Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

In Gus do we trust?

Dumseagull

Jun 13, 2012
Lancing
Judgement should be saved for the end of the season, lets see what happens in January too.

He is a great manager, no doubt, but you cant be on top form all season, this has been our ruff patch...?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I know, I know! and still think he is the 'man' but I worry about some of his tactics and just wonder if he needs a older head behind him giving advice?

Maybe NSC should set up an advisory panel as so many people on here (who presumably have done their coaching badges, and have experience of managing professional football teams) think they know better than Gus...

Or maybe not, and let him carry on building and learning?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
You only learn by making mistakes

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
As others have said, he showed he does have tactical knowledge by the changes he made. What on earth was he thinking with the starting line up though? We scored NONE on Saturday so the change he made was to put Hoskins on the bench and bring in Hammond - Bizarre!

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I've often wondered if he is too stubborn to change his tactics but tonight was the first time I've noticed him changing things early on and all credit to him.

Agreed - I was pleasantly surprised when we made the early sub and it almost paid off immediately

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
We hit the bar twice as well. If Dave had scored from that free kick at 1-0 it may have been different.

One thing that does concern me is giving the ball away "cheaply" but thats the players not the "system"

Jimmy boy 69

Nov 24, 2012
Brighton
I Can't believe I am posting this as I love this man, his interviews are brilliant, great player,got us into the Championship, but for the first time there is a bit of me wondering whether he has got the tactical 'nouse' at this level? I could be completely wrong and we sign a striker in Jan that scores 20 goals and we get automatic promotion, but I just have this nagging doubt!

What do you want blood...... Can't believe half of the shit that gets posted on here, being supporters i thought was supporting your team ie positive thoughts,we was 2/0 down and thanks to gus's changes got a draw out of it on top of that we are a top ten team FFA, fair enough we are not playing well but all hear on here is moan moan f***ing moan, " can gus get us their" " we need a striker " "we want to stand up " "oh its to expensive to go" " the clubs to commercial"...........tell u what lets spend a trillion quid win every fuckin cup in the world, never loses game and some of u will still be moaning that the pies are cold........FFA stop whining and get behind the team.....

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Apart from the Plan B which saw us come back from 2 down presumably.

defo!!

We had 2 wingers, 2 strikers plus the enigma Ashley Barnes on at one point. If you included spanish Dave, there were 6 attacking players..... bit different to our usual Plan A of one striker and a winger, with everyone else behind the ball,

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
When gus came to the club we were averaging crowds below 7000 at the withdean but with the promise of the club moving to the Amex with a capacity of 22500.
So who is to blame for crowds over 26500 in the 3 years gus has been at the club.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He's a great manager with a real blind spot when it comes to understanding what makes a decent striker at this level.

I love the way we try to play (usually), I love some of the players he's brought in, and I love the fact that he is not afraid to make changes quickly when needed and makes sensible use of his substitutes.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Tried to match Millwall's formation rather than beat it today. We should be making the other team change their system and play our game ESPECIALLY at home. Thought he did a good job at half time and the goal we conceeded came from a mistake NOT tactics. Fact is we were by far the better team second half after he changed things and his first substitution was inspired. We were WOEFUL first half which for me was down to him but then he salvaged it as much as anyone not called LuaLua

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Oh and imho we play much much better when we play a fast tempo. It's not a case of short or long, backwards, sideways or forwards....... it's a case of picking up the pace. Slow, slow, slow, FAST is fine....... as long as the fast comes eventually in the move..... 1st half it didn't appear at all

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here