Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Irish Fans tonight

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Thankfully they are out and we won't have to put up with people banging on about how great their fans are for much longer and missing the fact that their team is utter dog shit.

don't think anyone is missing that.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Roy Keane just said they should change their mentality and want their team to win and not just go along for the sing song !

that's mental. What more can you do as a fan than sing to support your team?

Send out positive vibes? Shout out slogans? Run on the pitch and score a goal?

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
They would sound even better with a band playing Danny Boy over and over again :D:

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Germans, Dutch, Poles, Croatians, Ukrainians and the Russians have all been more passionate inside the stadium creating a far better atmosphere in their matches, in my opinion !

Yes but have traveled the same distance to a tournament where they knew they wouldn't get out of group stages AND continued to sing 4-0 down?

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
This to a point . A dirty bastard at times but thats a winning mentality about not being there for a sing song.

Yeah, but if you've realistically go sod all chance of winning a game then you might as well enjoy yourself and get behind your team in some fashion. I don't think mentality comes into it with Ireland, I think squad shitness plays a much bigger part.

D

Deleted member 18477

Roy Keane just said they should change their mentality and want their team to win and not just go along for the sing song !

Thought they were dreadful and an embarrassment to football. Every single one of them was decked head to toe in green and had some stupid head gear on.

Fair play to them for travelling in numbers but it's their cup final just getting to the finals so you'd expect them to.

Got to be up their with the Dutch as the biggest wallies when it comes to fans, however they both could be trumped by the French if they manage to get some poultry on to the field.

Thankfully they are out and we won't have to put up with people banging on about how great their fans are for much longer and missing the fact that their team is utter dog shit.

Agreed!

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
This thread is f***ing hilarious. Let's bounce it within a week when England are out of the Euros, and their fans have travelled in shit numbers and done nothing but moan the whole tournament. Who will still be high and mighty about the Irish support?

If you think Irish fans aren't fuming about mistakes made against Croatia and (to a lesser extent) Spain you are wrong. But ultimately, 1) we are happy to be at a tournament, and 2) money has been spent and trips have been made, and the best has to be made of them, regardless of results. I like the fact we don't just round on our team after every single game.

COME ON YOU BOYS IN GREEN.

Last edited:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Thought they were dreadful and an embarrassment to football. Every single one of them was decked head to toe in green and had some stupid head gear on.

Fair play to them for travelling in numbers but it's their cup final just getting to the finals so you'd expect them to.

Got to be up their with the Dutch as the biggest wallies when it comes to fans, however they both could be trumped by the French if they manage to get some poultry on to the field.

Disagree with the sentiment in this post. I thought the singing at the end was very moving and they were a credit to football. Even without the errors Ireland simply do not have the quality of players available to even remotely compete at the top level, so moaning about the team is rather moot. It's like entering a ford fiesta in a grand prix and then moaning about the driver not being able to keep up with a McClaren.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Disagree with the sentiment in this post. I thought the singing at the end was very moving and they were a credit to football. Even without the errors Ireland simply do not have the quality of players available to even remotely compete at the top level, so moaning about the team is rather moot. It's like entering a ford fiesta in a grand prix and then moaning about the driver not being able to keep up with a McClaren.

Is correct, when you have Paul Green, (former avg Derby utility player) to save the day, you know you're in trouble. I guess some credit for the team being better than the sum of its parts, but by miles the worst squad in the tournament...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
that's mental. What more can you do as a fan than sing to support your team?

Send out positive vibes? Shout out slogans? Run on the pitch and score a goal?

He wasn't referring to the fans, he was referring to the players needing to give the fans more than just a sing song. I don't think it was a criticism of the fans at all.

Stumpy Tim

This thread is f***ing hilarious. Let's bounce it within a week when England are out of the Euros, and their fans have travelled in shit numbers and done nothing but moan the whole tournament. Who will still be high and mighty about the Irish support?

If you think Irish fans aren't fuming about mistakes made against Croatia and (to a lesser extent) Spain you are wrong. But ultimately, 1) we are happy to be at a tournament, and 2) money has been spent and trips have been made, and the best has to be made of them, regardless of results. I like the fact we don't just round on our team after every single game.

COME ON YOU BOYS IN GREEN.

To be fair though, it's much easier to be all jolly when your team is getting utterly dicked and has no chance of progressing. England's expectations are more than that, hence we tend to watch matches that are tight - hence the English concentrate on the game itself. If we were utter garbage throughout the tournament I think our fans would also be having more of a laugh.

This isn't a criticism of the Irish fans I should add. It's a criticism of how shit their team is. And that I wasted £20 betting on them to progress

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Germans, Dutch, Poles, Croatians, Ukrainians and the Russians have all been more passionate inside the stadium creating a far better atmosphere in their matches, in my opinion !

Best support so far, Poland, by a considerable amount.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

I'm not moaning about their team we all know it's not good enough. I'm moaning about the love in from the commentators (and now on this board) about how great the Irish support is/was.

It's the same with the Scots, where ever they go you have people banging on about how great the tartan army is and how it's taken over the city they are playing in.

Anyone who's been to an international game involving Ireland or Scotland will tell you their fans are a drunken disgrace to their respective nations. They behave in a way that is vilified by the press on a weekly basis when reporting on binge drinking or broken Britain. It would seem that the same behaviour is tolerated if you are wearing a tartan skirt or a silly top hat at a game of football.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I'm not moaning about their team we all know it's not good enough. I'm moaning about the love in from the commentators (and now on this board) about how great the Irish support is/was.

It's the same with the Scots, where ever they go you have people banging on about how great the tartan army is and how it's taken over the city they are playing in.

Anyone who's been to an international game involving Ireland or Scotland will tell you their fans are a drunken disgrace to their respective nations. They behave in a way that is vilified by the press on a weekly basis when reporting on binge drinking or broken Britain. It would seem that the same behaviour is tolerated if you are wearing a tartan skirt or a silly top hat at a game of football.

To be fair, I actually agree with you, particularly with the Scots. I just thought last night the praise was justified. The singing last night was a dignified response to the utter tripe that had been served to them on the pitch.

Peever

Sep 5, 2010
Canada

Can you direct us to any articles in relation to the Euros where they go on and on about how vile the Irish supporters have been? Everything I have seen done has been nothing but praise (even before last nights match)

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Can you direct us to any articles in relation to the Euros where they go on and on about how vile the Irish supporters have been? Everything I have seen done has been nothing but praise (even before last nights match)

Errmmmm no of course I can't. I'm pretty sure there hasn't been one, I certainly haven't read one. But that is the point I'm making which you seemed to have completely missed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here