Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Imagine Being a Rangers or Celtic supporter for 30 years

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
You've supported one of the big two for 30 years. You're going to win nearly all the time. Week after week, year after year, your team is notching up another facile win. You've probably won about 95% of games over this period. What do you get out of it. What's the point

"Who did we play today Jock?"

"Falkirk"

"How did we get on?"

"We Won"

"Wow great"

Jeez

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
There was some competition up to about 1986. In that year, Hearts blew it on the last day. Aberdeen, Hibs & Dundee Utd a threat too.

Since then it's about whose spent the most on the squad & player wages, and yes, that does include Celtic in phases (e.g. Lambert, Hartson, Petrov, Lennon, Sutton era ... big wages & transfer fees compared to turnover).

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
There was some competition up to about 1986. In that year, Hearts blew it on the last day. Aberdeen, Hibs & Dundee Utd a threat too.

Since then it's about whose spent the most on the squad & player wages, and yes, that does include Celtic in phases (e.g. Lambert, Hartson, Petrov, Lennon, Sutton era ... big wages & transfer fees compared to turnover).

You will find a lot of "two horse race" leagues around the world. La Liga is one of them!

In large part because of the champions league. The countries that tend to have only one champions league place tends to have a one horse race, the countries that have two CL places are two horse races, for the longest time, England, with four CL places has had a top four elite. That only changes when one of them seriously under performs, or when some huge investor comes along and gives Man City the sort of money they would get from the champions league.

If Rangers keep losing, they might slip out of their champions league spot, which could bring about a new dynamic in the SPL.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
You've supported one of the big two for 30 years. You're going to win nearly all the time. Week after week, year after year, your team is notching up another facile win. You've probably won about 95% of games over this period. What do you get out of it. What's the point

"Who did we play today Jock?"

"Falkirk"

"How did we get on?"

"We Won"

"Wow great"

Jeez

I guess you are just bored and attention seeking.

Both Rangers and Celtic, who were the very first British Club to win the European Cup ( 1967 ), are bigger clubs than eg Albion.

The problem that they have is one of population, ie., in Scotland outside the major centres of population, there are few people, few footballers and accordingly no company is prepared to invest on the basis that there are few who are going to read 'their message' and hence, no television rights or, no television rights worth having.

Stick to the local leagues in Somerset !

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
I heard on the radio this week, Rangers are on the verge of entering administration. If so it should make things more interesting, or will Celtic just win everything.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
I guess you are just bored and attention seeking.

Both Rangers and Celtic, who were the very first British Club to win the European Cup ( 1967 ), are bigger clubs than eg Albion.

The problem that they have is one of population, ie., in Scotland outside the major centres of population, there are few people, few footballers and accordingly no company is prepared to invest on the basis that there are few who are going to read 'their message' and hence, no television rights or, no television rights worth having.

Stick to the local leagues in Somerset !

I think you are missing my point. I was indeed bored and just thinking how uninteresting it must be go to the game each week knowing deep down you are going to win. Where did I say they weren't as big as Albion? I watched Celtic win that European cup on our grainy black and white TV and cheered them on like everybody else.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
The passion for celebrating goals would be the thing lacking for me if I was a fan of Celtic or Rangers - how could you muster the enthusiasm for leaping from your seat every time you put one past one of the lesser teams? If anything I'd feel sorry for the opposition as the goals flew in.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
And just to notch up the boredom even more, you play each other 4 times a season (minimum*– more if you meet in a cup).

So even that 'big game' loses a little of its importance, because over 4 meetings a year everything levels itself out just a bit more. Even if you lose you can think, well, never mind, we're playing them again next month... (once we've thumped Falkirk three more times etc etc).

Zzzzz.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
You will find a lot of "two horse race" leagues around the world. La Liga is one of them!

Surely that is the only other league like that, can't think of any others. The EPL has at least 6 or 7 teams at the top who make a game of it with each other, in Italy there are 4 or 5 plus they always seem to get a wild card every other year. Germans and Dutch have had all sorts over recent seasons.

I heard on the radio this week, Rangers are on the verge of entering administration. If so it should make things more interesting, or will Celtic just win everything.

Astounding that, in a two horse race, one of them could still manage to overdose on steroids (aka overspend).
The 'big two' actually assist in making the league shit by outbuying all the other clubs put together, so that the remainder (almost) never win anything.

However, The EPL is also heading that way in rubbing out the English game by buying from everywhere else in the World and spending multi-millions from owners using them as their 'subbuteo' team. The obscene amounts spent by Spanish and Italian clubs raises the bar too, since the Champions and Euro leagues are seen as another focus.

So - back to watching your local village cloggers wading around in the mire every week?

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I think you are missing my point. I was indeed bored and just thinking how uninteresting it must be go to the game each week knowing deep down you are going to win. Where did I say they weren't as big as Albion? I watched Celtic win that European cup on our grainy black and white TV and cheered them on like everybody else.

Not only do I agree with your post, I remember watching that great game on a 'grainy' black and white TV too....lol.

Probably wrong, but weren't the goal stanchions etc flat faced...unlike the rounded edge ones today...?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Interesting that yesterday neither won.

Qhilst Rangers and Celtic do have the big budgets, the gulf isn't as massive as you'd think. A lot of the best players at both clubs have come from other Scottish clubs (yes I know, you can argue that in itself is evidence of the superiority etc), and there is very rarely a routine easy win. I cannot be arsed to look it up, but I would be surprised if Celtic/Rangers' league win % is much higher over the last 5 years than Man United, Barca, Real Madrid, Porto etc etc.

You're right that the league is shit - I don't think you will find any Scottish fans who are happy with the state of their football. But if the same happened to the English league, would you abandon the Albion?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
The passion for celebrating goals would be the thing lacking for me if I was a fan of Celtic or Rangers - how could you muster the enthusiasm for leaping from your seat every time you put one past one of the lesser teams? If anything I'd feel sorry for the opposition as the goals flew in.

As someone who does exactly that, the genuine answer is that, nowadays, you aren't celebrating the fact that you are beating Dundee United, but see every game in the context of the title competition. It is a sad state of affairs for Scottish football, no doubt. (And as I've said earlier , it seldom is as easy as people on here are making it sound for Celtic and Rangers).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here