Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Inquiry Update

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
CrabtreeBHA said:
Turns out the NIMBY lawyer seems adamant that 11% of us will CYCLE to sheepcote compared to under 9% for Falmer......anyone here EVER ridden their bicycle to a match?!?!

Absolutely. I think it needs nailing down exactly which set of constituents is PAYING for this sort of swill. Cos there's some (presumably) elected body somewhere on the anti-Falmer side of the chamber playing fast and loose with their Council Tax payers' monies. Irrespective of the eventual outcome of the Inquiry, some of the statements being issued by the NIMBYs have GOT to be verging on criminal misrepresentation. Certainly if I had the misfortune to fall within the catchment are of LDC, I'd have the Audit Commission on their case like a SHOT! :angry:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Now I love cycling, just like the next man, but I live in Gloucester, that is about a 300 mile round trip, jeez I would need to leave home on Thursday and not make it back till the following Tuesday!!!

Kev the Ape

Expect heavy traffic jams on the bypass because of these 11% cycling to the stadium. Do these nimbys know anythink?. :nono:

Last edited:

mr turd

Nov 22, 2004
READING
Can the club afford a mile of bike sheds:lolol:

hmmm ...

He didn't actually say that 11 per cent of Albion fans would cycle anywhere.

What he said was that 11 per cent of people in the Albion catchment area live within cycling distance of Sheepcote Valley. As opposed to there being 9 per cent of people in the Albion catchment area who live within cycling distance of Falmer. Which, according to Lewes DC, means that more people are likely to cycle to a stadium at Sheepcote Valley.

"Cycling distance" is 5 km (paragraph 78 of the government's Planning Policy Guidance Note on Transport, PPG13).

The Albion's transport consultant estimates that about 1 per cent of fans will cycle to games at Falmer and that 1 per cent will cycle to games if they were played at Sheepcote Valley.

The Lewes DC transport consultant's estimate is that 2 per cent of fans will cycle to Sheepcote Valley.

For what it's worth, the actual figure for Withdean is, apparently, 1 per cent.

All figures are rounded to the nearest whole number.

The Albion's transport consultant seems to take the view that 1 per cent of fans will cycle wherever the stadium is located and that the this figure doesn't vary significantly according to the distances involved. It's just a fact of life that a small number of people cycle and this needs to be taken into account when predicting travel patterns to stadiums.

The point of difference between the Albion and Lewes DC is that the Lewes consultant is saying that distance is a significant factor.

My view is that, on its own, the likely number of cyclists makes no practical difference in deciding which stadium is in a better location.

Walking, on the other hand, IS a significant factor - which we will hear more about as the Inquiry continues.

Incidentally, the Lewes DC transport consultant hasn't yet presented his evidence. It's available, however, on the Lewes DC website.

Both the Albion's transport consultant and Lewes DC's consultant have based their estimates on the numbers of people who live in particular areas within the overall Albion catchment area. Brighton & Hove City Council will present transport evidence which will make predictions based on the postcodes of actual Albion ticket holders on the Club's ticket database.

Last edited:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:

For what it's worth, the actual figure for Withdean is, apparently, 1 per cent.

All figures are rounded to the nearest whole number.

I'm wondering where these 70 bikes are parked at Withdean? I've only ever seen a couple of bikes at any home game.....

Bwian - my guess is that "some" cyclists will always get rounded up to 1 per cent.

Transport consultants like to reserve "0 per cent" for travel modes that simply won't happen - like travelling to Upper Beeding Cement Works by train.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What irritated me is how Mr White (the NIMBY lawyer) drew the conclusion that because Sheepcote has a catchment of 11% within cycing distance of a stadium there, compared with 8.8% within cycling distance of Falmer, this is then presented as a FACT to the Inspector that "therefore Sheepcote Valley is MORE accessible by bike than Falmer" - completely disregarding the more pertinent fact that only a miniscule percentage of people actually cycle anyway (1% as Lord B says).

