Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

iPhone 4 launch today at 8.02

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I have heard a rumour that the phone bit of iPhone 4 doesnt work if you hold the phone in your LEFT hand.

it blocks the antenna or summink and stops working....

That's just another anti apple rumour. Surely as bad as the old one that suggested that a previous version could not send MMS messages unlike phones costing a £10. Doh!

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I have heard a rumour that the phone bit of iPhone 4 doesnt work if you hold the phone in your LEFT hand.

seems to be a problem in America with the first batch, or it could be the new software launch. Lot of mixed info going around

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003

It always seem to be the same with Apple. However I'm sure this happens to plenty of other products, but we just don't hear about. Microsoft must be kicking themselfs at the moment. Apple has really changed the way a lot of people use technology over the last 10 years or so. Ipod, Iphone, Ipad, and of course their range of Macs.

At least Apple have shown users an alternative to Windows. Even if ppeople dont go Mac they look at Linux. Got to hand it to Apple really. I just hope Apple don't eventually get like Microsoft, where they shut down the complete marketplace, because this is Microsoft's downfall now, hence the switchers.

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove

That indeed is the rumour. There are already clips on YouTube illustrating the issue. Seems like a pretty bad design flaw if that is really true. I, however, am left handed and therefore hold the phone in my right hand. Is it possible that, for the first time in my life, being left-handed is actually going to help rather than hinder?

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Could not agree more. You also have to credit Apple with the ability to almost brain wash people into blind slavish devotion. I strolled past the crowd at o2 Eastbourne and had to resist the temptation of waving my HTC Desire which is every bit as good and a lot cheaper.

Its a bit like saying a skoda is as good a Ferrari

NO ITS NOT!!

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I dont have a Desire, but it has bluetooth, not a big deal, but something I find useful, and I dont think the IPhone does...I believe it has better camera...in all the reviews ive seen, it comes out as equal and in some respects, better, its no skoda.

and whilst on things Czech.... Skoda in Czech means 'shame' .... lol

Last edited:

Igor Gurinovich?

Mar 27, 2006
Southampton
What i find funny is the pathalogical denial of Apple users (i know) that they dont buy the stuff because its 'cool' or the image associated, but wail blindly that the technology is superior to anything else on the market. Really? a PHONE that looses its signal if you hold it wrong... come off it.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Apple stuff is not perfect but my experience is that its just better.

I use both platforms but have more grief with windows whilst on the whole the apple stuff just works straight out the box.

I hated my blackberry but when I got my iphone I solved all the problems I had with the berry in five minutes.

Sure the bluetooth is/was a bit of a letdown but there are ways round it.

I'm not going to get an ipad just yet but I bet when I do there will be great things about it.

Apple certainly think stuff through years ahead and it is marketed and sold to make money whereas a lot of non apple stuff has loads of free or cheap extras that don't work properly and then bring the whole thing to a useless mess.

Thats just my personal opinion though if you don't get on with apple or won't pay the premium thats up to you.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
probably fixtures but:

Why did the Chicken cross the road?

To try and get a signal on his iPhone 4!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Could not agree more. You also have to credit Apple with the ability to almost brain wash people into blind slavish devotion. I strolled past the crowd at o2 Eastbourne and had to resist the temptation of waving my HTC Desire which is every bit as good and a lot cheaper.

Do you also wave a Sony Walkman at Ipod users?

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
There is very limited stock so if you don't get in first you are likely to have to wait weeks.

Has no one else ever queued for anything? Football tickets, concert tickets? It's exactly the same.

No it isn't because unlike a football game, or concert, it's NOT a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I skived off school to get an FA Cup final replay ticket, but in 6 months time I can go and get an I-phone4 and probably get it a lot cheaper new ( or even second hand from some mug whose got more money than sense and traded it in for v5 ).

Would you queue outside the club ticket office for that all-important latest special must have Johnson Paints trophy game against Colchester Utd ( away ), tickets strictly limited on a first come first served basis......

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
I enjoyed it actually, a real buzz in the queue everyone having a laugh and the time flies by then.

Except at the end of it you're stung for £ 400 odd quid for something the size of a matchbox that will be made in it's millions.

If I had to queue up to spend £ 400 then I'd expect a bit more that just a poxy mass produced phone at the end for my reward. I'd want at the very least something unique, that no-one else will be ever likely to provide for me, that is made specifically to my requirement, to a spec that I've given, with personal service. Something like a besopke tailored suit, or hand crafted work of art / sculpture / jewelrey / watch / tattoo / engine rebuild /whatever takes your fancy.

So who of you queued up for your X-box, or your PSP's, or your NICAM stereo TV, or your Philips CD player that are now stacked up to the ceiling in cash converters ( and don't even work anymore ).

You'd all queue up for a Sinclair C5 if Steve Jobs called it an I-cart and told you it was the latest thing......

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Apple has really changed the way a lot of people use technology over the last 10 years or so. Ipod, Iphone, Ipad, and of course their range of Macs.

So how come I'm still using Cassette tapes and Compact discs, and still listening to good old steam radio.........

Apple didn't lauch the first personal music player, that was the Sony Walkman using Casettes, yes that's right, Casettes. Even before then in the late 1960's Uher were making personal Reel-to-Reel machines. And you could even get small record players that were no bigger that an I-pad, to make your LP's sound truely awful on the move. I think Ronco made something similar, remember Ronco, available from Woolworths and all good retailers......

Even before the war good old '78's could be played on a portable machine, all wound up by hand.

Apple didn't lauch the first mobile phone, that was Motorola way way back....... and I'd argue that CB radio even beat them to that........

And the I-pad has been around for 5 minutes so far, way to early judge yet. Too expensive at the moment to interest the masses

Apple, you believe the hype if you want to.........

Attachments

• stereo_portable_record_player_prp_5_569173.jpg
    stereo_portable_record_player_prp_5_569173.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 69
  • is480087.jpg
    is480087.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Just because a company doesn't produce the first something doesn't mean they can't produce the best or at least improve upon previous efforts, otherwise nobody would bother would they? Its called evolution - otherwise we would all still be driving around in Model-T Fords!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here