Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

IPODs- Worth the Money?

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
Techy question - can I record to an iPOD from a CD thru my amp (like a minidisc) or does it have to be on a PC?

I havent got a Mac and my housemates PC can be a little ropey, so I was considering getting a minidisc player...

Also - Rowdey - can you PM me that guys details? Cheers

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
I swear by minidisc (still) 66 tracks per disc in the car. sweet.

I'm not sure the iPOD can record as such, so I think you'd have to work the signal through the pc. Wozza would know ;)

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Bozza said:
I've heard that bass reproduction can be poor on some styles of music, even if your MP3 was ripped at higher than 128.

Superphil - have you downloaded the fix so that you can up the volume beyond Apple's 'safe' limit that the iPod comes with?

No I haven't, where can I get it from?

Faldo, No you can't, it has to be from a PC or MAC. It used to be MP3 files on the PC and AAC files on the MAC (AAC are suposedly better quality and take up less space) but now you can do the AAC files on the PC using iTunes.

With regards to the extras I have a radio transmitter that lets me tramsit the output to a receiver, i.e. the car radio, or if I'm round someones house onto their radio.

Also there is a docking unit which provides a line out to an Amplifier, get a gud quality lead and it sounds pretty good.

Worthe getting a firewire card.port for your PC though, makes the transfer time pretty rapid, takes about 10 seconded to dump and entire album down to it.

All in all it is the sexiest peice of kit I've ever bought, makes me want to buy an Apple computer next.

Buy one, you know it makes sense, you won't be dissapointed.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Barnet Seagull said:
I swear by minidisc (still) 66 tracks per disc in the car.

Yeah, and my dad still swears by 8-track.

File with DCC, CD-i, Laserdisc, VideoCD etc.

I'm not sure the iPOD can record as such, so I think you'd have to work the signal through the pc. Wozza would know ;)

iPod can't - several other MP3 players can. Not that you'd want to record music via an analogue source anyway. Useful feature for journos though.

Rambo

Don't Push me
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
Does anyone know if it can be plugged into the car stereo??
I have an standard 6 disc CD in my Audi A4 but no sockets, it does have cassette though, is there a converter or something?
That would definatley persuade me to buy one if I could use it in the car.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
iPods are the dog's bollocks of music players. Yes they are a bit pricey, but you will not find a better working, cooler gadget anywhere.

Last edited:

Rambo

Don't Push me
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
So wheres the cheapest place apart from ebay?
I have noticed that the US Apple site is at least £60 cheaper than over here, is it worth ordering from the US?
Where did everbody get theirs, where the best deal in otherwords.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
I could only find it at the prces quoted on the Apple site. I tried to order from the states, they made me go onto the UK site, wouldn't deal direct form the states.

Either way, once you have it you will immedeatly forget what it cost you, you just won't care any more, it's that good.

Ooer, I hope no-one starts calling me a geek, accusing me of singing bad songs, wearing my Username on my shirt!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk

Great cheap UK site for all MP3 type walkmans, car stereos (yes MP3 stereos) etc, worth a look with fantastic customer service to boot!

is where I got my X-Clef HD500 20gig from at only £229

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Wozza said:
Yeah, and my dad still swears by 8-track.

File with DCC, CD-i, Laserdisc, VideoCD etc.

I mainly use mine for recording mixes, so far, there's nothing better.

I'm waiting for the next portable digital media which can handle a 2 hour mix.

Agreed, it won't last long, but what does these days.

(I still have an 8-track)

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk

Great cheap UK site for all MP3 type walkmans, car stereos (yes MP3 stereos) etc, worth a look with fantastic customer service to boot!

Interesting website, seems to be a little "anti Ipod" in that the reviews for the kit they mention generally say something along the line of "better than an iPod at..."

It's fair to say that there are a number of MP3 jukeboxes out there, depends what you want, I just want loads of music on the road, Ipod does that. Some talk about line in, recording etc, well there is an attachment you can get for iPOD that allows you to use it as a voice recorder. Other than that you takes your choice...

Once you have one of these things though, iPod, Zen, HP or whaever, you'll be hooked and you'll listen to a lot more music.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Rambo said:
Does anyone know if it can be plugged into the car stereo??
I have an standard 6 disc CD in my Audi A4 but no sockets, it does have cassette though, is there a converter or something?
That would definatley persuade me to buy one if I could use it in the car.

Your best bet would be to get the iTrip. They are widely available for the 1st and 2nd generation of iPods. They have only just become available for the 3rd generation though and are a bit thin on the ground right now.

The iTrip is a small radio transmitter which plugs into your iTrip. So wherever you have a radio (in the car, in the home etc.) you can play your iPod Just find an FM frequency that has no radio stations on it and then select the same frequency on your iPod - it will then transmit to this frequency over a very short distance. No hassle, no leads.

Rambo

Don't Push me
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
Bozza said:
Your best bet would be to get the iTrip. They are widely available for the 1st and 2nd generation of iPods. They have only just become available for the 3rd generation though and are a bit thin on the ground right now.

The iTrip is a small radio transmitter which plugs into your iTrip. So wherever you have a radio (in the car, in the home etc.) you can play your iPod Just find an FM frequency that has no radio stations on it and then select the same frequency on your iPod - it will then transmit to this frequency over a very short distance. No hassle, no leads.

But is the sound quality still good?
Or does it pick up interference from the engine of the car?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
From my experience the sound quality was excellent - just like the iPod itself. Im sure audiophiles will go on about losing quality, but I don't think you'd be able to detect it with your ear.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here