Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Barry Lloyd doing it again ?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I do love a good conspiracy theory, this one has got the Adams in brigade knocking one out.

Do you think there is a Bloom on this board stirring things up, or are we good enough at it anyway, without outside assistance.

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
Well this is the most entertaining thread I've read for a while. We all love a good conspiracy theory right?

But Barry Lloyd?!! That's just got to be complete bollocks.

Lloyd was the one man I could never accept as manager of the Albion. He had no track record which gave him any credibility to start with (Worthing manager for f**K sake!). He appeared to despise the supporters...anyone else remember his quote about us fans "working down the chip shop in the week"? As some on here are implying his chief talent seems to have been knowing the right people.

If this should happen-I really can't see it-then my season ticket is being thrown back in shreds.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Well this is the most entertaining thread I've read for a while. We all love a good conspiracy theory right?

But Barry Lloyd?!! That's just got to be complete bollocks.

Lloyd was the one man I could never accept as manager of the Albion. He had no track record which gave him any credibility to start with (Worthing manager for f**K sake!). He appeared to despise the supporters...anyone else remember his quote about us fans "working down the chip shop in the week"? As some on here are implying his chief talent seems to have been knowing the right people.

If this should happen-I really can't see it-then my season ticket is being thrown back in shreds.

completely agree.

I doubt that Lloyd would ever take over the managers role again.

Personally, he's in my top ten most hated people ever to have had anything to do with Brighton.

The man shouldn't even be allowed anywhere near the club.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
For anyone with a bad memory, Barry Lloyd was UTTER, UTTER, GASH.

If you think things are bad now, then they would a million times worse under him.

His tactics and motivation were appalling (see Gary Nelson & the Play Off final) and I'm sure it was him that put the idea into Bellotti's head about getting outline planning permission for a retail park at the Goldstone, that would increase the freehold value, which would allow the club to increase its borrowings at the bank (I need to re-read my copy of Build a Bonfire again).

The rest as they say - is history.

:shootself :shootself:shootself

The man is a clueless fool.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
For anyone with a bad memory, Barry Lloyd was UTTER, UTTER, GASH.

If you think things are bad now, then they would a million times worse under him.

His tactics and motivation were appalling (see Gary Nelson & the Play Off final) and I'm sure it was him that put the idea into Bellotti's head about getting outline planning permission for a retail park at the Goldstone, that would increase the freehold value, which would allow the club to increase its borrowings at the bank (I need to re-read my copy of Build a Bonfire again).

The rest as they say - is history.

:shootself :shootself:shootself

The man is a clueless fool.

:clap::clap:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Top post by Earnest:clap:

Adams needs proper backing from Knight and the Blooms, the real owners of the club.

I am very worried that the fairly obvious boardroom split is now causing problems at the club.

One of the reasons that Knight has in the past been so succesful is that he was able to run the club in a dictatorial way with his vision and it worked. Since the Blooms have become more influential, Knight has had to please them as well. The first instance of this was when the Blooms wanted McGhee to go after that end of season 5-1 drubbing by Stoke(?). Knight dug in but eventually gave in and allowed Blooms wish of bringing Wilkins in. I suspect the sacking of Wilkins was not all together popular. I have no way knowing but it wouldn't surprise me if Knight said it was him or Wilkins, and because the Blooms fo not want to be chairman of the football club right now they gave in to Wilkins. Now its all gone wrong I suspect the Blooms are saying to Knight , look what you have done, sort it out if you want us to invest any more in the squad. It is a mess.

The point about Barry Lloyd is also very relevant. He was one of the least popular managers of all time. He was hopeless tactically although you have to say he did get us promoted and nearly won the play offs. Beyond that though his managerial skills were poor and he had no relationship with the fans. Since being appointed as chief scout what has he delivered for all his strange funded trips abroad. Absolutely nothing.

I have never forgotten Bloom's inability to do anything about Archer, and the way he clung onto the board position for too long. Only resigning when some heat came his way. It wasn't his fault but he was in a position to have at least highlighted what was going on much earlier. I only hope his nephew has more backbone.

Stick with Adams, give him some proper support and we will be okay.

And the battle between Knight and the Blooms must be resolved sooner rather than later because it is not helping Mickey.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
completely agree.

I doubt that Lloyd would ever take over the managers role again.

Personally, he's in my top ten most hated people ever to have had anything to do with Brighton.

The man shouldn't even be allowed anywhere near the club.

Although ironically it was Belotti/Stanley and Archer that finally had the good sense to sack him!!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Top post by Earnest:clap:

Adams needs proper backing from Knight and the Blooms, the real owners of the club.

I am very worried that the fairly obvious boardroom split is now causing problems at the club.

One of the reasons that Knight has in the past been so succesful is that he was able to run the club in a dictatorial way with his vision and it worked. Since the Blooms have become more influential, Knight has had to please them as well. The first instance of this was when the Blooms wanted McGhee to go after that end of season 5-1 drubbing by Stoke(?). Knight dug in but eventually gave in and allowed Blooms wish of bringing Wilkins in. I suspect the sacking of Wilkins was not all together popular. I have no way knowing but it wouldn't surprise me if Knight said it was him or Wilkins, and because the Blooms fo not want to be chairman of the football club right now they gave in to Wilkins. Now its all gone wrong I suspect the Blooms are saying to Knight , look what you have done, sort it out if you want us to invest any more in the squad. It is a mess.

The point about Barry Lloyd is also very relevant. He was one of the least popular managers of all time. He was hopeless tactically although you have to say he did get us promoted and nearly won the play offs. Beyond that though his managerial skills were poor and he had no relationship with the fans. Since being appointed as chief scout what has he delivered for all his strange funded trips abroad. Absolutely nothing.

I have never forgotten Bloom's inability to do anything about Archer, and the way he clung onto the board position for too long. Only resigning when some heat came his way. It wasn't his fault but he was in a position to have at least highlighted what was going on much earlier. I only hope his nephew has more backbone.

Stick with Adams, give him some proper support and we will be okay.

And the battle between Knight and the Blooms must be resolved sooner rather than later because it is not helping Mickey.

I think you're firing a few blanks there.

Firstly, Ernest's point is a possible theory - you're treating it as nailed-on gospel.

Secondly, the point about the Blooms specifically wanting Wilkins in doesn't ring true.

Thirdly, I still think, hopefully someone can provide the latest figures, that Dick Knight can still outvote a combined vote of Ray and Tony Bloom should any need ever occur. The other issue is that other shareholders are not being taken into consideration onvoting issues.

Finally, Ray Bloom has said time and again that he doesn't want to be chairman. And seeing as Tony Bloom can't be chairman, what is all this about 'power and control'?

I think people are putting two and two together and coming up with an answer they can't back up. It's a possible theory, give it a squeeze and lo, it fits, therefore it's true. The only rumours of boardroom splits are on here, although it's amazing how quickly an unsubtantiated rumour soon becomes fact, especially from those who (like everyone on here) are guessing.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
I think people are putting two and two together and coming up with an answer they can't back up. It's a possible theory, give it a squeeze and lo, it fits, therefore it's true. The only rumours of boardroom splits are on here, although it's amazing how quickly an unsubtantiated rumour soon becomes fact, especially from those who (like everyone on here) are guessing.

In all fairness to the posters on here who've said this, it was Ian Hart who stoked the flames of gossip on the phone in yesterday.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
In all fairness to the posters on here who've said this, it was Ian Hart who stoked the flames of gossip on the phone in yesterday.

How do you come by that conclusion.

Harty said are we blaming the right man and I took that to mean he thought that DK was not sticking by his word to provide the cash etc to sign players and I am sure many others thought the same.

The rumours about the Blooms has come about by appraently one of them spouting off in a hotel in Brighton.

So much as you may wish to this cannot be laid at Hartys feet.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Thirdly, I still think, hopefully someone can provide the latest figures, that Dick Knight can still outvote a combined vote of Ray and Tony Bloom should any need ever occur. The other issue is that other shareholders are not being taken into consideration onvoting issues.

Isn't the issue that the Blooms have the dosh? My understanding (and I could be wildly wrong) is that the Blooms have effectively funded us over the past few years. A boardroom vote with Knight v Bloom would not be particularly useful - the board really do have to try to work together.

I'm pretty sure that Knight AND the Blooms wanted Adams back. Isn't the issue now more about some scepticism on the part of the Blooms regarding Micky's (and/or DK's) transfer targets. At the end of the day it'll be the Blooms who fund the transfer fees, so I guess they have a right to have a say. However, this makes things rather complex, with probably four different parties getting involved:

- Micky
- DK
- Barry Lloyd
- The Blooms

No wonder DK has long conversations with Micky at the training ground - it takes a long time to sort the issues with so many views to take into account.

As Giraffe said (I think), things were much easier when DK pretty much had carte blanche to do what he wanted. Now it's not so simple.

Hopefully DK and the Blooms will sort it out, because God forbid we end up with Barry Lloyd as manager.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here