Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Imagine Being a Rangers or Celtic supporter for 30 years

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Plus La Liga has talented players and great football. The SPL is crap. There's no getting around this.

Agreed. But I think anyone who's been around this club for more than a handful of seasons knows a thing or two about supporting crap football.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Not only do I agree with your post, I remember watching that great game on a 'grainy' black and white TV too....lol.

Probably wrong, but weren't the goal stanchions etc flat faced...unlike the rounded edge ones today...?
Yeah, remember that game well. Probably the greatest ever British club footballing achievement as not only were the Celtic team all Scottish they all came from the West of Scotland, indeed with one exception I think they were all Glaswegians - and the exception was only born about 40 miles away. (I await correction from an anorak on that). That feat will never be repeated.

And I think it was the Scottish goalposts that were flat-faced rather than the stanchions.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
But there's always the hope of better things against better opposition in better leagues. The Scottish model is crap.

But it hasn't always been. The condescending way some people on here go on about Scottish football seems to suggest that there would be something admirable about the idea that people up there should just ditch the clubs that they have traditionally supported for many years and watch English games on TV instead. Surely not a million miles away from everyone over the last 20 years just giving up on the Albion and watching Arsenal down the pub.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
But it hasn't always been. The condescending way some people on here go on about Scottish football seems to suggest that there would be something admirable about the idea that people up there should just ditch the clubs that they have traditionally supported for many years and watch English games on TV instead. Surely not a million miles away from everyone over the last 20 years just giving up on the Albion and watching Arsenal down the pub.
But one of the problems is people don't really support the other clubs. In lots of places the people who get on the coaches for the Celtic and Rangers games outweigh those who attend the local teams' matches. And as you know even Hearts fans are berated by Celtic fans as "Huns without the bus fare!" That's been the case since as long as I can remember.

As Brovion states it's the other way around. Rangers and Celtic dominate Scottish football so much because no-one supports any other team really. Those two have been a cancer on the game and the best thing for Scottish football would be for those two to form their own league of just themselves and play each other 30 times a season for bragging rights.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I heard on the radio this week, Rangers are on the verge of entering administration. If so it should make things more interesting, or will Celtic just win everything.

Am I missing something? Didn't they enter administration almost 3 weeks ago?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Aberdeen, the Edinburgh clubs, the Dundee clubs - all used to get huge crowds and compete on a much better level. I think it is far too simplistic to simply say that everyone up there is supporting the Glasgow clubs as a cause of their fall. To be honest, I am not sure what has - mismanagement, migration, a pretty poor Scottish economy, Celtic and Rangers cashing in more effectively on the globalisation of football, probably all of those things. It's a real shame.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
It's the most watched football league worldwide both in terms of attendances and also TV viewers broadcast in over 200 countries.

How many teams have won the EPL title since its inception?

Compare it to other major sporting leagues around the world and how many different teams have won their title in that time and it stands out like dogs balls for being almost as predictable as the SPL.

A lot of people watching it means little. Most are probably in Asia and sitting around in their fake Man U and Chelsea tops band wagoning their little hearts out.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
How many teams have won the EPL title since its inception?

Compare it to other major sporting leagues around the world and how many different teams have won their title in that time and it stands out like dogs balls for being almost as predictable as the SPL.

A lot of people watching it means little. Most are probably in Asia and sitting around in their fake Man U and Chelsea tops band wagoning their little hearts out.

4, but by the end of the season almost certainly 5:

Man u x 12
Blackburn
Arsenal x 3
Chelsea x 3

Scousers x 000000000!!

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Scottish football has been good in the past. e.g. Aberdeen under red nose, Laudrup/Gascoigne.

Now predictable.

Sky/BBC still talk it up .... 'to be fair' to all parts of the UK. For example:

"News coming in of a third goal for Celtic (£40m on player wages) against Inverness (£1m on player wages) at Parkhead".

As if being flat-track-bullies is some kind of news.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I think the scottish league get unfairly dismissed as being shite, it has two huge clubs in Celtic and Rangers, a handful of championship sized clubs and admittedly some very modest top flight clubs but scotland is a country with a population some two million less than London.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
I think the scottish league get unfairly dismissed as being shite, it has two huge clubs in Celtic and Rangers, a handful of championship sized clubs and admittedly some very modest top flight clubs but scotland is a country with a population some two million less than London.

You say it gets "unfairly dismissed as being shite" then go on to outline the huge inequality in the league. Can you explain how its not shite then?

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I think you are missing my point. I was indeed bored and just thinking how uninteresting it must be go to the game each week knowing deep down you are going to win. Where did I say they weren't as big as Albion? I watched Celtic win that European cup on our grainy black and white TV and cheered them on like everybody else.

Yeah - sorry for my original response which was uncalled for. Wine speaks !

???

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
You say it gets "unfairly dismissed as being shite" then go on to outline the huge inequality in the league. Can you explain how its not shite then?

I dont think the inequality makes it shite, it just gets compared to the premier league which is arguably the most competetive league in the world. The SPL is not a great league standard wise and the disparity between the big two and the lower placed teams is huge but is is no different to leagues in other similar sized countries. Us having a pop at the scottish league is like france having a pop at the Belgium league, it's not a fair comparison

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
All these clueless twats who berate the OF and Scottish football generally are the same type of cvntz who complain about the financial disparities between say Man City and say the Albion - please think before you talk sh!te!!

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
All these clueless twats who berate the OF and Scottish football generally are the same type of cvntz who complain about the financial disparities between say Man City and say the Albion - please think before you talk sh!te!!

At least we managed to beat Man City!
Imagine how unlikely it would be for a team like Stenhousemuir to beat Celtic or Rangers, it just wouldn't happen.

Rangers and Celtic would be the equivalent of a Bolton or Wigan (but better supported), Hearts would be your standard championship side, and everyone else League 1 at a push...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here