very much hoping for a single painful budget to steady the ship, and then grounds for cautious optimism thereafter.

Only time will tell. And if at the next election Labour are not offering to enter into talks regarding a Customs Union with Europe, and the Lib Dems are, then my allegiance will switch to the Lib Dems, no ifs, no buts.

Edit: I have to say that my view of Brighton is coloured by no longer being resident. Places I knew have disappeared and been replaced, and so part of my discomfort is purely down to old haunts having been swallowed up by time.
if europe is so good .....move to their

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
Lived here since 16 - now 51 so seen some changes.
when you are young everything is exciting and going out is wonderful, you are learning and exploring and everything is great.
when you are old(er) you look at things very differently and concentrate on prices, graffiti and reminisce about being young and when everything was exciting.
I mourn the loss of the Gloucester, Crocodile Cabaret and monthly visits of The Hamsters (R&B band) however Churchill square IS better than the open air version from the 60s, there are great pubs and restaurants, I actually don't mind the i360 there is always something going on, it does seem generally chilled but there is more visual homelessness and drug use.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I think Brighton has been remarkably insulated from the general town centre decay you see when you travel much north of London, (obviously homelessness, drug use and street drinking is a huge issue still). In some way, it seems to exist in it's own little enclave from the rest of the country.

I stay here, despite the high prices because I see it as my gift to my children. When they are old enough, they will have all the choices, the arts, the sport, the beach, the great places to go with your friends, the confidence to be who they want to be

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's definitely become more gentrified and the proliferation of luxury apartments feels antithetical to what I like about the city. There was also a period where Aroe / Gary and other locals were producing an unreal amount of world class graffiti in prime spots and that era is sadly over.
Which luxury apartments are you referring to?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
They have never managed to make London Rd nice.

You can’t make a silk purse out of a cow’s ****.
I haven’t driven into Brighton through London Road for a few years, but recall a building near the one way section (Next to Telecon house I think?) which was derelict for most of my youth that always stood out due to the portraits added to the windows, but recall some cladding to suggest it was being redeveloped have they finally completed it?

Last edited:

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
Which luxury apartments are you referring to?
Places such as these selling a lifestyle as opposed to a place to live

P

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
I haven’t driven into Brighton through London Road for a few years, but recall a building near the one way section (Next to Telecon house think) which was derelict for most of my youth that always stood out due to the portraits added to the windows, have they finally redeveloped it?
Anston House has been demolished, and new apartments are being constructed. Here's a reminder of what was there:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here