Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ipswich v Leicester..............

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
When on Surrey County FA we always allowed the score to stand in abandoned matches after 68 mins irrespective of the reason for the abandonment and I assumed that was an FA Rule. Didnt this happen at Swindon when we were getting hammered and the ref called it off after about b5 mins of the 2nd half so that the score wouldnt stand. Today the ref abandoned the Luton game at 50 mins before anybody scored. The game is then automatically replayed.

The Brighton Bear

Come on Kylie, get a grip
NSC Patron
May 3, 2010
Rottingdean
The discussion of how long of a match has to be played was brought up when we faced FC united.

OFFIAL THREAD**FC United of Manchester v Brighton and Hove Albion** FC FA cup replay

The laws of the game says abandoned games are replayed unless competition rules state otherwise. The fa cup rules do not state otherwise, neither (as far as I can determine) do the league rules.

80mins may be enough for bookies to pay out (I don't know about that), but as far as I can determine the whole match has to be played for the result to count in the league.

That is exactly what I have always believed.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
When on Surrey County FA we always allowed the score to stand in abandoned matches after 68 mins irrespective of the reason for the abandonment and I assumed that was an FA Rule. Didnt this happen at Swindon when we were getting hammered and the ref called it off after about b5 mins of the 2nd half so that the score wouldnt stand. Today the ref abandoned the Luton game at 50 mins before anybody scored. The game is then automatically replayed.

That was a classic - we were 4-0 down and the match was abandoned. I think the replayed match was a 1-1 draw, but we were already up by then, so it didn't matter.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Have sent an e mail to Football League asking for a definitive answerabout the score standing and the rule that covers it. If and when I geta reply I will post it on here.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I've never heard of thie 'score standing' rule in the FL, although I could understand it happening at a lower league level.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Just done a bit more digging around.

All the laws of the game say is what I posted before Abandoned games must be replayed unless the laws of the competition say otherwise.

The rules and regulation of the FA say this:

----------

9. Abandoned Matches
When a referee’s report indicates that a match has been abandoned due to misconduct
of either team, The Football Association or appropriate Affiliated Association shall without
delay investigate the official’s report. If after such investigation, the chairman and secretary
of the Association, or their nominees, are satisfied that a prima facie case can be made out
against the Club/participants, such steps shall be taken as are necessary to ensure that a
charge is preferred and that a Disciplinary Commission meets to consider the charge within
28 days of the date of the charge letter.

14. Abandoned Matches
When a referee’s report indicates that a match has been abandoned due to misconduct
of either team, The Football Association or appropriate Affiliated Association shall without
delay investigate the official’s report. If after such investigation, the chairman and secretary
of the Association, or their nominees, are satisfied that a prima facie case can be made out
against the Club/participants, such steps shall be taken as are necessary to ensure that a
charge is preferred and that a Disciplinary Commission meets to consider the charge within
28 days of the date of the charge letter.

Standard Code of Rules
In the event of a match not being played or abandoned owing to causes over which
neither Club has control, it shall be played in its entirety on a date to be mutually agreed
by the two Clubs and approved by the Management Committee. Failing such agreement
and notification to the (Fixtures) Secretary within days the Management
Committee shall have power to order the match to be played on a named date or on or
before a given date. Providing gate money is taken and retained the visiting Club shall
receive their actual standard class rail or bus fares or the equivalent for
persons, or car allowance at p per mile for transporting
persons, or hire charge of a coach (receipt to be submitted). The residue (if any) to be
equally divided between the two Clubs after deducting the cost of advertising, printing,
posting, police and match officials charges. The home Club shall take the whole of the
proceeds of the second match.

The Management Committee shall review all matches abandoned in cases where it is
consequent upon the conduct of either or both Teams. Where it is to the advantage of the
Competition and does no injustice to either Club, the Management Committee shall be
empowered to order the score at the time of the adandonment to stand. In all cases where
the Management Committee are satisfied that a match was abandoned owing to the
conduct of one team or its Club member(s) they shall be empowered to award the points
for the match to the opponent
. In cases where a match has been abandoned owing to the
conduct of both teams or their Club member(s), the Management Committee shall rule all
points for the match as void. No fine(s) can be applied by the Management Committee for
an abandoned match.

