Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Interesting Review of Brighton

lethaldrizzle

Apr 30, 2007
South East London
Awww look, someone's read Vice and now thinks she's SUCH a cool, clever girl.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I love Brighton and like previous comments, when I say where I'm from, I too get the "Oh isnt that the gay capital?"

What I hate about brighton is the pretentious attitude, such as naked bike rides are cool as its brighton and thats what we do here! :US:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
someones pissed on her cornflakes - presumably a student coming back from a late night clubing.

they say if you are tired of London you are tired of life, and the same could be said of Brigthon. Author needs to spend time in another town then decide if she hates Brigthon so much. if she cant find a decent Pub in the North Laine or a club she likes, then obviously doesnt actually like pubs or clubbing much. nowt wrong with that, but it would be like me saying all the gallaries are rubbish when i dont care much for art.

or... maybe shes from Hove and gutted Brighton gets all the attention. thats it isnt it?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Awww look, someone's read Vice and now thinks she's SUCH a cool, clever girl.

Quite. Just some dreary hipper-than-thou student type trying to make a bit of a name for themselves by taking the opposite view with a blunt instrument. Though the last line is the giveaway: ' I have no idea where the interesting people of Brighton hang out. In all the good pubs, they are never to be found. To be honest, all the good people have probably returned to London.'

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
I couldn’t agree with you more, those pretentious art students are sheepish, insecure and have a huge sense of entitlement just cos they live in a small town so they can look like ‘the bomb’.
I especially hate the ones that make websites publishing articles about how shit their town is when they are actually the biggest hipsters in it. Yeah, photographers, f***ing lame. Who took those pictures? Same guy that takes pictures at every single ‘musically mainstream and dire’ night. Yeah, you and all your friends have nothing to do with the promotion of Shameless at Life on Thursdays. None of you wear flat-peak New Era caps, or American Apparel hoodies with the drawstring laced. No not at all, I’m sure.

:lolol: :clap: :lolol:

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
What is she on about with The Lanes? Yes, it can be crammed at times, but there are countless great places to eat, drink and shop. Glad she isn't my other half - think of how hard it must be to impress her if she can't find anything she likes round there.

The only thing I agreed with her about at all were her comments about students pretty much controlling the town.

I love Brighton to bits, and have been a local since I was a toddler, but it pisses me off no end when I get arrogant snobbish art students pushing in front of me in some pub or club or sneering at me because I got served when it was actually my turn to be. Both of which happened to me last night!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I love Brighton to bits, and have been a local since I was a toddler, but it pisses me off no end when I get arrogant snobbish art students pushing in front of me in some pub or club or sneering at me because I got served when it was actually my turn to be. Both of which happened to me last night!

can't say that's ever happened to me but I've had plenty of old farts do it.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Brighton has it's short comings like anywhere but that article seems to have been written by somebody who hasn't seen much of anywhere else. Youth is probably a factor.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Thats not the Brighton I know, we all see things differently though I suppose.

D

Deleted User X18H

Is a load of nonsense. Firstly, you're ALWAYS boasting about which part of Brighton you live in - often with snide comments for those that live in the towns around it.

Secondly, Brighton would only ever be a town to live in and not feel some sort of pride (excuse the pun) to a complete and utter imagination-vacuum like yourself.

We've got high fashion meets high street, an embarrassment of cultural riches from England's biggest arts festival to annual free gigs and concerts, dozens of local festivals and fairs, an extraordinary diversity of views, a history of tolerance. People come to Brighton because it's quirky. Entrepreneurs take retail risks in Brighton that they wouldn't or couldn't anywhere else outside of London. How many other towns have a cafe culture?

Be proud of your town. It's like no other. It's louche, it's pretentious, it's sleazy and it's a lot of fun.

Viva Brighton!

Rubbish! There is so much of this 'look at me I'm so different' culture in town nowadays its ridiculous, so much so that nobody is that eye catching anymore no one ever one turns a blind eye to the exotic and bohemian so nobody is making a massive statement because they are in Brighton. It is just a conurbation that has latterly become a twin City it hasn't even got an Ice Rink or a proper Sports Stadium (yet) it has it quirks and tolerance to certain cultures, but only in certain areas.

The sad thing is it's the faux pretension that has driven many real Brightonians away from town, people who have a massive heritage and ancestry in the town who now simply can't afford to live here. Why? Because Brighton is perceived by many as an almost exclusive club of haves and not many have nots. The infiltration of so many people from other area's has so vastly diluted the population of generations of real Brightonians that the town is beginning to lose it's historic identity.

Just calm yourself about Brighton being this uber capital of culture. What is a cafe culture? A seaside town with an abundance a cafes? Really how unusual. Free Art festivals with a University boasting and established Art College? How weird. Get a grip Brighton is just a place to be not 'the place to be.

For me my ancestors have been here since the mid 1800's how they would laugh now at what some new Brightonians think they are.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Rubbish! There is so much of this 'look at me I'm so different' culture in town nowadays its ridiculous, so much so that nobody is that eye catching anymore no one ever one turns a blind eye to the exotic and bohemian so nobody is making a massive statement because they are in Brighton. It is just a conurbation that has latterly become a twin City it hasn't even got an Ice Rink or a proper Sports Stadium (yet) it has it quirks and tolerance to certain cultures, but only in certain areas.

