Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

iPhone 5

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Thanks - that's a decent tip - I'm locked into my contract till April next year but can change in January because I've been with O2 for years but i may wait, see the contract out, then just buy the iPhone 5 and a cheap contract with someone as you suggest. Is GiffGaff about the best ? (I see it's owned by O2)

I've had no issues with it at all - decent O2 coverage and I often stream a lot of stuff over 3G - radio during the day at work, Netflix other times and it's always been fast with no indication that my bandwidth is being throttled. For a tenner a month it seems a no-brainer.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
I've had no issues with it at all - decent O2 coverage and I often stream a lot of stuff over 3G - radio during the day at work, Netflix other times and it's always been fast with no indication that my bandwidth is being throttled. For a tenner a month it seems a no-brainer.

Can you use tethering with the giffgaff data?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Beach Hut; said:
I have heard a rumour it is a different connector plug ?

If so very unlike Apple

It will be smaller as the earphone socket is moving from top to bottom, whether the fact that my upright socket collects allsorts that has needed to be dug out a few times I'd the issue I can only guess

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
how ya get a contract and phone on gilligaf

You don't, they're sim only payg deals, get someone like me to recommend you and you get £5 free credit and I do at the same time, just get your current phone unlocked if its not on o2 and you're away, I switched from a 3 contract in June that was costing me nearly £40 a month all in,

Since I've switched to giffgaff I've spent £40 in 3 months, that's my first top up of £10 credit which I'm still using and the £10 goody bag each month which provides all the internet...

On giffgaff you get free calls, unlimited texts and unlimited internet.

It's a no brainer mate.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
What baffles me is how people can afford to dish out £600 for a phone

The reality is, most people don't realise they are.

The mobile phone market is an interesting one - handsets are advertised on the basis that you pay a monthly fee for your respective call, text and data allowance and get your handset either 'free' or heavily subsidised. In effect, this is mostly just high interest credit on the handset.

What's great about this (from the network and retailer's perspective) is that most people don't take up their 'free' upgrade right at the time of contract expiry, particularly in cases like this when people are waiting indefinately for the next latest and greatest handset. Ultimately, you end up continuing to re-pay a loan than has already been repaid.

I myself, like many, am guilty of falling into this trap - it's amazing what semantics can do to people's tolerance of bad financial dealings.

You're far better off in the long-run simply buying the handset outright and getting a low cost, sim-only contract seperately. But then people start to look into it and think, "f***ing hell, £600 for a phone, I'm not paying that!".

Like I say, semantics.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
You don't, they're sim only payg deals, get someone like me to recommend you and you get £5 free credit and I do at the same time, just get your current phone unlocked if its not on o2 and you're away, I switched from a 3 contract in June that was costing me nearly £40 a month all in,

Since I've switched to giffgaff I've spent £40 in 3 months, that's my first top up of £10 credit which I'm still using and the £10 goody bag each month which provides all the internet...

On giffgaff you get free calls, unlimited texts and unlimited internet.

It's a no brainer mate.

But i cant afford an iphone outright in one cost, i know i pay more spreading it over the months but its the onlyway i get to have a decent phone.

That said Giffgaff looks to good to be true

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The reality is, most people don't realise they are.

erm, most people aren't. you're also paying for a service, the phone connection. let take the extreme of giff-gaff and compare to a sensible tariff with 1.5GB there's a £10 difference, so you're paying £240 for the phone. most phone contract offers are pretty much the same as phone + service seperatly. who'd have thunk.

Evil Edna

Roll the dice!
Jul 15, 2007
Where poet's live.
Buy off E scam What £200? (talking about a half decent smartphone here. Not the Iscam5) then go with giffgaff cheap option. Sorted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ur_havin_a_Laugh

⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽&
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
iPad mini out in October too

drop dead fred

Mar 8, 2011
I think you use the gigabag not the goodybag

The iPad is wifi only so you have to tether it from the handset
Only interested to know if tethering was allowed on the basic package
And just read giffgaff don't support tethering from iPhones anyway

Last edited: