Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Immigrants.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Just thought I'd share a poster campaign by the Irish Times I saw at a bus stop in Cork last week. Ireland seems to be going through an immigration thing similar to what happened in the Uk many years ago. Listening to people here the immigrants are suffering the same kind of ignorance and abuse that those who came over in the fifties and onwards experienced.

It read, 'Should the 3 million Irish living all over the world go back to where they came from?'

and it had pictures of a black pot and kettle under it.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Deportivo Seagull said:
The problem is that in the past these arguments have been used by racist to cover the fact that they just hate those who's skin in slightly tanned. They really couldn't give a toss about strain on the NHS, housing, etc, in just an excuse, also they ignore the benefits that immigration brings. In the same way those on the 'left' ignore the downside and only state the upside, hence you can't have a sensible debate on the subject.

So you are advocating what? silence?

Why not prosecute hate speech and drag the smear brigade into the libel courts? That will soon weed out the idiots.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
looney said:
Talking shit is your shtick. Markets are regulated for to many reasons to list here.

you are talking about legal reguation wrt crime only ya jackass.

All markets are regulated, be they legal or illegal, and that goes for drugs etc, it's just that illegal markets tend to be 'regulated' by those that run them. If they didn't, there'd be anarchy and 'plod' would have to get involved ...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
munster monch said:
It read, 'Should the 3 million Irish living all over the world go back to where they came from?'

Sounds like a very good advertising campaign.

Inclusion is the key rather than keeping people/races on the fringes of society.

I will be first on the plane, if the BNP ever got into power, of course if I am allowed to live abroad (one rule for "us"....)

E

enigma

munster monch said:
Just thought I'd share a poster campaign by the Irish Times I saw at a bus stop in Cork last week. Ireland seems to be going through an immigration thing similar to what happened in the Uk many years ago. Listening to people here the immigrants are suffering the same kind of ignorance and abuse that those who came over in the fifties and onwards experienced.

That is a very interesting and hopefully effective campaign.

I myself may well choose to live abroad, although most likely in Europe, so it would be hypocritical of me to criticise those who come to England to do the same.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Deportivo Seagull said:
All markets are regulated, be they legal or illegal, and that goes for drugs etc, it's just that illegal markets tend to be 'regulated' by those that run them. If they didn't, there'd be anarchy and 'plod' would have to get involved ...

regulated? By Yardies?:lolol:

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
looney said:
regulated? By Yardies?:lolol:

Not so funny. The Eastern Europeans have an effective cartel to control the supply, and therefore the prices, for certain drugs, so they are effectively regulating the market. Technically, any form of control of the resources involved in that market function as a regulator. The government have stepped into the prostitution market with the proposals regarding small brothels - leading us towards the same situation as Amsterdam with government regulated sex industries.

A regulator only functions to ensure that prices are maintained at a certain level, and to ensure that the market does not (or should not) rocket or bomb due to over or under supply. The market for drugs, for arguments sake, will only sustain a certain amount of suppliers, so yes, groups like the Yardies, Triads, Afghan Warlords, Serbian Warlords, will intervene to ensure that the profits are not spread too thinly, and by virtue of this will only tolerate a certain amount of "small to medium enterprise" stepping into the market.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
HampshireSeagulls said:
Not so funny. The Eastern Europeans have an effective cartel to control the supply, and therefore the prices, for certain drugs, so they are effectively regulating the market. Technically, any form of control of the resources involved in that market function as a regulator.

This is not regulation, this is exercizing monopoly power.

A regulator only functions to ensure that prices are maintained at a certain level, and to ensure that the market does not (or should not) rocket or bomb due to over or under supply. .

Price maintanance is not an objective of regulation, but is just one of the multiple reasons in particular markets, minimum wage for example, telecoms prices as a non example.

The market for drugs, for arguments sake, will only sustain a certain amount of suppliers, so yes, groups like the Yardies, Triads, Afghan Warlords, Serbian Warlords, will intervene to ensure that the profits are not spread too thinly, and by virtue of this will only tolerate a certain amount of "small to medium enterprise" stepping into the market

This is so much rubbish I dont know where to begin, if at all.:nono:

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
looney said:
This is not regulation, this is exercizing monopoly power.

A regulator only functions to ensure that prices are maintained at a certain level, and to ensure that the market does not (or should not) rocket or bomb due to over or under supply. .

