Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Bridge fast becoming the new Jason Dodd?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Another ex Stains full back who arrived on a good contract when we had no money at the Withdean - played no part in the season after injury (??) but still picked up his money. Gus if you think now he's going to be problem ship him out and get in a good & fit team player!!!

can't wait for post number 4

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Worth raising the question IMO

He has played about 70 mins pre season unless I missed something ?

Our back up isn't good enough here, Calderon can cover but I wouldnt want him LB for to long.

Hopefully play tonight and come through it ok.

Groin injuries notoriously troublesome

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Worth raising the question IMO

He has played about 70 mins pre season unless I missed something ?

Our back up isn't good enough here, Calderon can cover but I wouldnt want him LB for to long.

Calderon, Bruno, Painter, Vincelot, Sampayo.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Vincelot was cracking last year when he played there. I wouldn't be too upset having him there if Bridge is injured.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Vincelot was cracking last year when he played there. I wouldn't be too upset having him there if Bridge is injured.

Spot on that man. Ignoring the slight 'issue' against Burnley I was impressed with Vincelot last year, he didn't really have a bad game no matter where he was played and I certainly felt happier with him as LB over Painter.

Mike's Small

Apr 11, 2012
Uckfield
While I agree that he should be given a chance, everyone should calm down a bit about Bridge. He is way past his best, very one-footed and extremely injury-prone.

I hope he proves me wrong, but in his brief spell at West Ham he was a massive let-down. Granted that was in the Premier League, but I saw him against some fairly lowly teams and he was regularly beaten with ease down the wing.

Like I said, I hope he proves me, and many others, wrong.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Obviously it's far too early to say this about Bridge, he has to be given a chance.

But the OP aside, I do think Bridge - whatever he and his agent think - is a player with a lot to prove at Brighton this season, and I hope he isn't so up his own arse that he realises that.

You COULD fairly hold a view of Bridge that he is not only injury-prone, but that he has played effectively half a career by hanging around at big clubs on mega money when it was clear he wasn't going to play regularly. Personally, that is not a trait I like in players. They should want to play, even for £60,000-a-week instead of £80,000-a-week.

You have to give him a chance to get fit, but then I want to see him with the right attitude. I don't care who he has done well for elsewhere, I want to see him playing well for Brighton.

I am also concerned that he has asked the club not to talk to the national media about this move. Fair enough if he bans any questions about the Terry situation, that involved his family and was not of his making. But he should be talking about the football side, we are an important club, with a chance of promotion, and he is arguably our 'biggest' (in terms of England caps and previous clubs) ever signing. That alone should mean he talks about it, not for him, but for Brighton.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I am also concerned that he has asked the club not to talk to the national media about this move. Fair enough if he bans any questions about the Terry situation, that involved his family and was not of his making. But he should be talking about the football side, we are an important club, with a chance of promotion, and he is arguably our 'biggest' (in terms of England caps and previous clubs) ever signing. That alone should mean he talks about it, not for him, but for Brighton.

Where has this come from?

FYI, I think Wayne is pretty committed, he has even brought a box for this season for his friends and family!

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
You COULD fairly hold a view of Bridge that he is not only injury-prone, but that he has played effectively half a career by hanging around at big clubs on mega money when it was clear he wasn't going to play regularly.

I've found generally in life that a person's view of anothers behaviour is very often based on their own personality and character.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
At the risk of incurring the NSC wrath I can't help but admit I have doubts over how successful his loan spell will be. Really not trying to be negative and hope he is an absolute star for us.

BUT, we all know how important the pre season period is and how unfortunately Bridge hasn't featured in most of it. It's not going to be easy just to slot straight in after missing most of the friendlies. If he plays tonight and against Swindon then that'll go a big way to changing my mind. But if he doesn't I can see him being similar to Vicente at the start of last year, and making a few appearances here and there and never getting a real run in the side till the end of the season. I know Vicente was worth the wait and I was always one of the ones that was happy to wait for him to be ready, rather than getting on his back over the injuries or over the slight delay in him returning to us this summer. But, Vicente's attacking midfield position was a lot easier to drop in and out of with disrupting the team, whereas I think all parts of the defence need to be as settled as possible and not chopped and changed. Vicente was always a 2 year 'project' in Gus' eyes and he was happy to sacrifice a lot of the 1st year with him, to have the benefit of the 2nd. Bridge isn't the same in that he's just a 1 year loan deal.

Gus has always valued getting quality full backs in and settled, firstly with Calderon/Painter then this season with Bruno/Bridge. Will be a real shame if Bridge can't settle in and become a regular and we keep having to fit in Calderon and Vincelot as cover. While they've always done well at left back when needed, it's really not the same as having natural full backs playing week in week out which is obviously what Gus is after and would be key to our successes.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Where has this come from?

FYI, I think Wayne is pretty committed, he has even brought a box for this season for his friends and family!

Well that's taken care of about 3 days salary then :lol:

I thought there was a waiting list for boxes? I must have been wrong

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here