Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

In car DAB stereos.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Have they got any better, I believe when they initially hit the market reception was patchy, to say the least.

Any recommendations, a we'll be looking to up date our tape deck :ohmy:, in the sales.

SE4 GULL

Oct 8, 2010
Brockley LONDON SE4
I've tried to get one but most places I went to don't even stock them any more down to the reception issue. Think it still hasn't been adequately solved, so not many of them around. If you do find one you'll also need an extra glass mounted arial fitted by someone who knows what they're doing. I think the route DAB in car stereos will have to go down is using the existing mobile phone network to broadcast, rather than whatever they use now!

I've tried to get one but most places I went to don't even stock them any more down to the reception issue. Think it still hasn't been adequately solved, so not many of them around. If you do find one you'll also need an extra glass mounted arial fitted by someone who knows what they're doing. I think the route DAB in car stereos will have to go down is using the existing mobile phone network to broadcast, rather than whatever they use now!

Won't work. problem with DAB is that it requires a clear line of reception and a robust signal (unlike analogue aerial which can pick up a very weak signal . Cars move very quickly and usually in areas with high walls / embanknents/ causing losts of reflection of the signal .

Also wouold need to work in a different part of the radio spectrum (ie that reserved for mobile phone applications) which is getting very crowded.

SE4 GULL

Oct 8, 2010
Brockley LONDON SE4
Won't work. problem with DAB is that it requires a clear line of reception and a robust signal (unlike analogue aerial which can pick up a very weak signal . Cars move very quickly and usually in areas with high walls / embanknents/ causing losts of reflection of the signal .

Also wouold need to work in a different part of the radio spectrum (ie that reserved for mobile phone applications) which is getting very crowded.

Of course it can work, I can stream digital raido "online" on my iphone anywhere that has 3g network coverage.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
I had one fitted as an option when I bought my car, and the reception is excellent, but as with FM stations some are regionalised and some retuning is necessary when moving from one transmitter to another. I do have a very high quality "aerial" built in, so I guess this may make a difference .

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I think the route DAB in car stereos will have to go down is using the existing mobile phone network to broadcast, rather than whatever they use now!

dont think the mobile phone licencees will be very interested in that though. streaming over 3G networks kinda defeats the purpose, it then becomes internet and not DAB radio anymore.

seems the problem with in car DAB is that its DAB plus additional problems, and DAB has rather failed to take off. theres little advantage (few additional offerings of value to most) and perceivably poorer quality due to many stations using low bit-rates (im going by others comments, not listened myself). iirc the switch off of analoge radio has been postpone with no new date, because there hasn't been the interest.

Last edited:

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
I live in central Hove, bought a DAB unit for my car and a boosted DAB external aerial and the signal was so patchy it wasn't worth it. Ended up returning it back to the shop.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Factory fitted one works a treat, very occassional lose reception but not enough to worry about

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I saw this in a shop recently and would give it a go if I heard any recomendations, its cheap but does it work well.

PURE Highway In-Car DAB Radio With FM Transmitter: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Would be great to have 6 Music on my long boring drives up and down the country. Could work better than the portable Sony DAB radio I use when Test Match Special is playing on Five Live Extra.

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
I have a DAB radio built into my Audi and it is the dogs bollocks. Rarely cuts out and when it does it tends to be in the same areas where AM and FM signals are very weak, eg the highlands. It's great listening to 6music or 5live sports extra on the way home from work.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I saw this in a shop recently and would give it a go if I heard any recomendations, its cheap but does it work well.

PURE Highway In-Car DAB Radio With FM Transmitter: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Would be great to have 6 Music on my long boring drives up and down the country. Could work better than the portable Sony DAB radio I use when Test Match Special is playing on Five Live Extra.

I'm not sure about that exact model but I have a PURE PocketDAB 1500 and its crap - I can't get a signal at home on it, whereas if i pop out to my car the factory fitted one is the dogs and has no signal problems. This is probably due to the superior car aerial compared to a pocket radio but I would have expected some signal at least. On the occasions I have managed to get a signal when out & about, its so in & out its not worth it - probably why it came with an FM option as well so you can switch to FM when you need to although not much use for 5Livextra!
As to the original question, I got my car 6 months ago and it had DAB fitted as standard, and I would pay xtra to have it next time as personally I think its brilliant.

beardosh

Insert witty comment here
Dec 14, 2009
I have a car stereo with iPod / iPhone connection and just play the TuneIn Radio App through the iPhone into the stereo and bingo.... DAB Radio! Radio 5 cuts out a few times but Talk Sport is pretty much faultless even with a really low mobile signal.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Works okay when signal is decent and especially if you have an aux input. But it makes a bit of a cabley mess of the front of your car. I'd give it a go if you're not worried about the cables being everywhere and the aerial stuck to the windscreen.

Edit - That was meant as reply to #12

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

SE4 GULL

Oct 8, 2010
Brockley LONDON SE4
I have a car stereo with iPod / iPhone connection and just play the TuneIn Radio App through the iPhone into the stereo and bingo.... DAB Radio! Radio 5 cuts out a few times but Talk Sport is pretty much faultless even with a really low mobile signal.

I do that most of the time too, only thing is it uses up a hell of a lot of battery as well as cutting out when 3g signal drops. No problem in cities but pretty much useless on the motorways (M4/M5 at least have no 3g coverage at all, and makes for a pretty boring drive down to Cornwall!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here