It was a constant battle of twisting statistics to suit his own ends, whilst brushing under the carpet the more relevent facts of the situation.

Easy 10 said:
What irritated me is how Mr White (the NIMBY lawyer) drew the conclusion that because Sheepcote has a catchment of 11% within cycing distance of a stadium there, compared with 8.8% within cycling distance of Falmer, this is then presented as a FACT to the Inspector that "therefore Sheepcote Valley is MORE accessible by bike than Falmer" - completely disregarding the more pertinent fact that only a miniscule percentage of people actually cycle anyway (1% as Lord B says).

It was a constant battle of twisting statistics to suit his own ends, whilst brushing under the carpet the more relevent facts of the situation.
Indeed.

The most relevant statistic is that, at Falmer, there will be sustainable transport facilities available to 98 per cent of people attending matches (assuming that the car parking facilities that are available will be strictly controlled by the Club with a parking scheme that actively encourages car sharing - since no-one, apart from players, match officials, directors, staff, match sponsors and disabled people will be permitted to park in the car parks unless they can produce three travel vouchers on the day).

At Sheepcote Valley, where much of the on-street parking within walking distance of the ground (2 miles) is uncontrollable, sustainable transport facilities will only be available to 81 per cent of spectators - leaving more than 2,000 cars roaming the streets, looking for somewhere to park.

That key statistic demonstrates that Sheepcote Valley is less effective than Falmer in delivering a sustainable transport solution.

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I used to cycle to the Goldstone in the last season. I spotted another bike, but it may have just been left there.

3% of people travel to work by bike in Sussex (according to the 1991 census).

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I would cycle a lot more but for the fact I had my bike stolen from Shoreham station so get up earlier and walk.

Just out of interest where will the park and rides be for Falmer ?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
roz said:
Yes, but that was 14 years ago. It'd be interesting to see what the situation is now.
No it wouldn't. Don't indulge him, please. :p

Anyway, even those figures would paint a distorted picture. There is little in common between the concept of cycling to work (something you do on your own), and cycling to a football match (where you may have to cart half your family with you.)

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
The Large One said:
No it wouldn't. Don't indulge him, please. :p

Anyway, even those figures would paint a distorted picture...

True. And agree that it's utter tosh to even think of applying statistics about cycling to work in the context of travelling to a football match. I was just interested in knowing whether providing cycle lanes and developing green travel to work plans etc., had actually had any effect at all when compared with the 1991 figures.

But instead of being lazy and opening another can of worms, best I go and check the statistics meself!

Lush

Mods' Pet
s.stubbs said:
If i cycled up elm grove
i'd be breathing out my arsehole by the time i got to the top

The ONLY piece of evidence you need to explain why Sheepcote Valley is not suitable for cycling...

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Falmer on the other hand is a fairly level cycle even from the centre of Brighton, surely???? Aren't there even cycle lanes up the Lewes Road for all the stoodents????

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I've only ever seen one person cycle to football and that is Krispies.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Lush said:
The ONLY piece of evidence you need to explain why Sheepcote Valley is not suitable for cycling...

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Falmer on the other hand is a fairly level cycle even from the centre of Brighton, surely???? Aren't there even cycle lanes up the Lewes Road for all the stoodents????

Actually, Lewes Road is quite deceptive for the incline. I am guessing but I think the Falmer stadium site must be about 250-300 feet above sea level. But yes there are cycle routes.

And if you want to cycle to Sheepcote, you can cycle along the seafront. Unless of course, we are talking Sheepcote North, in which case - f*** that.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
roz said:
Yes, but that was 14 years ago. It'd be interesting to see what the situation is now.

When the 2001 figures are published we will know. I expect it will be less not for any relevant reason. It is just that people have to travel further to work nowadays. About five miles from the Goldstone, it was about the same time as the car or train. Level roads though.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here