Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

In Gus do we trust?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Will he learn? Its becoming a habbit now and all I read on here is thst hell learn from that. Read the same last year and its becoming bloody obvious that he hasnt or cant learn.

Ignoring for a second that your post looks like it was written by a 7 year old child with learning difficulties, who do you think we should get instead?

Let me guess. Mick McCarthy? Sam Allardyce? A proper English manager like that?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
We might have rolled over at 0-2 but fought back and got a valuable point. One of the other big positives about tonight was Gus making an early change of player and giving KLL an hour to have a proper impact on the game.

The other thing is that I'm sure that Gus would love to have Orlandi and/or Vicente available and I reckon they would have changed the dynamic for us over the last few games.

I am encouraged that at last Gus is learning from his mistakes. After all he is still learning his way as a manager and the expectations on him are still probably a bit high. OK we are not winning as many games as we should but we aren't losing too many either, so not a disaster. We are still in touch with the playoffs. His next test is the transfer window and getting the right player in, an area in which he has mixed results and again I hope he is learning from past mistakes. Any signings will be pivotal to our chances this season. However looking at the bigger picture we are still only halfway into the 5 year masterplan and the direction of travel is upward, so no need to panic.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Yes..... we are now an established championship team thanks to him. Sheff Weds have the same money and infrastructure as us and dave Jones is doing nowhere near as well and he got a pedigree.

Given time he will take us to the premiership but he didnt promise this season and Im therefore not holding him to it.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I still think he is doing a good job. Instant success is unrealistic and as far as I am concerned if he keeps playing at this level he can have another few seasons to build and get us up.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
100% f***ing love the man. We are a work in progress and those throwing hissy fits because we are not running away with the league should take a long hard look at the calibre and history of some of the teams in this division.

The mongy comments on here and the Argus really do make us a laughing stock. No-one else in the football world expects us to go up.

As Joni Mitchell once said "You don't know what you got 'til it's gone" - rings true in this case if some of the degenerates on here get their way. Thankfully they are a gobby but persistant minority as this thread shows.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I'm bored of Poyet now. Give the team to another manager and see what they can do with them

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
100% f***ing love the man. We are a work in progress and those throwing hissy fits because we are not running away with the league should take a long hard look at the calibre and history of some of the teams in this division.

The mongy comments on here and the Argus really do make us a laughing stock. No-one else in the football world expects us to go up.

As Joni Mitchell once said "You don't know what you got 'til it's gone" - rings true in this case if some of the degenerates on here get their way. Thankfully they are a gobby but persistant minority as this thread shows.

Totally agree

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Gus is the man. He is honest - he admits he got it worng tonight with the line up and rectified after 37 minutes. He has said numerous occasions publicly (and again last night) that we need a strker. BTW, this worries me as it implicilty publicly undermines CMS, Barnes and Hoskins and wonder whether it contributes to their poor performances, trying to prove themselves and rushing.

There was a fine thread a few weeks ago along the lines that we are very close to being a top 2/3 team in this League; I am with that, the difference beween that and 8th is very fine - another 6 points from the draws that we should have won (leeds, Bolton, Wolves) and we would be right there. Gus has led the charge to get there.

Statistical evidence is that changing managers actually makes no difference beyond about 6 games; pitifully the most reliable predictor of a team's position is level of wage bill, and I read somewhere that Brighton has 8th highest wage bill in Championship...

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Gus is the man. He is honest - he admits he got it worng tonight with the line up and rectified after 37 minutes. He has said numerous occasions publicly (and again last night) that we need a strker. BTW, this worries me as it implicilty publicly undermines CMS, Barnes and Hoskins and wonder whether it contributes to their poor performances, trying to prove themselves and rushing.

There was a fine thread a few weeks ago along the lines that we are very close to being a top 2/3 team in this League; I am with that, the difference beween that and 8th is very fine - another 6 points from the draws that we should have won (leeds, Bolton, Wolves) and we would be right there. Gus has led the charge to get there.

Statistical evidence is that changing managers actually makes no difference beyond about 6 games; pitifully the most reliable predictor of a team's position is level of wage bill, and I read somewhere that Brighton has 8th highest wage bill in Championship...

Yes we all know we need a striker, there's quite a good one up the road - where did they get him from?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
What was the second half last night then if it was not "Plan B"? KLL on for Dunk, 6 attack minded players on the pitch at the end.

If he did not have a "Plan B", last night we would have lost.

I wish his plan B was our plan A. We look unstoppable when we go at a team in the way we did in the second half. All it needed last night was a striker and Millwall would have been on the end of a 45 minute mauling.

That is my only criticism of Gus-he changes his side and tactics depending on who we are playing. Bill Shankly used to say that he puts out his best team and let other sides worry about his team. Taggart does the same with Man U. Gus can learn from those 2 because there are no sides to fear in this division if we play like we did in the second half and earlier in the season. We have pace, a strong midfield and good defenders. All we need is an out and out goal scorer-CMS , sadly, does not look to be that man.

I'm still on the Gus bus but it is in need of its 20,000 mile service.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I wish his plan B was our plan A. We look unstoppable when we go at a team in the way we did in the second half. All it needed last night was a striker and Millwall would have been on the end of a 45 minute mauling.

That is my only criticism of Gus-he changes his side and tactics depending on who we are playing. Bill Shankly used to say that he puts out his best team and let other sides worry about his team. Taggart does the same with Man U. Gus can learn from those 2 because there are no sides to fear in this division if we play like we did in the second half and earlier in the season. We have pace, a strong midfield and good defenders. All we need is an out and out goal scorer-CMS , sadly, does not look to be that man.

I'm still on the Gus bus but it is in need of its 20,000 mile service.

I agree. Think Gus is still a bit spooked from some of the maulings we got last season. But other than last night, his selections of late have appeared more attacking, but it depends if we have our first string defence playing or not. We really are not far off being a very good team.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
"Brighton are the best side we've played this season," Kenny Jackett, Millwall's manager, said afterwards. "They pass the ball very well and they have a lot of fire-power in their team. They generate a terrific atmosphere here."

Yeah, sack him now.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
We might have rolled over at 0-2 but fought back and got a valuable point. One of the other big positives about tonight was Gus making an early change of player and giving KLL an hour to have a proper impact on the game.

The other thing is that I'm sure that Gus would love to have Orlandi and/or Vicente available and I reckon they would have changed the dynamic for us over the last few games.

I am encouraged that at last Gus is learning from his mistakes. After all he is still learning his way as a manager and the expectations on him are still probably a bit high. OK we are not winning as many games as we should but we aren't losing too many either, so not a disaster. We are still in touch with the playoffs. His next test is the transfer window and getting the right player in, an area in which he has mixed results and again I hope he is learning from past mistakes. Any signings will be pivotal to our chances this season. However looking at the bigger picture we are still only halfway into the 5 year masterplan and the direction of travel is upward, so no need to panic.
I agree it would have been far worse if we had been 2 up and drew? Great fight back bloody woodwork good tackle by Buckley on Smith saved Millwall?:annoyed::facepalm::thumbsup:

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
"Brighton are the best side we've played this season," Kenny Jackett, Millwall's manager, said afterwards. "They pass the ball very well and they have a lot of fire-power in their team. They generate a terrific atmosphere here."

Yeah, sack him now.

That's just manager talk to deflect the fans fury of letting a 2 goal lead go. It makes the draw better. Harry Redknapp does it all the time;
"Wigan are world class" etc..

We all know the atmosphere isn't always great and we all know we don't move the ball quickly

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here