Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ipswich Fans Brighton Memory Lane.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Most of my 80's memories are shrouded by excessive lager, but I do remember being at Portman Rd and seeing Dalian Atkinson playing for them. I felt it was cheating to have someone that f***ing rapid, he was just so much quicker than anyone else on the pitch.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
My [...] favourite Ipswich memories are:
a) Going to Portman Road and seeing Gary Stevens score a goal with a rasping pile driver from what I want to say was about 25 yards (but it might have been closer).
I was at that game with my Dad and brothers - my first Albion away game. Great result against a very strong Ipswich side. A much more successful trip than the follow-up one 2 weeks later to Southampton...

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
The away game in the early 90s when we got relegated - the home crowd invaded the pitch and were massed in front of us, then one guy near me hopped the fence and piled in to them. A mass of flailing limbs followed and he emerged seconds later from the melee with a big grin on his face as the coppers led him away.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The away game in the early 90s when we got relegated - the home crowd invaded the pitch and were massed in front of us, then one guy near me hopped the fence and piled in to them. A mass of flailing limbs followed and he emerged seconds later from the melee with a big grin on his face as the coppers led him away.
Have to say I was there and saw none of that.

There was a lot of us and I think Albion went 1-0 up to give us deluded hope of survival. There was reports of terrible trouble in the town, although it often amounts to nothing more than a feline stand off. Not much has changed.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Most of my 80's memories are shrouded by excessive lager, but I do remember being at Portman Rd and seeing Dalian Atkinson playing for them. I felt it was cheating to have someone that f***ing rapid, he was just so much quicker than anyone else on the pitch.
But I seem to recall that was the game we eventually won 3-2 with the winner coming very late on.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I'm 5 years older than you and I remember the shit potless time only too well. We were a middle div 3 side when I first went to the Goldstone in 69. Playing in front of quite decent crowds of 12,000 to 14,000. Alex Dawson, Willy Irvine.....but we had no money.

After a decent manager left us for Birmingham poor Pat Saward had to launch a public appeal for transfer funds. It was all very tin pot and shite.

No wonder that in 1970 when I was in year 2 at HGSB, all the boys rocked up in September with new school bags that were club branded - Chelsea, Leeds, Arsenal, Liverpool.....and these were lads that would watch the Albion. We NEVER discussed the Albion at school. Not then.

It was as if were were not a 'proper' club. Absolutely no chance of competing with the big boys. The idea was absurd.

And last season I went to Amsterdam to see us beat Ajax in the equivalent of the EUFA cup. The one that Leeds, Newcastle and Liverpool played in when I was a boy.

Something in my eye.
Nobody at HGSB went to watch Brighton in the early/mid 1970s or mentioned them, except one person who was mercilessly mocked for watching shit.

Everyone supported then Division 1 clubs. You couldn't support Chelsea after they were relegated to Division 2 (I know because I did).

Brighton only became popular when they were getting close to promotion to Division 1.

Fair weather friends.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240914_132422_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240914_132422_Chrome.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 11

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Nobody at HGSB went to watch Brighton in the early/mid 1970s or mentioned them, except one person who was mercilessly mocked for watching shit.

Everyone supported then Division 1 clubs. You couldn't support Chelsea after they were relegated to Division 2 (I know because I did).

Brighton only became popular when they were getting close to promotion to Division 1.

Fair weather friends.
Yeah. Well, we went. I was a regular. But, yeah. I didn't really 'let go' of Leeds till around 1976.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here