Standardised Rules
8. PLAYING OF MATCHES.
8.1 The Board shall fix the date on which the Playing Season shall commence.
8.2 All matches shall be played under the Rules and Regulations of The FA and in accordance
with the Laws of the Game as determined by the International Football Association Board.
8.3.1 All matches shall be of ninety minutes duration. The half time interval in all matches shall
not exceed fifteen minutes. Any match which is not of ninety minutes duration may be
ordered to stand as a completed match or replayed for the full period of ninety minutes or
be awarded to the Club not at fault, as the Board may decide, on such terms as the Board
shall decide.

8.3.2 In the event that a match is abandoned before half time the Club playing at home will issue
a voucher to spectators valid for free admission if the match is ordered to be replayed. In the
event that the match is abandoned during or after the half time interval the Club playing at
home is not obliged to issue such a voucher.
8.3.3 In the event that a match is abandoned for reasons over which neither Club has control the
Club playing at home shall retain the gate receipts for such uncompleted match and the
Board shall determine the terms upon which any replayed match shall be played.
8.3.4 In the event of a match being abandoned due to the conduct of one Club or its members or
supporters the Board has the power to order that the match is not replayed and to award
either one or three points to the Club not at fault. It cannot levy a financial penalty due to
the conduct of a Club.
8.3.5 In the event of the match being abandoned due to the conduct of both Clubs or their
members or supporters no financial penalty can be applied by the Board to either Club and
the Board shall determine whether the original match stands as a completed match or is
replayed and, if replayed, the terms upon which the match is to be replayed.

8.4 In the event of the match being postponed, not completed or abandoned, the home Club
must immediately telephone or facsimile the Competition results service, the Competition
Secretary and, in the case of a match postponement, the Appointing Authority, the
visiting Club and the Match Officials. When a postponement occurs in any FA or County
Cup competition, the home Club, if two Clubs are playing the tie, or the Club if the match
involves a team outside of the Competition, must also follow this procedure.

----------

The bold bit being most relevant, I think.

To me, it essentially says, we'll decide on a case by case basis. Though there is the other bit about letting the result stand if neither team are harmed by it, which probably plays a part in the decision.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
If all abandoned games are replayed, I suppose if one team is losing a vital match 2-0 after 87 mins, their supporters might try to invade the pitch to get the game abandoned and replayed. However, it a football authority can declare that the score stands, it would reduce the incentive.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Acker - that says abandoned due to the misconduct of a team?

Sky said 80 tonight - i always thought it was 70. It's def happened before loads of times where a games been abandoned but the score's counted for sure.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Didnt the supporters invade the pitch at a Fulham match to try to get it abandoned when they were losing but the score stood. Didnt it also happen in a cup tie at Arsenal in recent years over an injured player or am I getting mixed up.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Acker - that says abandoned due to the misconduct of a team?

I copied all the bits of rule 8 that were relevant to abandoned matches. There are sections that apply to abandoned matches that are cause by one or both teams, and factors about abandoned matches where neither are at fault (such as weather conditions, I presume).

The bit about doing no injustice to either team was when one or the other club is involved, yes. I only read all this for the first time while copying it, so am not overly familiar with the ins and outs.

I'm not saying 80mins is wrong, I just haven't been able to find that anywhere, yet. Sky may have said so, but to be honest, I'm quite cynical about sky's knowledge of the laws of the game, especially their pundits.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Agreed but I just assumed Sky knew. I thought it was 70 odd mins - like BG seems to think.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Brilliant, just luck the old days.

Shut it Sven, this is hardly bad PR for this country - quite the opposite.

Our train service shuts down after a couple of flakes, but at least we can put on a football match, well one at least.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here