Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ipswich,arrest

Is anyone else slightly concerned that if it were this person then all this could be giving grounds for a fair trial not being possible. I do worry that if it is him he could get off on the grounds that all the publicity makes an unbiased jury very hard to find.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
readingstockport said:
Is anyone else slightly concerned that if it were this person then all this could be giving grounds for a fair trial not being possible. I do worry that if it is him he could get off on the grounds that all the publicity makes an unbiased jury very hard to find.

surely going to be dna evidence tho

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Guess there's no point in adding him as a friend as he probably won't be allowed near a computer for many years if it was him! :eek:

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
They often hold very high-profile trials away from the area in which the crimes were committed. Ian Huntley was tried in London, the Bulger killers tried in Preston etc etc. It's easier than you think to find twelve jurors who don't spend all day speculating about crimes on the internet!

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
readingstockport said:

Yep, that had crossed my mind, but it seems the officer in charge of the investigation was happy for it to happen.

Last edited:

jonny.rainbow said:
Yep, that had crossed my mind, but it seems the officer in charge of the investigation was happy for it to happen.

Ok, so I'm not the only one. And from what I'd heard he's been pretty careful, and his admission that he has already been with the girls could make dna evidence difficult. Add in the fact that 2 were found in a stream, which apparently make dna gathering more difficult.

Just hope that if is him he gets sent down.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
readingstockport said:
I don't think so, not any more than any other case. The media silence has already descended now someone has been arrested and as the legal process kicks in. The onus now falls on the police to both have gathered enough real evidence and not to screw up the case by using dodgy evidence, like they did with Rachel Nickell.

There are pretty strict rules in place about what can and can't be reported when in criminal cases. Unfortunately, I've forgotten them all since my journalism training many moons ago.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
It's interesting to note though that the police stressed that they didn't believe the killer had had sex with the girls and this guy is claiming to have done.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Springal said:
very chilling, awful dress sense and looks like a complete weirdo

Oh well, he must have done it then!

That same description could be used to describe half the people on NSC.

People really should avoid assuming that he's guilty just because he's been arrested, there's a long way to go yet,

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
readingstockport said:
Sniping on the other thread aside :p , that is somthing I agree with. if there is no DNA evidence then you can never be 100% cirtain. Everone has the right to a fair trial and once the media get involved it becomes difficult for a jury member not to have any pre-conceptions of what a defendant is like. He has already been in the national press so moving the trail to a different area won't make any difference.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
looks normal

857296752_l.jpg

:lolol:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Dick Knights Mumm said:
he looks a wierdo - and that's good enough for me.

String 'im up.
Urrrr. I'm with 'ee!

*Lights blazing torch and gets pitchfork*

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
Let's just hope they haven't arrested him for the sake of fending off public criticism, due to their lack of progress in a high profile case.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
BBC News 24 are playing recorded interviews they did with Tom Stephens for 'background purposes' where he is talking about how he befriended the girls.

:ohmy:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here