Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ipswich Fans Brighton Memory Lane.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
My three favourite Ipswich memories are:
a) Going to Portman Road and seeing Gary Stevens score a goal with a rasping pile driver from what I want to say was about 25 yards (but it might have been closer).
b) Seeing Ipswich come to the Goldstone in a midweek League Cup game (I think) and watch Kevin Beattie produce a master class of overlapping attacking football (for a defender), and thinking Wow this bloke is brilliant!
c) Watching Ipswich beat Arsenal at Wembley to win the FA Cup. (I got a ticket via Bognor Regis Town in the days when the FA member clubs used to get more tickets for their volunteers).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That is my favourite Brighton / Ipswich memory. It doesn't show the surge in the North Stand after Wilkins goal that 'forced' many of us on to the pitch (up to the half way line in some cases :blush: ).

There is a longer video of a lot of that game somewhere on youtube, or at least there was. The standard is dreadful. A totally different game to the beautiful football I'm expecting tomorrow between McKenna and Hurzeler.

I was in there. Interesting how almost everyone stayed to the end.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
My three favourite Ipswich memories are:
a) Going to Portman Road and seeing Gary Stevens score a goal with a rasping pile driver from what I want to say was about 25 yards (but it might have been closer).
b) Seeing Ipswich come to the Goldstone in a midweek League Cup game (I think) and watch Kevin Beattie produce a master class of overlapping attacking football (for a defender), and thinking Wow this bloke is brilliant!
c) Watching Ipswich beat Arsenal at Wembley to win the FA Cup. (I got a ticket via Bognor Regis Town in the days when the FA member clubs used to get more tickets for their volunteers).
d) Seeing them escape from the Nazi’s after giving them a great game, drawing 4-4 despite some dreadful refereeing.

:wink:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
That is my favourite Brighton / Ipswich memory. It doesn't show the surge in the North Stand after Wilkins goal that 'forced' many of us on to the pitch (up to the half way line in some cases :blush: ).

There is a longer video of a lot of that game somewhere on youtube, or at least there was. The standard is dreadful. A totally different game to the beautiful football I'm expecting tomorrow between McKenna and Hurzeler.
I ended up on the half way line, dancing like a maniac. That Bovril didn't taste right.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
I'm 5 years older than you and I remember the shit potless time only too well. We were a middle div 3 side when I first went to the Goldstone in 69. Playing in front of quite decent crowds of 12,000 to 14,000. Alex Dawson, Willy Irvine.....but we had no money.

After a decent manager left us for Birmingham poor Pat Saward had to launch a public appeal for transfer funds. It was all very tin pot and shite.

No wonder that in 1970 when I was in year 2 at HGSB, all the boys rocked up in September with new school bags that were club branded - Chelsea, Leeds, Arsenal, Liverpool.....and these were lads that would watch the Albion. We NEVER discussed the Albion at school. Not then.

It was as if were were not a 'proper' club. Absolutely no chance of competing with the big boys. The idea was absurd.

And last season I went to Amsterdam to see us beat Ajax in the equivalent of the EUFA cup. The one that Leeds, Newcastle and Liverpool played in when I was a boy.

Something in my eye.
I`m about 3-4 years younger than you but totally remember the feeling you described , 6 and a half days a week everyone followed a big team ( in our group there were 2 Leeds 2 Chelsea and 1 Liverpool ) but for a few hours on Saturday we would turn up at The Goldstone , pay our money and sing our lungs out ....Crazy . But we were all supporters not followers , so maybe not so bad .

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Oh I remember that. I was in the North Stand and I ran on the pitch when Wilkins scored. I'd never done it before, I'd saved my pitch invasions till the end, but I just got carried away. When I got past the penalty area I remember thinking "What am I doing? I'm 34 years old and I'm running on the pitch like one of those 'Parka Kids' at Hereford!" I headed back!

Vies with beating Ipswich in the League Cup in 1976 or me as 'Best Ipswich Moment'.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
My favourite 3 Ipswich memories are: '86? Away. Only one 2 away all season and I missed the other. 1 down, then equalised immediately. Straight from the kick off they took the lead again and sang 'Same old Ipswich taking the piss!' Great scenes when we followed an equaliser with a winner at the death. Guess what we sang?
Away the season before we got promoted, Zamora's return as a sub. I had had far too much magic tobacco and we were sat high up in a steep top tier. I was desperate for an hour to catch my breath, but it was peak Lualua and we were 2 up within 10 minutes. We won 3,2.
The other was at home in '91 when Wilkins scored an awesome free kick. Because of pitch invasions etc, it felt like the season had finished hours before. It was virtually the last kick of the the full season and shot us into the play offs - bloomin' marvelous.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
I remember being at Portman Road to celebrate our relegation and had a bleedin' gorilla jumping up and down in front of me the whole match so missed most of the action!! Are you that gorilla??
I think he is probably busy preparing for his daughter's big day but I'm fairly sure @Lenny Rider will be able to confirm the identity of the gorilla as they would have gone up on the same coach where, if I remember correctly, Lenny was dressed as Elvis.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I think he is probably busy preparing for his daughter's big day but I'm fairly sure @Lenny Rider will be able to confirm the identity of the gorilla as they would have gone up on the same coach where, if I remember correctly, Lenny was dressed as Elvis.
I can picture the geezer, but must be age kicking in, can’t remember his name. 🙈

The flushes of youth, if you recall Donkey old boy I was detained outside the pub, they actually gave it you have the right to remain silent but anything you say can be used in court etc etc, and several Diamond Whites in I replied “You can’t arrest me, I’m the King of Rock,n,Roll.“ 😂

Thankfully it all got sorted out 👍

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I can picture the geezer, but must be age kicking in, can’t remember his name. 🙈

The flushes of youth, if you recall Donkey old boy I was detained outside the pub, they actually gave it you have the right to remain silent but anything you say can be used in court etc etc, and several Diamond Whites in I replied “You can’t arrest me, I’m the King of Rock,n,Roll.“ 😂

Thankfully it all got sorted out 👍
You were Elvis that day (?) or was booze playing tricks with the old peepers?

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Anyone remember a 3-2 win at Ipswich with a late winner? I think it was either Larry May or Kevin Bremner. Remember going mental on the away terrace under the low roof.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
My Dad took me to my 1st ever football match which was Ipswich 0 Nottingham Forest 1 in 1979. We went to Brighton v Liverpool a couple of months later and that was me hooked. Family move Essex to Kent saved me!

Went to the the away game at Portman Road when we got relegated and they went up, depressing!

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I'm 5 years older than you and I remember the shit potless time only too well. We were a middle div 3 side when I first went to the Goldstone in 69. Playing in front of quite decent crowds of 12,000 to 14,000. Alex Dawson, Willy Irvine.....but we had no money.

After a decent manager left us for Birmingham poor Pat Saward had to launch a public appeal for transfer funds. It was all very tin pot and shite.

No wonder that in 1970 when I was in year 2 at HGSB, all the boys rocked up in September with new school bags that were club branded - Chelsea, Leeds, Arsenal, Liverpool.....and these were lads that would watch the Albion. We NEVER discussed the Albion at school. Not then.

It was as if were were not a 'proper' club. Absolutely no chance of competing with the big boys. The idea was absurd.

And last season I went to Amsterdam to see us beat Ajax in the equivalent of the EUFA cup. The one that Leeds, Newcastle and Liverpool played in when I was a boy.

Something in my eye.
The club bought Bert Murray with the fans' donations.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here