Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ipods - sorry to ask....

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Rather than using a tape adapter you're better off with an itrip which broadcasts the signal through an fm frequency of your choosing. You find a clear frequency tune it into that and it all works swimmingly and the quality is excellent in my car.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Wozza said:
Bet your mum buys you sensible trousers too - like Farrah's.

My mum hasn't bought my clothes in, err, years? A decade maybe?

Recently, due to the fact that I'm as stylistically inept as any other straight guy, my girlfirends been choosing my clothes :nono:

Last edited:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
tinx said:
Rather than using a tape adapter you're better off with an itrip which broadcasts the signal through an fm frequency of your choosing. You find a clear frequency tune it into that and it all works swimmingly and the quality is excellent in my car.

Slight problem is that without a low power FM licence, you're breaking the law. And you've got an FM transmitter in your car, which is somewhat like sticking your head in a powered on microware.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
N.B. You can use Realplayer with your iPod if you don't fancy using itunes

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
MYOB said:
Slight problem is that without a low power FM licence, you're breaking the law. And you've got an FM transmitter in your car, which is somewhat like sticking your head in a powered on microware.

So you're saying that something that is perfectly legal in the US and is marketed all over the world except for the UK is as dangerous to your health as putting your head in a microwave, one word, Bollox. Its no more dangerous to your health than crossing the road.

Granted its not strictly legal but how exactly are you going to get caught?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Bluejuice said:
N.B. You can use Realplayer with your iPod if you don't fancy using itunes

Not if you update the firmware you can't. Apple locked it out

If you plug an iPod into a Mac that has an updated iPod Firmware file, it'll install automatically anyway, so bye bye RealPlayer then.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
tinx said:
So you're saying that something that is perfectly legal in the US and is marketed all over the world except for the UK is as dangerous to your health as putting your head in a microwave, one word, Bollox. Its no more dangerous to your health than crossing the road.

Granted its not strictly legal but how exactly are you going to get caught?

Cigarettes are legal and marketed. They damage your health...

If you happen to chose a frequency that someone else is licenced on, and they get interference, they'll call ofcom. And if you continue driving around with it, they will come and scan. Same as how the catch pirate radio, except you'd be a moving target.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
MYOB said:
Cigarettes are legal and marketed. They damage your health...

If you happen to chose a frequency that someone else is licenced on, and they get interference, they'll call ofcom. And if you continue driving around with it, they will come and scan. Same as how the catch pirate radio, except you'd be a moving target.

And seeing as the range of the iTrip is approximately 5 feet, the chances of someone realising that there is interference is pretty minute.

Put it this way, I've had mine for a year now and Radio 2 haven't complained yet.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Welll I've got an oddball non name MP3 player which has 512mg of storage.

It's not flash but I paid £40 (including postage) new from a place in Hong Kong via eBay.

Suits me as it's tiny.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
MYOB, why are you so determined to see Apple fail?

Did they do something to upset you personally?

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
If anyone is ever arrested for using an itrip I will spend a day in Croydon.

I have an itrip equivalent in my car and more often than not I can't use it for interference from local pirate stations

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
They destroyed a number of PowerPC system vendors by renaging on contracts, their average user defines cluless newbie AOL'er, they make overpriced, under powered hardware designed to appeal to wankers, and astronomically priced powerful hardware designed to appeal to rich wankers. They used closed hardware, or use open formats (AGP, PCI, USB, WiFi) to benifit their users but change it ever so slightly to stop Linux working on their machines - such as the little change in the UniNorth 2 AGP controller on the G5.

They abandon their old hardware very, very young - my late 1997 Mac was dropped from OS support in mid 1999. They abandon their old OS revisions almost instantly - try finding Apple made software for OSX 10.0, or 10.1.

I could go on...

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
As sam says hwo exactly will they track you when as soon as I get my itrip out of the car it barely picks it up.

So if its such a big deal about breaking the law, are you telling me that all of the software and everything running on your PC at home is legal version, if so I would imagine you are th eonly person who is in this situation.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
tinx said:
As sam says hwo exactly will they track you when as soon as I get my itrip out of the car it barely picks it up.

So if its such a big deal about breaking the law, are you telling me that all of the software and everything running on your PC at home is legal version, if so I would imagine you are th eonly person who is in this situation.

Lemme check. Yes.

Main PC at home is running BeOS 5 Professional (bought it) with Mozilla (free), Gobe Productive (bought it), Beam emailer (free), and so on

Machine at work is running Debian Linux (free), and all the software on it is free also.

My one Windows box is running corporate versions of XP and Office XP on a work-at-home licencing scheme, and the rest of its software is games I've bought, or opensource apps (OpenOffice, Mozilla, Thunderbird, VLC, The GIMP, GAIM, etc)

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
MYOB said:
They destroyed a number of PowerPC system vendors by renaging on contracts, their average user defines cluless newbie AOL'er, they make overpriced, under powered hardware designed to appeal to wankers, and astronomically priced powerful hardware designed to appeal to rich wankers. They used closed hardware, or use open formats (AGP, PCI, USB, WiFi) to benifit their users but change it ever so slightly to stop Linux working on their machines - such as the little change in the UniNorth 2 AGP controller on the G5.

They abandon their old hardware very, very young - my late 1997 Mac was dropped from OS support in mid 1999. They abandon their old OS revisions almost instantly - try finding Apple made software for OSX 10.0, or 10.1.

I could go on...
Maybe we could save this, and make the discussion board automatically print it whenever anyone mentions the word Apple. It would save MYOB a lot of typing... though of course, maybe he's got a routine that automatically does this already.

However, as I am exactly that which MYOB detests (I own an Apple, and an iPod) I won't say any more! :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here