Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ireland v Pakistan

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I had a right result getting bloody Pakistan in the sweep didn't I?

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
turienzo's lovechild said:
yeah! on paddy;s day aswell

ireland could go through couldn't they

All it needs now is for Zimbabwe to lose to the West Indies and Pakistan and they're through!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
What an amazing day for sport yesterday, the end of the six nations was exciting for a change with the winner going down to the wire, even if England did get pretty much put to the sword by the Welsh. We then had two shocks in the cricket, a double of Bangladesh and Ireland would have earn't a fair few quid...plus the Spurs keeper scores from a free kick. To cap it all the Albion come from behind to get a point agains the mighty Scunny.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't think it's overstating the case to say Ireland have done sport in general a huge favour in this tournament, let alone merely cricket.

A bunch of no-hopers have gone out and done one of the pre-tournament favourites when they should have had zero chance of doing so. And to think that if many pundits had their way, they wouldn't even have been allowed to participate.

Both matches have been superb to watch, shame yesterday's was on at the same time as India v Bangladesh which was nearly as compelling.

One of the greatest sporting victories ever, and one in the eye for the cynics.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I stayed up to watch the game (having fallen asleep during MOTD), the reactions of the Irish fans were amazing, I never knew the sport was so popular in Ireland.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Fantastic result by Ireland - well done and had me on the edge of my seat due to the wobbler near the end...

Although their captain sounds rather ummm Australian?? :lol: and I did think he was a bit wafty lofty at every ball that was bowled at him....

I'm well pleased that BBQ chef looking captain of Pakistan was put in his place!

Congrats Ireland - great result!!

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
You are right about the captain sounding a bit Australian, my bet would be that he emigrated there as a kid...but hell, who cares!

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Gully said:
You are right about the captain sounding a bit Australian, my bet would be that he emigrated there as a kid...but hell, who cares!

Says he was born in Australia, in Wollongong (where I went to Uni.), must have Irish parents then!

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Must do, would possibly account for the unusual accent.

My mum has a cousin who is Irish and lives in Germany, her daughters were born, grew up and still live there, apparently they speak English with an Irish accent...guess they can only have got that from their mum.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Ahhh found it - google came up trumps, Johnston went to Ireland on his gap year, and ended up marrying an Irish gal and now has a few kids and lives there.... Been there for donkeys apparently!

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Aha, so he must be a naturalised Irishman. Wonder what the qualification to play cricket for the country is, because one of the others has a name that sounds a bit South African.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Surely you can't mean Botha?

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Yup - must be naturalised...

There are 3 Aussies in there - haven't worked out how the rest are playing there yet though...

I'm not sure what the deal is really, I'd suppose you'd have to be naturalised, like you say, although that for me would mean giving up my Australian citizenship - which I'd never do....I can hold both passports though - same as my son, even though he was born in Worthing. If he turns out any good at cricket - we'll have a dilemma deciding who he should play for. :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here