Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

iPhone 5

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This. Just been discussing this with my mate, it's baffling how people can just go "i'm having one of those on the day of release", what about existing contracts?

Not knocking anyone, but my previous experiences have taught me to wait, so they can iron out any teething issues.

New iPhones will have been rattling off the production lines for some time now, ready to be the fastest selling electronic device in history on launch.

Teething problems, should there be any, will be resolved in software. Waiting for stuff to be ironed out is not relevant here.

An iPhone 4s on launch was £499. 12 months GiffGaff with unlimited texts and data is £120. You can sell the phone now for c£300. If you can afford the initial outlay, why would you pay £35 per month, or more, and be locked in for 24 months?

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Have Apple not taken them to court over that model yet?

You're aware that Google (in the guise of Motorola, who they acquired) are attempting to stop Apple selling any phones, tablets or computers?

That's a bit different from seeking compensation for patents infringed.

You might want to do some research on the patent wars before spouting off in an uninformed manner.

I'll be "slumming it" with my iPhone 4S until at least next May.

On the subject of contracts, my iPhone is provided by work, they are now on an O2 business lease deal. Brand new iPhone every 12 months (old one returned to O2) and the cost includes calls, data, texts and insurance. I think it costs the company about £35-40 a month IIRC but there is no outlay for the handset, and with a new handset every 12 months and insurance provided it seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Buying the phone outright and getting a SIM only contract is the cheapest way of owning a phone if you can spare the cash at the outset.

You also gave absolute freedom to change when you want and needn't be stuck with a phone 18 months into a 24 month contract when you really want to change.

Having become a Mac convert this year, and as yet not looked back. I have slowly come to this assesment myself and have duly gone down to a SIM only package. Rumours are though that due to 5 being a different shape the SIM will be a smaller design, I imagine most companies will have these ready to go.

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
My iPhone4 home button is proper dodgy at the moment - just hope it lasts until the end of September when my hubby upgrades his to the Iphone5 and I can have his iPhone 4 til my upgrade is due!!!

Tux the albion Penguin

Resident Linux User
Sep 2, 2011
STADIO DE LA AMEX
You're aware that Google (in the guise of Motorola, who they acquired) are attempting to stop Apple selling any phones, tablets or computers?

That's a bit different from seeking compensation for patents infringed.

You might want to do some research on the patent wars before spouting off in an uninformed manner.

That wasn't my point. I'm just saying that Apple seem to sue Samsung no matter the design or style of the software. Hardware and software companies won't be able to come up with anything without someone whinging. Everything has been done before whether It be be phone or bread.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
New iPhones will have been rattling off the production lines for some time now, ready to be the fastest selling electronic device in history on launch.

Teething problems, should there be any, will be resolved in software. Waiting for stuff to be ironed out is not relevant here.

An iPhone 4s on launch was £499. 12 months GiffGaff with unlimited texts and data is £120. You can sell the phone now for c£300. If you can afford the initial outlay, why would you pay £35 per month, or more, and be locked in for 24 months?

Thanks - that's a decent tip - I'm locked into my contract till April next year but can change in January because I've been with O2 for years but i may wait, see the contract out, then just buy the iPhone 5 and a cheap contract with someone as you suggest. Is GiffGaff about the best ? (I see it's owned by O2)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Have Apple not taken them to court over that model yet?

the court shenanigans are complex, and i havent followed the detail. it seems to me Apple vs Samsung covered the first Tab and the Galaxy S and SII. the S3 and certainly the Note and newer stuff wasnt covered. doesnt seem likly they would go after those models as they arent vry similar, compared to the early Galaxy models.

many interesting assumptions only applies if one must have the newest model and must have an iPhone and must roll over to a new phone every year. its interesting that S3 tariffs are £26, at which cost after 2 years of the contract the outlay is £624 v. £636 for the (now phone-less) iphone owner.

i too dont understand the need to update every year, generally for all consumer products, but in the iPhone its especially odd as the advocates make much of the ability to upgrade iOS, so most improvements are available on the old model anyway. this release is going to be very interesting to see how they advance over the S3 and the 4S, will it be enough for the non-fanboi market?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
the court shenanigans are complex, and i havent followed the detail. it seems to me Apple vs Samsung covered the first Tab and the Galaxy S and SII. the S3 and certainly the Note and newer stuff wasnt covered. doesnt seem likly they would go after those models as they arent vry similar, compared to the early Galaxy models.

many interesting assumptions only applies if one must have the newest model and must have an iPhone and must roll over to a new phone every year. its interesting that S3 tariffs are £26, at which cost after 2 years of the contract the outlay is £624 v. £636 for the (now phone-less) iphone owner.

i too dont understand the need to update every year, generally for all consumer products, but in the iPhone its especially odd as the advocates make much of the ability to upgrade iOS, so most improvements are available on the old model anyway. this release is going to be very interesting to see how they advance over the S3 and the 4S, will it be enough for the non-fanboi market?

This time the expectation is a bigger screen..so more of a leap than from 4 to 4S

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
That wasn't my point. I'm just saying that Apple seem to sue Samsung no matter the design or style of the software. Hardware and software companies won't be able to come up with anything without someone whinging. Everything has been done before whether It be be phone or bread.

Well, Windows 8 shows that there are other ways of designing an OS that doesn't look like a complete copycat version of what Apple are doing.

In the court case, I thought some of the Samsung rip-offs of Apple icons were breathtaking. For example, Apple uses a yellow sunflower as icon for their photo app. What did Samsung use for their photo app, given that they could have chosen any image in the world? Yes, a yellow sunflower. That just scratches the surface of how much Samsung ripped off Apple. They even had an internal document comparing their handsets and Apple's, where every recommendation seemed to be to make their phones look and work more like Apple's.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here