Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

In DEFENCE of Glenn Murray

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
A) Not ONE Brighton player acknowledged the crowd after last week's disma; home defeat to Walsall. Not one.

As I've said before, its not really an issue of him not achknowledging the fans. Its the fact that he deliberately thought "how can I make the biggest statement out of not acknowledging the fans?". There was a lot more to it than a player innocently jogging off the pitch straight after the whistle, you must realise that...

I agree with you that people are overstating it, and it can easily be dealt with in-house (and I expect it is being done today). However, you have to question where his mind is regarding the club following the incident.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
He should have clapped the fans and yes, it does seem a bit of a statement on his part.

But, the over-the-top reaction of some people near me almost seemed like they ENJOYED having an excuse to shout at Murray.

He has never been as popular here as a player of his ability should be.

If only he ran about like Alex Revell eh?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I was in the upper tier. The GM chant sounded very loud from up there..

So was I, sat in line with right edge of the 6 yd box and there was a loud crescendo of booing and abuse directed towards him, mainly from a group young (20s) yobs, fans, boys whatever you wish to call them sat at the end of the row.

Why do not we just forget the whole episode and move on and hope that he scores a hatrick at Huddersfield tomorrow evening.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
He should have clapped the fans and yes, it does seem a bit of a statement on his part.

But, the over-the-top reaction of some people near me almost seemed like they ENJOYED having an excuse to shout at Murray.

He has never been as popular here as a player of his ability should be.

If only he ran about like Alex Revell eh?

I'm with Richie 100%, it wasn't the brightest thing to do to blank the fans, but given that Murray's nickname at the club is 'Trigger' not entirely surprising.

His problems stem from home, and NO ONE knows what is going on there, and frankly, it's none of our f***ing business.

Ultimately he has made a choice between job and family, and put family first, and for that he should of course be called a 'f***ing wanker'.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Ultimately he has made a choice between job and family, and put family first, and for that he should of course be called a 'f***ing wanker'.

Has he really chosen his family? I understand that his partner and baby left Brighton some months ago. Many men in this situation would just pack the job in and go home and look for another job. If they really are that important to him this surely is a choice he can make. Because the way he is acting and if the club are bloody minded he could be apart from them an a long time!!

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Its nice to see people have calmed down now. I mean getting that angry about something that doesn't really matter is slightly sad isn't it.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Has he really chosen his family? I understand that his partner and baby left Brighton some months ago. Many men in this situation would just pack the job in and go home and look for another job.

Interesting point actually: if you are a professional footballer, is there a clause in your contract that says you can give, say, a months notice or three months notice, like there would be in most other forms of contracts of employment?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Its difficult coz the Albion Im sure want a return on their money quite rightly.

At the same time they could make Murray a free agent (without paying him off of course as he wants out, not the club want him out) so he can f*** off back up north and try and get a club up there.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Interesting point actually: if you are a professional footballer, is there a clause in your contract that says you can give, say, a months notice or three months notice, like there would be in most other forms of contracts of employment?

There have been players who have bought their own contracts in the past, but who knows if he is in a position to do this.

Sample story of player possibly doing this. Mata could buy out own contract

If he has faith in his own abillity, then he could look at this as an investment and get the money back as a signing on fee with his next club.

Last edited:

scooter1

How soon is now?
Its difficult coz the Albion Im sure want a return on their money quite rightly.

At the same time they could make Murray a free agent (without paying him off of course as he wants out, not the club want him out) so he can f*** off back up north and try and get a club up there.[/QUOTE

They could terminate his contract, but I think they would have to pay him off. Because he has handed in a transfer request he forfeits the remainder of salary he is owed should he be sold(thats my understanding of it)

In another post I said that i'd like to hang on to him and he could be a success for us, but if he wants out that badly then its best he just goes and we write off the money. I'm sure we can offset it as a tax loss. As it is he's constantly injured(still, it would seem) and I don't think anybody will take a chance on him

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

In theory i suppose he could give notice and quit but we would still hold his registration which is really what any club that wanted to buy him would be paying for. So while he could quit he couldn't play for another professional team unless we said he could. I think anyway

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
At the same time they could make Murray a free agent (without paying him off of course as he wants out, not the club want him out) so he can f*** off back up north and try and get a club up there.

Isn't that what palace did with dowie, under the belief he wanted to spend time with his family, then he went and signed for Coventry and there was all that legal mess. I'm not sure the rights and wrongs of that were ever cleared up, from a legal perspective.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
No, not really. Some people support the club with a passion and expect the same with the players.

I haven't seen Murray appologise yet have you?

Apologise for not applauding people calling him a f***ing w***er, booing him, shouted abusive things about his family?

Well I never.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Isn't that what palace did with dowie, under the belief he wanted to spend time with his family, then he went and signed for Coventry and there was all that legal mess. I'm not sure the rights and wrongs of that were ever cleared up, from a legal perspective.

I think it was even worst than that as it was when he went to Charlton.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

It was actually Charlton which is why Palace got so pissed off and rightly so!!!

I too would be pissed off if we release Murray and he ends up signing for say Charlton or Soton.

If it was a southern based champ club like QPR then I would still be annoyed but at least he wouldnt be scoring against us.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Can we be quite clear about one thing.

Those that did boo him or say anything about his family were very much in a MINORITY. To be honest I would be surprised if he heard them, I only heard 2 such remarks on the terracing. From the pitch I would doubt he heard much.

BUT

The vast majority of fans supported Murray and furthermore as soon as there were a few dissenting voices, chants of one glenn Murray etc were started. He would DEFINITELY have heard that the MAJORITY of fans were giving him support.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It was actually Charlton which is why Palace got so pissed off and rightly so!!!

I too would be pissed off if we release Murray and he ends up signing for say Charlton or Soton.

If it was a southern based champ club like QPR then I would still be annoyed but at least he wouldnt be scoring against us.

I knew it was one begining with C...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here