Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Interview with Paul Barber

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Was always going to be this way but console yourself with the fact how bad it would have been if we had bank loans to repay as well
True.

If your that pissed off with it, stay at home and be don't be part of the 'fleecing'. Where, in your opinion,are fans getting "fleeced"?
Yes, I am well aware I can stay at home if I disapprove. Thanks for pointing out the incredibly obvious. But it's hardly the way to build a fan base is it? I have three kids.
And actually, I am not saying we are being fleeced. I am saying that I am sceptical about Barber doing anything other than raising prices across the board. Hopefully my concerns will be misplaced.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
If your that pissed off with it, stay at home and be don't be part of the 'fleecing'. Where, in your opinion,are fans getting "fleeced"?

Are we simply going to repeat the mantra "we are not a noddy club anymore" every time the club tries to absolutely fleece it's fans?

True.

Yes, I am well aware I can stay at home if I disapprove. Thanks for pointing out the incredibly obvious. But it's hardly the way to build a fan base is it? I have three kids.
And actually, I am not saying we are being fleeced. I am saying that I am sceptical about Barber doing anything other than raising prices across the board. Hopefully my concerns will be misplaced.

Surely you have just posted that the club trys to "absolutely fleece it's fans". You seem a bit confused what you do actually think?

Last edited:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I thought the charges for being a mascot were just for FDMs testimonial

So far. But the season hasn't kicked off yet. The mascot positions sold very quickly and there were even people unhappy they'd been unable to get their child involved. This is bad news for the future as far as I am concerned because it will have told the people that matter that there is a demand for it, and there is money to be made from it. I'm not anti-money, or against their means of generating it. But I think it's a slippery slope, once you start charging for mascots, it can only go downhill from there.

That's a terrible attitude. And it's not the first time you've come across that way in this thread. You're entitled to your opinion as I am entitled to mine, but the pricing is very close to being too high and therefore is close to pricing people out of supporting the club. Which is counter productive, however you look at it. If you don't have the money, you can't go. And if you can't go, you'll gradually start to feel detached and when that happens, it's no good for anyone. The pricing for this season is over the top, we're a community club but the focus appears to have drifted away from that when pricing structures for this season were discussed. Luckily for me, I have a season ticket and can pay monthly, otherwise there's no way I would have been able to go much this season.

Are we simply going to repeat the mantra "we are not a noddy club anymore" every time the club tries to absolutely fleece it's fans?

Some people will. And if that's what they believe, then fair enough. But I don't believe that, and never will. The club shouldn't only cater for the rich, the club needs all types of fan in order to thrive. The Amex is amazing, we all know that, and it costs money to maintain and expand, nobody is arguing with that either. But none of that means that the prices should be risen to a point where they are prohibitive, and they're gradually getting there.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I don't understand this concept to me it is supply and demand and clearly there is a demand there. If the pricing goes up and the demand drops then the club will need to re-think but at present that does not seem to be happening.

The Amex season costs more and so it should but there is a choice on whether you partake of what is on offer, personally I don't bother

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
So far. But the season hasn't kicked off yet. The mascot positions sold very quickly and there were even people unhappy they'd been unable to get their child involved. This is bad news for the future as far as I am concerned because it will have told the people that matter that there is a demand for it, and there is money to be made from it. I'm not anti-money, or against their means of generating it. But I think it's a slippery slope, once you start charging for mascots, it can only go downhill from there.

That's a terrible attitude. And it's not the first time you've come across that way in this thread. You're entitled to your opinion as I am entitled to mine, but the pricing is very close to being too high and therefore is close to pricing people out of supporting the club. Which is counter productive, however you look at it. If you don't have the money, you can't go. And if you can't go, you'll gradually start to feel detached and when that happens, it's no good for anyone. The pricing for this season is over the top, we're a community club but the focus appears to have drifted away from that when pricing structures for this season were discussed. Luckily for me, I have a season ticket and can pay monthly, otherwise there's no way I would have been able to go much this season.

Some people will. And if that's what they believe, then fair enough. But I don't believe that, and never will. The club shouldn't only cater for the rich, the club needs all types of fan in order to thrive. The Amex is amazing, we all know that, and it costs money to maintain and expand, nobody is arguing with that either. But none of that means that the prices should be risen to a point where they are prohibitive, and they're gradually getting there.

To be fair I have never said you were not entitled to your opinion, which is why I asked where you thought you are being fleeced so I had your opinion? Pricing for match day tickets are higher this year but this syrely keeps season tickets prices down, so surely if you are going to most matches get a season ticket and save money and if you can only go to the odd game then you pay more! I think the 'we are a community club' and we will become 'detatched' as fans is all nice in theory but you need to realise that this club is not the club that played at Withdean. If we get to the Premiership things will change again and not for the cheaper. It's called supply and demand, I understand you points but take an opposing view to you.....I think that is allowed.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I don't understand this concept to me it is supply and demand and clearly there is a demand there. If the pricing goes up and the demand drops then the club will need to re-think but at present that does not seem to be happening.

The Amex season costs more and so it should but there is a choice on whether you partake of what is on offer, personally I don't bother

I thought YOU were PAYING for me to BE a MASCOT ?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Is it? Cardiff and Barnsley tickets have been on sale for a while now and are nowhere near selling out. Plus we've still got the prospect of both clubs handing some of their tickets back, giving us another 1,000/2,000. Surely the very first case study we have available to us is showing the demand ISN'T there now we have a larger stadium?

I meant with catering prices not actually selling tickets

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
What a horribly arrogant post. We are not "in line" with other clubs in this division. Barnsley's first two away matches of the season are at Wolves and then at The Amex. They're paying £24 for Molineux and £34 for The Amex.

Some slight misinformation there TBC , Barnsley fans have the option to buy tickets for The Amex game at £28 and £34 , we are the only club in The Championship that includes a £2 travel element for all fans.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009

If prices go up when do they ever come down again?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Absolutely spot on. I think the mistake the board is making is that they think we have a large AND loyal fanbase. We don't. We have quite a small loyal fanbase topped up with thousands of people who are not in the habit of attending every week over a number of years. The Albion did SO well last season to sell the number of tickets they did and to bring people back/attract new fans. However, the second either a) season tickets become too expensive or b) things go wrong on the pitch, our season ticket numbers will come crashing down and all the good work is undone. It's inevitable that B will happen at some point, but at the moment I think all the signs say A is much nearer.

Maybe we're just doom mongers, but it appears we're thinking along exactly the same lines on this issue. Personally, I think it's realism. There was always going to be interest in the first season at the Amex, and there will always be interest whilst we are winning and doing really well. We're in a very positive cycle at the moment, long may it last. Upward cycles inevitably don't last forever.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here