Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

iPhone 5

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I'm in a sticky situation, I've switched to giffgaff as 3 doesn't work where I've moved to, so I'm letting the contract run out and have 2 months left, now I'm going to be free from contract I've started looking at handsets.

I currently have a HTC desire HD and its working fine, never had a problem with it, it does all I need it to do and will continue to work for the forseeable future, so in reality I don't need a new phone. But I want one.

I've never had an iPhone, didn't see the point of jumping on a bandwagon so to speak, and have been happy with this android (although it is my first android) and haven't tried any others.

I've been watching this thread closely and I think I've decided to try an iphone5, I'm in no rush to get one straight away, I have to save first.

But I've been reading some stuff on the interweb today and have heard that the base model iphone5 pre orders are being taken for $199 in the US, but over here they will start at £529. I know the exchange rate isn't that great but I know over £500 is a LOT more than $199.

Why the massive price difference? Are they ripping us Brits off or am I missing something? If it is just a massive rip off then I think I can do without one to be honest.....

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I'm in a sticky situation, I've switched to giffgaff as 3 doesn't work where I've moved to, so I'm letting the contract run out and have 2 months left, now I'm going to be free from contract I've started looking at handsets.

I currently have a HTC desire HD and its working fine, never had a problem with it, it does all I need it to do and will continue to work for the forseeable future, so in reality I don't need a new phone. But I want one.

I've never had an iPhone, didn't see the point of jumping on a bandwagon so to speak, and have been happy with this android (although it is my first android) and haven't tried any others.

I've been watching this thread closely and I think I've decided to try an iphone5, I'm in no rush to get one straight away, I have to save first.

But I've been reading some stuff on the interweb today and have heard that the base model iphone5 pre orders are being taken for $199 in the US, but over here they will start at £529. I know the exchange rate isn't that great but I know over £500 is a LOT more than $199.

Why the massive price difference? Are they ripping us Brits off or am I missing something? If it is just a massive rip off then I think I can do without one to be honest.....

It is $199 in a two year contract, or something look again you will see it says in small text based on a two year contract.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It is $199 in a two year contract, or something look again you will see it says in small text based on a two year contract.

This. US price ties you into a 2 year contract. You can't buy one SIM free in the US, yet, like we can.

The big issue is that GiffGaff will not have Nano SIMs for some time so GiffGaffers will have to switch if they want an iPhone 5 early doors.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Cheers, how do they manage the masses outside the mall before opening? Are you given a numbered ticket for your place or is it a mad rush to the Apple store when security open the doors?

They don't, but this is England. The queue is nice and friendly. Every now and again they will open the doors to Churchill Square (at the Borders side (there's a clothes shop there now, don't know what it's called)). The let in about 20 at a time and wait for them to settle into a queue and issue them with a numbered ticket, asking you what model you want and then let another 20 in. It's all very civilised.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
They don't, but this is England. The queue is nice and friendly. Every now and again they will open the doors to Churchill Square (at the Borders side (there's a clothes shop there now, don't know what it's called)). The let in about 20 at a time and wait for them to settle into a queue and issue them with a numbered ticket, asking you what model you want and then let another 20 in. It's all very civilised.

Aah! Sounds good! Last thing I want is a stampede where I get the pips squeezed out of me! :lol:

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
This. US price ties you into a 2 year contract. You can't buy one SIM free in the US, yet, like we can.

The big issue is that GiffGaff will not have Nano SIMs for some time so GiffGaffers will have to switch if they want an iPhone 5 early doors.

Well that's me out of opening day then! Giffgaff is the way forward and if I have to wait a bit then so be it...

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
600 quid? FUCKINGHELL

Unlike pretty much every other high end phone it will hold it's value VERY well. Cost of ownership is very low if you can pony up the cash in the first place.

If you can't, get a contract like most folk.

Exactly. There's no difference between paying £600 for something that you sell for £300 when you upgrade, than buying something for £300 that you can't flog at the end of it. The iPhone 4s is currently going for £300.10 (I have no idea about the 10p) on the mobile-buying sites.

Having said that, I won't be shelling out £600 for it up front! I paid £90 for my 4s when taking out a 12 month contract, will get £300 for it now and pay probably £100 for the new iPhone 5 on contract. £200 in my pocket to spend on something useful, like a trip to a distant northern hellhole watching the Albion lose a game they should win.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
I'd rather spend my time discussing which member of the Village People I'd like to be than bicker about screen size and battery life on a PHONE.

Or, alternatively, spend your time discussing people who discuss phones, instead of discussing phones?

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I do actually find these threads quite entertaining. I have no interest in phones, but do derive an odd sense of pleasure from seeing people get so ENTHUSIASTIC about them. #geekwatch

Usually an alright poster but on this you seem abit of a idiot, Yes most people are being stupid but each to their own no need to look down your nose.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Ordered at 8.05... 2-3 week lead time. Bah

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
They must be low in demand or Apple have finally learnt to increase server capacity because the website is easy to navigate this morning, despite pre-orders being available on this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here