Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is being English BETTER than being Welsh or Scottish?

Artois

is 100% of your RDA
Jul 5, 2003
Hooters
england-flag-092.jpg

Well?

:jester:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Must admit that with long deceased Scottish Grandparentage I've occasionally fancied 'doing a Rod Stewart' and supporting a less glam international team like Scotland (nice flag as well) rather than England.

Last edited:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
And Tunnock's teacakes.

We are not worthy. If they have those Tunnocks wafer bars whose name I can't remember but that come in gold and red diagonal striped wrappers as well I'm there!

As an Englishman I have often asked myself, what is it to be English?

My answer has to be, I haven't a clue. I am no more proud to be English than I am to be a human being. I had no say in it, how on earth can you be proud that your parents shagged?

On the flip side, I support England at football & Cricket (Egg chasing can go screw itself), but surely it this is a regional thing rather than some preprogrammed genetic loyalty.

We live in a big world, with instant communication. I probably have more in common with many people who enjoy the same things and earn a similar wage throughout the modern world, than a northern coalminer. (That said, I'm glad I'm not Scottish, because my life expectancy is markedly higher living down here!)

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Bit awkward as what qualifies us as being English?

I am English, my mum is half French, my Dad is a Geordie, my sisters are married to Welshmen and two of my five kids are Scottish!!!

I am Sussex by the Sea born and bred, but consider myself British rather than English!

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Soton Seagull said:
(That said, I'm glad I'm not Scottish, because my life expectancy is markedly higher living down here!)

That's all pretty relative. The average life expectancy in Milngavie is probably higher than that in Tower Hamlets, but in Coatbridge it's probably lower than in Horsham.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Genetics haven't got ANYTHING to do with nationality. Your home should be where you most feel at home.

If that makes sense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here