Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Barry Lloyd part of the problem?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Hold it shit for brains, YOU said he scored 3 or 4 goals, and you can't even add up, 13 + 5 = 18, not 13, so why don't you admit that you were WRONG when you said 3 or 4? Can't count, can't think, you are so full of f***ing shit your eyes must be brown.

Try reading my post properly dunce, it clearly says league appearances unless you can explain how he managed to score 5 cup goals in league games?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Try reading my post properly dunce, it clearly says league appearances unless you can explain how he managed to score 5 cup goals in league games?

No it doesn't you stupid prick, this is EXACTLY what it says

what? got any stats? He went to wet spam and scored about 3 or 4 goals then that was about it.

Where the f*** does it mention league goals?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Nelson, 47 goals for the Albion, named in Plymouth Argyle's team of the century. No one who saw that goal in the FA Cup against Brentford would criticise him. All round top bloke.

Mark Gall 13 goals in 31 games in a side that was relegated that season.

Keith Dublin 132 games and an excellent centre half

Clive Walker, played over 100 times for the Albion, hardly evident of someone who only lasted half an hour

Mark Beeney signed for £30k, sold for £350k and played in the Premiership

Colin Pates, oozed class

Stevan Iovan, Captain of the 1986 European Cup winners, that's WHO you f***ing thick piece of shit.

Yes Nelson was ace but 33? goals in one season. Walker may have played 100 games but he spent about half the games getting his breath back and regaining his balance.

Colin Pates oozed retirement, which he did, he could just about hack it at that level.

sorry cant remember Iovan, did he play any games for us? That says it all. If they were horses half would be taken out the back and shot and a quarter would be racing in Class 6 claimers at southall.

I'm not impressed by your stand as Loydd apologist-in cheif.:wrong:

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
riginally Posted by looney View Post
He scored 13 up to october then 5 more for the rest of the season when he was being subbed of regularly. none in 5 games the next season. 13 goals in 49 league appearances, 7 as sub. Hardly setting the division on fire was he?

The clue here is the word league.:thumbsup:

:shit:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
what? got any stats? He went to wet spam and scored about 3 or 4 goals then that was about it.:wave:

Hold it, this is EXACTLY what you ORIGINALLY posted. It clearly says 3 or 4 goals, not 13, not 18, but 3 or 4.

You are as usual being a revisionist and selectively quoting yourself.

As for Pates and Iovan, they were the centre half pairing that we had in 1990/91, the year we got to the play off final, the highest finish the club has had in the last 26 years.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Hold it, this is EXACTLY what you ORIGINALLY posted. It clearly says 3 or 4 goals, not 13, not 18, but 3 or 4.

You are as usual being a revisionist and selectively quoting yourself.

As for Pates and Iovan, they were the centre half pairing that we had in 1990/91, the year we got to the play off final, the highest finish the club has had in the last 26 years.

Of course I revised it when I realised it was wrong. What do you expect, me to stick to 3 or 4?

I'm not das riech you know I can admit error and change my mind.
Fact is he was a defacto one season wonder although he had a good start at west ham.

And everything else I posted generally holds as well. We scrapped the play-offs and most of the season eaked out results but the football was awfull.

Now take a chill pill or I'll dig up some of the crap you post on economics and intellectually shred it....again.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Of course I revised it when I realised it was wrong. What do you expect, me to stick to 3 or 4?

Fact is he was a defacto one season wonder although he had a good start at west ham.

And everything else I posted generally holds as well. We scrapped the play-offs and most of the season eaked out results but the football was awfull.

Now take a chill pill or I'll dig up some of the crap you post on economics and intellectually shred it....again.

Presumably you wil now admit the assertion you made about Mark Gall (4 or 5 goals) and signings in general (90% signed were dross, 90% let go were quality) were also way off the mark.

As for shredding anyone intellectually, there must be a first time for everything.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Fact is he was a defacto one season wonder

He only played one season for us, I don't particularly give a shit what he did for anyone else.

As for being a Lloyd apologist, that's bollocks. To you everything is black and white, I prefer to take a balanced approach.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Haven't read all of the posts but on here for all his misgivings Barry Lloyd generally seems to be given short shrift, players like Nicky Bissett and Robert Codner were players who would of given the club massive profits (if I remember correctly Bissett was due to make a move to Ipswich for 500k but then done his cruciate, in Codners case it was his questionable dealings off the pitch) either way I think we signed them both for a combined fee of 115k, also Mark Gall would of been a cracking player for us if he didn't get a terrible injury, fact of the matter is on a shoestring Lloyd almost got us into what is now the premiership and I think some people need to remember that. Looney saying the football was generally dross obviously wasn't at the playoff semi final against Millwall which was probably the best game of football I have ever been to, and if you was there you wouldn't be saying lovan who!!

Just to jog your memory

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2_T2Xsq8xw

He's the Chief Scout, for pity's sake - he makes recommendations, but it should be the manager that has the final say (finance permitting, which is where the board come in, of course).
If only.

Adams never had the luxury of the final say. If he found a player he wanted, he had to wait an age to get "the approval of the board" (or was it Lloyd's approval?) - and, as often as not, the target was lost. Too often the best that Adams could achieve was a loan signing.

kevinsmith

Jan 25, 2004
Portslade
Barry Lloyd is Blooms man and will not be going anywhere. I beleive he is THE problem. Bringing players to the club previous managers did not want.

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
Yes

If only.

Adams never had the luxury of the final say. If he found a player he wanted, he had to wait an age to get "the approval of the board" (or was it Lloyd's approval?) - and, as often as not, the target was lost. Too often the best that Adams could achieve was a loan signing.

Yes, LB you are back to the point here. Regardless of whether you think Lloyd was a good manager (incidentally I do not) the point is you cannot have someone second guessing the manager. Like Curbishley and Keegan and their Directors of Football it is a recipe for disaster.

By the way, I find it incredible he was brought back - and to place store in his incoherent opinions is bizarre. Needs to stop.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Interesting discussion.....

There are 2 points for me.... As Chief Scout, of course Barry Lloyd should recommend players (that is what he is paid to do), but the manager should have the final say, which I understand they do/did. This includes Mickey Adams (see Craig Davies, Hawkins, Carole, etc etc) some of whom Lloyd did not rate and warned the club against purchasing. Clearly these were errors of judgement by the Manager.

Re the discussion on Barry Lloyds record. Surely 1 game away from the now Premier League with no budget can only be regarded as a huge achievement. Any negativity towards this fact is ridiculous and cannot be backed up.

Leaving the club in a worse state? Maybe league position wise, but not financially as the players that were sold kept the club afloat and we would have gone to the wall otherwise. He did inherit a terrible debt.

Mike Small - 2 season wonder perhaps. 1 with us, 1 in the old division 1.

Whilst I am sure the Bloom's ask Barry Lloyd advice on football matters, I would suggest this will probably relate to managerial appointments also, therefore he will look a bit silly if having recommended somebody he then doesn't back them up.

Incidentally, I do not wish Lloydy to return as manager, as his time has gone.

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
Lloyd Again

I have been watching Albion since 1973 and Barry Lloyd is the only manager I can remember who had the whole Goldstone crowd chanting for him to go. For those that remember we were desperate to get rid of him. For any good that he did I remember him playing Richard Tiltman and leaving Dean Saunders on the bench. I also remember him playing Geoff Cooper (never a Legue player) for a few games and saying "he gives the team a nice shape"!

Anyone who has been in his presence will know he has some questionable views (I will leave it at that!). I remember Liam Brady saying there was no discipline at the club when he took over, and that players brought friends into the changing rooms, and also smoked in there before games. So lets not look at him with rose tinted glasses.

If Tony Bloom rates him so highly he should make him manager and stand by the consequences. What I am sure of is he should not let him have an unaccountable position interfering with the manager. This really could help explain why Micky did so inexplicably badly the second time round, and why Slade, for all his apparent sense failed.

Last edited:

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
If only.

I wasn't aware of this before, quite worrying really.
LLOYD OUT :angry:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I have been watching Albion since 1973 and Barry Lloyd is the only manager I can remember who had the whole Goldstone crowd chanting for him to go. For those that remember we were desperate to get rid of him. For any good that he did I remember him playing Richard Tiltman and leaving Dean Saunders on the bench. I also remember him playing Geoff Cooper (never a Legue player) for a few games and saying "he gives the team a nice shape"!

Anyone who has been in his presence will know he has some questionable views (I will leave it at that!). I remember Liam Brady saying there was no discipline at the club when he took over, and that players brought friends into the changing rooms, and also smoked in there before games. So lets not look at him with rose tinted glasses.

If Tony Bloom rates him so highly he should make him manager and stand by the consequences. What I am sure of is he should not let him have an unaccountable position interfering with the manager. This really could help explain why Micky did so inexplicably badly the second time round, and why Slade, for all his apparent sense failed.

Just go up to him and ask him about Sheila Ferguson, or sing 'When Will I See You Again?'

And walk away.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here