Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

In DEFENCE of Glenn Murray

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
He should have acknowledged the fans simple as that.

All I heard was a few funny chants of 'dump your wife'... the booing was for Price not Murray and the supportive chants vastly outweighed any of the bad.

It just smacked of immaturity by running off the field as fast as he could not giving the 1600 fans who travelled up there so much as a wave....

Poor form IMO.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Interesting point actually: if you are a professional footballer, is there a clause in your contract that says you can give, say, a months notice or three months notice, like there would be in most other forms of contracts of employment?

I'm sure that anyone has the right to break an employment contract on the grounds that they no longer want to do the job. If Murray wanted to return to Carlisle and become a taxi driver then it wouldn't be a problem. The issue would then be if he subsequently wanted to sign another pro football contract. At that point Brighton could refuse to release his registration.

I guess the problem for Murray is that he can't afford to lose the salary he's on.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Can we be quite clear about one thing.

Those that did boo him or say anything about his family were very much in a MINORITY. To be honest I would be surprised if he heard them, I only heard 2 such remarks on the terracing. From the pitch I would doubt he heard much.

BUT

The vast majority of fans supported Murray and furthermore as soon as there were a few dissenting voices, chants of one glenn Murray etc were started. He would DEFINITELY have heard that the MAJORITY of fans were giving him support.

Quite. Which is why the majority of fans at the end felt annoyed that he left the pitch without acknowledging the travelling support or waiting for the rest of the team. And fair enough for feeling that way IMO, when you've paid £20 for a poor game toboot. Of course, you'd feel very different if you were listening on the radio.....

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Quite. Which is why the majority of fans at the end felt annoyed that he left the pitch without acknowledging the travelling support or waiting for the rest of the team. And fair enough for feeling that way IMO, when you've paid £20 for a poor game toboot. Of course, you'd feel very different if you were listening on the radio.....

Precisely.

It was DELIBERATE. Regardless what anyone says.

He was f***ing FACING the fans as he walked to Price to shake his hand...

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Yet someone in another thread whined that "he didn't even look at us". So, which is it, was he facing the fans or did he not even look at you guys?

He walked towards the away end in a slow deliberate fashion shook hands with the goalie and then turned away from the fans who were all still applauding at this stage. It seemed like a deliberate snub to me, and despite the attempts to talk up the stick dished out to Murray on either of the threads today, the fact is he received tremendous support from the fans saturday, and his behaviour at the end was a disgrace.

I'm a big fan of Murray, I do not buy into the 'he's lazy' crap that gets regularly spouted on here as appreciate what a quality player he is. Howeverm he clearly has no interest in us anymore, and his attitude appears to absolutely stink at the moment, his team-mates deserve better and so do the people who cheered him onto the pitch saturday.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Yet someone in another thread whined that "he didn't even look at us". So, which is it, was he facing the fans or did he not even look at you guys?

He faced the fans, he saw us, f*** me its difficult not to with 1000 behind the goal and more upstairs, he just chose to IGNORE us.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
So was I, sat in line with right edge of the 6 yd box and there was a loud crescendo of booing and abuse directed towards him, mainly from a group young (20s) yobs, fans, boys whatever you wish to call them sat at the end of the row.

Why do not we just forget the whole episode and move on and hope that he scores a hatrick at Huddersfield tomorrow evening.

I think we'll just have to accept that due to our different positions & the way in which the sound was evidently localised, we both heard what we heard. Sad to hear that a yoof element decided to try & be all 'mature' when he came on, but I still think he was bang out of order in way he behaved after the final whistle. I guess we'll just have to disagree on this matter & - as you say - "move on".

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
He walked towards the away end in a slow deliberate fashion shook hands with the goalie and then turned away from the fans who were all still applauding at this stage. It seemed like a deliberate snub to me, and despite the attempts to talk up the stick dished out to Murray on either of the threads today, the fact is he received tremendous support from the fans saturday, and his behaviour at the end was a disgrace.

I'm a big fan of Murray, I do not buy into the 'he's lazy' crap that gets regularly spouted on here as appreciate what a quality player he is. Howeverm he clearly has no interest in us anymore, and his attitude appears to absolutely stink at the moment, his team-mates deserve better and so do the people who cheered him onto the pitch saturday.

:clap:

From the Argus
Fans heckle Murray

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
This whole episode is pathetic, get behind him and support him whilst he plays for us

i cannot agree more with the above, my son's 6th birthday party was at withdean this year, and during our tour it was glenn murray who was waiting in the dressing room to present josh with his away strip, he was friendly whilst being professional - he made my son so chuffed and pleased that he still talks about it with pride now, some 4 months later (even though he insists murray got the kit for him lol).

why don't we give the guy a chance, surely those of us unfortunate enough to deal with jo public on a daily basis can appreciate that occasionally we have on off day and maybe take it out on those who effectively pay our wages?

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
i cannot agree more with the above, my son's 6th birthday party was at withdean this year, and during our tour it was glenn murray who was waiting in the dressing room to present josh with his away strip, he was friendly whilst being professional - he made my son so chuffed and pleased that he still talks about it with pride now, some 4 months later (even though he insists murray got the kit for him lol).

why don't we give the guy a chance, surely those of us unfortunate enough to deal with jo public on a daily basis can appreciate that occasionally we have on off day and maybe take it out on those who effectively pay our wages?

What a refreshing thing it is to hear some RATIONAL behaviour on here!

minnieme

Sep 10, 2006
Brighton
A) Not ONE Brighton player acknowledged the crowd after last week's disma; home defeat to Walsall. Not one.

B) Far from being lazy he ran his socks off after coming on AND showed glimpses of talent AND won a higher percentage of headers than Dickinson.

C) Most as soon as the whistle went, he walked straight to the goalie to shake hands. My guess is he didn't know the rest of the team were going to HUDDLE up.

D) When he came on the announcement of his name coincided with the Brighton fans BOOING the Brentford goalie. The tannoy literally said 'Glenn Murray' and then loads of people booed. Im assuming he didn't realise it was the keeper getting stick.

E) He CARRIED our team while fit last season.

Obviously he should have thanked the fans. Nobody is claiming he shouldn't. But lets not start a witch hunt without looking at the context.

reading this i am not sure you even bothered to go, if that's the case you are talking out of you're arse.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I don't know how many times it is repeated on here but some people seem to just be ignoring post after post.

Its not because Murray didn't wave or applaud the fans in itself. If he had jogged straight off up the tunnel it wouldn't have been an issue. What he did was a deliberate and calculated insult towards the travelling fans - I can't be arsed to repeat what happened yet again.

I agree its not massive and should be left in the past, and he can be a quality player, but people are choosing to ignore what actually happened.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I think you're the one who comes across as being 12 here.

Why because I'm unhappy that a player DELIBERATELY ignored his team mates and the fans who were singing his name??

Sorry if you feel that way but I wont and refuse to support a player who acts like a total bellend.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here