The sad thing is it's the faux pretension that has driven many real Brightonians away from town, people who have a massive heritage and ancestry in the town who now simply can't afford to live here. Why? Because Brighton is perceived by many as an almost exclusive club of haves and not many have nots. The infiltration of so many people from other area's has so vastly diluted the population of generations of real Brightonians that the town is beginning to lose it's historic identity.

Just calm yourself about Brighton being this uber capital of culture. What is a cafe culture? A seaside town with an abundance a cafes? Really how unusual. Free Art festivals with a University boasting and established Art College? How weird. Get a grip Brighton is just a place to be not 'the place to be.

For me my ancestors have been here since the mid 1800's how they would laugh now at what some new Brightonians think they are.

But as has proved on here time and time again - and the fact that this still hasn't sunk in is testimony to your ignorance and lack of vitality and grace - you haven't got a clue as to what you're on about regarding Brighton.

When you talk about Brighton, you only talk about your Brighton, something which few people recognise, and fewer people still care about.

You are a cultural desert.

D

Deleted User X18H

But as has proved on here time and time again - and the fact that this still hasn't sunk in is testimony to your ignorance and lack of vitality and grace - you haven't got a clue as to what you're on about regarding Brighton.

When you talk about Brighton, you only talk about your Brighton, something which few people recognise, and fewer people still care about.

You are a cultural dessert.

And I bet you'd eat me:laugh:

Talk about sharking, you have just been waiting for me to post on this. Well I am glad I didn't disappoint. You are fully entitled to how you perceive your Brighton. But as a 5th or 6th(still searching) generation Brightonian, that's my view. And it's shared by many many others.

Last edited:

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
So, basically we are a unique city with personality. If the writer does not like the place he can always go and live in Redhill, Reigate or Milton Keynes.

Anyone that moves away from Brighton soon realises how much they miss it. It has its faults but every city has. Personally I cannot think of a better city in the UK, honestly.

this, i have moved away more times than i care to remember but the old place always makes you come home (well i'm as near as i can now afford) :clap2:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
And I bet you'd eat me:laugh:

Talk about sharking, you have just been waiting for me to post on this. Well I am glad I didn't disappoint. You are fully entitled to how you perceive your Brighton. But as a 5th or 6th(still searching) generation Brightonian, that's my view. And it's shared by many many others.

Don't flatter yourself, you odious bigot.

Your self-important claim to your family's history in the town counts for nothing. It's your blinkered ignorance of what's going on around you is the important point.

Besides, your 'look at me' criticism of people in Brighton is cringeworthy hypocrisy at its most finely-tuned - something you have turned into an art form.

Last edited:

D

Deleted User X18H

Don't flatter yourself, you odious bigot.

Your self-important claim to your family's history in the town counts for nothing. It's your blinkered ignorance of what's going on around you is the important point.

Besides, your 'look at me' criticism of people in Brighton is cringeworthy hypocrisy at its most finely-tuned - something you have turned into an art form.

Not bad for a weekend even with the quick edit. Must be Skype:lolol:

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Is a load of nonsense. Firstly, you're ALWAYS boasting about which part of Brighton you live in - often with snide comments for those that live in the towns around it.

Secondly, Brighton would only ever be a town to live in and not feel some sort of pride (excuse the pun) to a complete and utter imagination-vacuum like yourself.

We've got high fashion meets high street, an embarrassment of cultural riches from England's biggest arts festival to annual free gigs and concerts, dozens of local festivals and fairs, an extraordinary diversity of views, a history of tolerance. People come to Brighton because it's quirky. Entrepreneurs take retail risks in Brighton that they wouldn't or couldn't anywhere else outside of London. How many other towns have a cafe culture?

Be proud of your town. It's like no other. It's louche, it's pretentious, it's sleazy and it's a lot of fun.

Viva Brighton!

Out of interest where can I find out about Brighton's history of tolerance?

Maybe you could let the Smash EDO Herberts know about it too?

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
HB&B I've said it before and I'll say it again BUT if you have such a disregard for this city that most of us are actually very proud of why don't you just go somewhere else?

Clearly you don't fit in because you don't want to and whatever it is that you want from a town (presumably NO other people, references to culture or tolerance and pleasantries) you aren't going to find here.

You don't even have a job here, so what's stopping you from f***ing off to somewhere you can grumble in peace and leave the rest of us to enjoy the place?

Anyway, back to the article, I notice the author claims "To be honest, all the good people have probably returned to London" when complaining about never meeting anyone she likes which rather suggests that these "good people" came from London in the first place. Surely it's all the trendy London types that have taken over the town that she is complaining about, no?

All very pointless anyway, you don't have to like it, nobody's forcing you. A lot of people do like it though, because it's better than anywhere else in Britain.

D

Deleted User X18H

HB&B I've said it before and I'll say it again BUT if you have such a disregard for this city that most of us are actually very proud of why don't you just go somewhere else?

Clearly you don't fit in because you don't want to and whatever it is that you want from a town (presumably NO other people, references to culture or tolerance and pleasantries) you aren't going to find here.

You don't even have a job here, so what's stopping you from f***ing off to somewhere you can grumble in peace and leave the rest of us to enjoy the place?

No but I own property here which people rent out who actually pay all their rent themselves, so I have a duty of care to them if they need a level of service.

I have nothing but high regard for the town I was born in live in and will hopefully although not just yet die in. But parts of it a way overated.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here