Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Increase the North stand capacity

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I went on a tour pre-opening and the area behind the camera gantry is massive and completely empty currently. I can't believe there aren't plans of some sort, nomatter how tentative, to use that space. Whether it could be used for extra North Stand capacity some how I have no idea.

The museum ?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I went on a tour pre-opening and the area behind the camera gantry is massive and completely empty currently. I can't believe there aren't plans of some sort, nomatter how tentative, to use that space. Whether it could be used for extra North Stand capacity some how I have no idea.

That red-line gradient would be illegal on safety grounds, and would the club offices want their windows blacked out.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I couldn't help but notice in my first time not to watch from the North stand, how unintimidating it looks, and how from the halfway line it's easily drowned out by a full away end. Blog at wolf-e-boy.com/ blog on 2012 says the rest, from the Wrexham game. Comments please

Sorry but you are a total plank.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The museum ?

Nope - the museum is a floor or two below near Dick's.

would the club offices want their windows blacked out.

Probably not, but they get heaps of natural light from the other side - the office is essentially a large open-plan area running from the North Stand to the outer wall of the stadium.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

if you are talking about the upper level of windows, that is currently storage space full of training gear and stuff. when we went on a tour during the aston villa fa youth cup game, they said that eventually that would be used as office space for club officials - not sure if that involved moving the current stuff the floor below or merely additional space

Gangsta

Jul 6, 2003
Withdean
From middle of West ( just to south of half-way line ) you get great noise from the North Stand ( and all stands in fact ), not sure why accoustics in East are any different? Bozza right re space at top of North stand - why not use for extra seats - even another 5 to 10 rows would make the stand look that much bigger and massively increase the noise levels.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Nice to see an intelligent reply, thanks for your shining wit.

Wasn't meant to be funny. Your comment showed a total lack of thought and awareness of why the stadium is built the way it is. If you'd bothered to make a sensible point or had done any research (or thinking) before posting, I may have replied more constructively.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Wasn't meant to be funny. Your comment showed a total lack of thought and awareness of why the stadium is built the way it is. If you'd bothered to make a sensible point or had done any research (or thinking) before posting, I may have replied more constructively.

I just took it as spam advertising his blog. Think it may be a HB&B alias. :lolol:

Sent by yolk folk

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I read some of the blog - hence my comment. Here's a quote that covers Wolf boys thoughts on the North Stand:

"Looking down from above the halfway line, a couple of things hit me, and stung a little I'm afraid, firstly, how insignificant the North stand looks from there, and secondly, but most painful, is how the away support drown them out with comparable ease. I've only been in the North stand before todays game, so could have no idea how mute we would appear to the away fans, much like we mock them in our ignorance when they decide to chirp up, suddenly I'm aware that the North stand is inadequate, and grossly so, but not the fans I hasten to add, it simply isn't big enough. Among the building plans which the Albion wish to embark upon, they should make it an absolute priority to increase the North stand capacity, otherwise the 'Home' end will just become an embarrassment, a stick with which away fans will take great delight in beating us. The stadium itself has a good atmosphere, but you want a great atmosphere behind the goal, it should be the focus of support, not a sideshow to the much bigger West stand. For me, the game has always been about the atmosphere every bit as much as the football, a match without either is a disappointment"

wolfeeboy

Jan 8, 2012
Shoreham by sea
You clearly have issues, decent courtesy costs nothing. I'm not the only one that thinks this is the case, so does that mean just because it doesn't fit in to your view point that it has no place being expressed. Ease up on the aggressive tone and remember we support the same team. 'Total lack of thought and awareness' ? , 'research' ? I've been to every game, but this was the first time not in the North, so it stood out how a full away end drowned the North out, I didn't crow about it, just made an observation, followed by an inquiry as to what others thought here. Tell me I'm wrong in your opinion by all means, but no need for it to be abusive.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You clearly have issues, decent courtesy costs nothing. I'm not the only one that thinks this is the case, so does that mean just because it doesn't fit in to your view point that it has no place being expressed. Ease up on the aggressive tone and remember we support the same team. 'Total lack of thought and awareness' ? , 'research' ? I've been to every game, but this was the first time not in the North, so it stood out how a full away end drowned the North out, I didn't crow about it, just made an observation, followed by an inquiry as to what others thought here. Tell me I'm wrong in your opinion by all means, but no need for it to be abusive.

1. Away crowds generally put more into making some sound than home fans. It's just the way football is, especially when...
2. The away crowd are at what, for them, is a massive game and largely a nothing game to the home support. This was the case on Saturday.
3. Yes it would be lovely if we had a great big imposing end behind the goal for Albion fans, but...
4. The specifics of what could be done with the Amex were very limited so it couldn't be done. You're aware this whole stadium thing was a bit of a struggle, right?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Why cant they just rotate the pitch so the WSU is the North Stand. :jester:

wolfeeboy

Jan 8, 2012
Shoreham by sea
Alright, I cede the point I have exaggerated the point, and not mentioned strongly enough how good the overall atmosphere is. It was a bit of a shock at the time, and written with the memory fresh in my mind. That said, I don't think it's that unreasonable to say it's worth looking at the situation surely? I haven't come out and stated I'm a Nazi or anything as offensive as all that.

wolfeeboy

Jan 8, 2012
Shoreham by sea
Yes I am aware, I can see I'll have to think very carefully before I air an opinion here again. Certainly didn't think it would get this much attention, but I don't mind that. I love the stadium, but I just thought, as they're already talking about increasing the capacity, why not make the North stand a part of that work. Is that so unreasonable?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I thought calling you a plank was me being courteous. Having done you the courtesy of reading your blog, I concluded that your calling for the expansion of the north stand as a priority was the rambling of an idiot. Surely you understand that if the Albion could have built a bigger stand they would have?

As for the noise - the whole stadium was quiet on Saturday. Too many regulars missing, occasionals not getting involved, generally a no win situation for the Albion and a huge and vociferous away turnout. So judging the sound from the north stand on Saturday is not really representative. I sit in WSL C block and the north always make a great noise - apart from on Saturday.

- so expand the stand? If you had stopped and thought about this at all, you'd realise that is a ridiculous statement
- lack of noise from the north? How would you know. Saturday was not typical.

Sorry, but I think that was summed up more succinctly as "plank".

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I wouldn't worry [MENTION=23041]wolfeeboy[/MENTION] - I kind of see what you're trying to say. But NSC has a steep learning curve. Ask Jamie and Dan.

1. Away crowds generally put more into making some sound than home fans. It's just the way football is, especially when...
2. The away crowd are at what, for them, is a massive game and largely a nothing game to the home support. This was the case on Saturday.
3. Yes it would be lovely if we had a great big imposing end behind the goal for Albion fans, but...
4. The specifics of what could be done with the Amex were very limited so it couldn't be done. You're aware this whole stadium thing was a bit of a struggle, right?

Talking of which, B&HCC has asked for some of the extension application documentation to be amended and re-submitted before the application (received on 19/12/2011) can be validated. Looks to be minor stuff (just careless) but a week or two delay.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here