Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Brezovan really that bad?

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
He had been brilliant before the Liverpool game, other than a ricket at Leeds where he failed to gather a ball across the box which Mattock had to clear. Also, the defence looked more secure with him in goal, so therefore to slate him for one game is excessive. However, catching does appear a weak point and one that must be worked on if he is to stay our Number One. I can't remember him letting in a shot I would have expected him to save since he's been with us, but all his mistakes apart from Leeds (both mistakes) and Tottenham have been down to not dealing properly with high balls:

Charlton away (2009-2010 - weak punch. Charlton scored)
Leeds away (2009-2010 - poor throw-out to Virgo, leaving him in the lurch. Virgo sent off)
Carlisle home (2009-2010 - weak punch I think; can't remember that one too well. Carlisle scored)
Stoke away (2010-2011 - out-jumped by John Carew, who scored)
Tottenham home (2011-2012. Threw ball straight out to Tottenham player. Tottenham scored)
Leeds away (2011-2012 - failed to take low cross. Cleared by Mattock)
Millwall home (2011-2012 - weak punch. Millwall scored. As I was not there, I can't say whether he or Navarro should take responsibility)
Liverpool away (2011-2012 - weak punch)

I don't think the answer that Continental keepers punch rather than catch is any good; the English game tends to be more aerial, and so punching immediately puts you under pressure. Therefore this is something Godden seriously needs to work on. Saying that, yes I think I'd be happy with him in goal for the rest of this season. Really, other than the Millwall punch and the second goal at Liverpool, has he cost us a goal this season?

Last edited:

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Brezovan is not that bad, he made some saves on Sunday that I didn't expect him to but also let himself down.

But how many championship sides have a better goal keeper than him? I would say he is average compared to others in this league, but ultimately we need top quality in every position if we wanna go up so I'd expect a new keeper to arrive in the summer or sooner

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
His biggest problem is doesn't use his height to his advantage and in his position he must be reliable which he isn't but then neither is Ankergren so perhaps Gus will bring in a new keeper in the summer or as I have suggested many times look at the GK coach Tony Godden, who was very good keeper but is he a good coach?.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
although generally happy with brez since he's come back in, and do think he'll hold down the spot for the time being,
i can only presume gus is waiting 'til the summer until he's got the cash to get a more dominant/adequate keeper in on a longer term deal, rather than chopping and changing too much this season, as maybe he's seen other areas of the squad as more of a priority, and see's what we have as enough for this seasons aspirations, (possible play offs)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here