Price maintanance is not an objective of regulation, but is just one of the multiple reasons in particular markets, minimum wage for example, telecoms prices as a non example.

The market for drugs, for arguments sake, will only sustain a certain amount of suppliers, so yes, groups like the Yardies, Triads, Afghan Warlords, Serbian Warlords, will intervene to ensure that the profits are not spread too thinly, and by virtue of this will only tolerate a certain amount of "small to medium enterprise" stepping into the market

This is so much rubbish I dont know where to begin, if at all.:nono:

Enlighten me then. Rather than coming across as an arrogant, dismissive jerk, why not actually expose some of your higher learning/research to the rest of us? All of your arguments consist of insulting people and using smilies. Try and convince us that you actually know what you are talking about rather than taking a very shaky position on the high ground without establishing credentials.

Mine? Drug interdiction in many places in the world, close exposure to the markets in this country and abroad, personal experience of how these groups control supply and demand to drive prices up, and drive competitors out, but how they permit a sub-level of suppliers to come in, encourage addiction that can be met by their own suppliers.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
HampshireSeagulls said:
Enlighten me then. Rather than coming across as an arrogant, dismissive jerk, why not actually expose some of your higher learning/research to the rest of us? All of your arguments consist of insulting people and using smilies. Try and convince us that you actually know what you are talking about rather than taking a very shaky position on the high ground without establishing credentials.

Mine? Drug interdiction in many places in the world, close exposure to the markets in this country and abroad, personal experience of how these groups control supply and demand to drive prices up, and drive competitors out, but how they permit a sub-level of suppliers to come in, encourage addiction that can be met by their own suppliers.
Cracking post. Sadly, what you'll get is some half arsed drivel that you won't be able to read (he'll plead dyslexia which seems to disappear when his guard slips) and then he'll post some bullshit source from someone you've never heard of which a) is only vaguely related to the subject and b) doesn't prove his point at all in any case. :nono:

This why he is the board joke.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
The monopolies commission.

this REGULATES markets to prevent colusion bad practices and monopolstic behaviour like price maintanance, predatory pricing etc.

Unregulated/free/ illeagal markets result in the things you discribe it is not regulation..

E

enigma

Simster said:
Cracking post. Sadly, what you'll get is some half arsed drivel that you won't be able to read (he'll plead dyslexia which seems to disappear when his guard slips) and then he'll post some bullshit source from someone you've never heard of which a) is only vaguely related to the subject and b) doesn't prove his point at all in any case. :nono:

This why he is the board joke.

:clap:

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
looney said:
The monopolies commission.

this REGULATES markets to prevent colusion bad practices and monopolstic behaviour like price maintanance, predatory pricing etc.

Unregulated/free/ illeagal markets result in the things you discribe it is not regulation..

and so what is it then, the only reason you say that it is unregulated is because those that regulate it are not legal establishments, still doesn't stop it from being regulated. As Hampshire has pointed out, the various players in the market will regulate it themselves as they know that a manopoly doesn't help anyone, the fact that it is the drugs market doesn't mean it is any different from any other commodity.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
I think, in defence of Looney, that we may be at cross purposes here.

We maintain that any market, legal or otherwise, will regulate itself (which obviously only applies when there are two or more suitably large entities at the top of the food chain who co-exist without the requirement or need to destroy each other - control by agreement). The version of regulation that we are discussing is a control-version in that it is ensuring that prices are regulated (controlled) and that the markets are regulated (controlled) with regards to supply and demand.

Looney is maintaining that regulation, as he defines it, applies to the establishment of free and transparent trade regulated by a single autonomous and independent body who are designed to ensure that prices are not fixed and monopolies are not established. This is carried out by offical bodies such as the MC and SEC with proper regulatory powers, as opposed to our version of control by AK47!

I think that we are aiming at varying targets here.....

Looney, does this set a new NSC record for the number of times you have been OWNED in one thread?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I think ive done a marvelous job at stemming the red tide washing up on the NSC beach.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
HampshireSeagulls said:
I think, in defence of Looney, that we may be at cross purposes here.

Looney is maintaining that regulation, as he defines it, applies to the establishment of free and transparent trade regulated by a single autonomous and independent body who are designed to ensure that prices are not fixed and monopolies are not established. This is carried out by offical bodies such as the MC and SEC with proper regulatory powers, as opposed to our version of control by AK47!

I think that we are aiming at varying targets here.....

Yes, but when you have an AK47 there much easier to hit ......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here