Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ipods

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
I want an Ipod.

Any advice as to which type to get? I want to get a small one, ideal for listening to while jogging, not too expensive, and as many songs possible.

Anyone recommend a good one? Is it best to get an Ipod, or just another type of MP3 player?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Don't get an iPod.

The size/as many songs as possible/price balance is bloody hard to do. Not that Apple have managed it, anyway, but...

Best storage to price ratio would be the Creative Zen, but they're quite large. Sony have some tiny ones with huge storage but they're extrenely expensive. Apple are just expensive across the board for storage size, from their tiny one to the large colour-screened ones.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
iPod shuffle are cheap and good for joging don't hold many songs tho

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Ultimately, it's about personal choice and what is good for you.

MYOB is a Major-League techie who (deliberately or otherwise) manages to hijack all these type of threads with his sometimes overly-technical commentary.

I'm NOT a techie, I just know what I like.

I've got an ipod mini which has got around 500 songs on it and I love it. I find it very easy to use, itunes is really easy to use and you can swap music around after downloading.

You can arrange your favourite songs into a playlist
VERY easily - ideal for jogging.

So there!!

:clap2:

And they cost around £130

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Hiney said:
MYOB is a Major-League techie who (deliberately or otherwise) manages to hijack all these type of threads with his sometimes overly-technical commentary.

…and total bias against all things Apple.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I bought my missus a 1Gb mp3 player off ebay for 50 quid that fits about 200 odd songs and has an lcd screen and everything not just the shuffle of the ipod shuffle and it does all she watns and is small enough to fit in he rpocket.

I have an ipod mini and its perfect for my needs and I would definitely recommend it.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
bhafc99 said:
…and total bias against all things Apple.

...while I'm typing on a 2004 vintage G4 laptop...

I have a bias against a company that sells below-par hardware (G4, their monitors) or downright faulty hardware (G5 iMac, G3 iMac, early G4 Powerbooks, iPod) at a ridicolous premium because of one single designer they have that happens to be able to design things that look good for a while then date terrible (like the first two models of iMac)

Their engineering is poor, their software is worse - the only decent part of OS X, for instance, is the bit they stole (literally) off FreeBSD. They have far more hardware recalls than any x86 PC vendor, and have as many security patches as Windows ever year, and yet the company, and their user base, has the most condescending attitude about their kit.

That and their laptop screens suck bollox.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
MYOB said:
...while I'm typing on a 2004 vintage G4 laptop...

I have a bias against a company that sells below-par hardware (G4, their monitors) or downright faulty hardware (G5 iMac, G3 iMac, early G4 Powerbooks, iPod) at a ridicolous premium because of one single designer they have that happens to be able to design things that look good for a while then date terrible (like the first two models of iMac)

Their engineering is poor, their software is worse - the only decent part of OS X, for instance, is the bit they stole (literally) off FreeBSD. They have far more hardware recalls than any x86 PC vendor, and have as many security patches as Windows ever year, and yet the company, and their user base, has the most condescending attitude about their kit.

That and their laptop screens suck bollox.

This is a spoof, right?

Surely no-one accused of being an anti-Apple and overly-techie ranter would defend themselves with, err, an anti-Apple overly-techie rant?

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Well fancy that. It took MYOB just 3 minutes to jump in and slate the iPod, AGAIN.

Do you just search for tech related posts all day then dive in berating anything that you don't own? It's a bit boring now isn't it?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
DÃnN¥ §ëÃGuLL© said:
Do what I did, install a CD player in yer car and never jog anywhere :clap2:

my 'sound system' is my minidisc connected through the tape deck.

cruising around in the astra(no hub caps) with tunes such as aztec camaras 'somewhere in my heart' and the baywatch theme tune blasting out through the gangster packed streets of saltdean:lolol:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit said:
my 'sound system' is my minidisc connected through the tape deck.

cruising around in the astra(no hub caps) with tunes such as aztec camaras 'somewhere in my heart' and the baywatch theme tune blasting out through the gangster packed streets of saltdean:lolol:

Ask Rich about us tearing through the streets of Saltdean in mine playing He-Man and Inspector Gadget at full blast

:lol:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I've got a set of bongos. Ten quid from a second hand shop and unlimited tune capacity - provided you don't mind them all sounding exactly the same.

Possibly a bit impractical for jogging though - ever thought of a stylophone?

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
For jogging purposes only i would have to recommend the ipod shuffle, though it is worth paying for the most expensive shuffle as there is almost double the memory on that particular model for only £10 more. However i think that if you are prepared to pay that little bit extra the ipod mini is a superb option imho.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here