Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Igor Julio - SINGS for 4 years!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
RDZ definitely was allowed to bring some of his players in. Absolutely no question. Fati was even deemed over priced and 'expensive' by bloom when we signed him in an interview. Very out of character for him to say that.

Look at dahoud and Igor's stats and age Vs what we would normally bring in.....
It doesn’t matter. RDZ didn’t have transfer autonomy and he didn’t pay for those players himself.

Bloom appointed De Zerbi and Bloom’s recruitment team signed off on those deals.

It’s noticeable that the anti RDZ leaks are coming to relatively low level actors. It’s not Naylor, Owen or Crook posting these tweets.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Think Igor does do some things very well. He carries the ball forward probably better than any of our other defenders, has some genuine skill and obviously (just LOOK at him) is strong and doesn't get bullied. Set against all that however is his (lack of) speed and agility. Unfortunately I think, this will prevent him making it as a 1st choice starter at premier league level. Hoping I'm wrong though.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
It doesn’t matter. RDZ didn’t have transfer autonomy and he didn’t pay for those players himself.

Bloom appointed De Zerbi and Bloom’s recruitment team signed off on those deals.

It’s noticeable that the anti RDZ leaks are coming to relatively low level actors. It’s not Naylor, Owen or Crook posting these tweets.
If I'm not mistaken Naylor has mentioned it as well.

My belief is that bloom adapted his policy for certain players that RDZ wanted. Not players that would kill us financially but ones that would keep the miserable Italian happy(ish)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
If I'm not mistaken Naylor has mentioned it as well.

My belief is that bloom adapted his policy for certain players that RDZ wanted. Not players that would kill us financially but ones that would keep the miserable Italian happy(ish)
Agreed - within parameters. If the data said no or the value said no I can’t see us agreeing. It’s not how we work.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Agreed - within parameters. If the data said no or the value said no I can’t see us agreeing. It’s not how we work.
Let's put it another way .... Would we have signed these players if RDZ didn't want them.....hell no !

And I keep going back to that bloom interview when we first signed fati and he looked uncomfortable. And used the word expensive. We don't do expensive, we do bargains and value.

But we will agree to disagree

Coldwaltham Seagull

Mar 8, 2024
Think Igor does do some things very well. He carries the ball forward probably better than any of our other defenders, has some genuine skill and obviously (just LOOK at him) is strong and doesn't get bullied. Set against all that however is his (lack of) speed and agility. Unfortunately I think, this will prevent him making it as a 1st choice starter at premier league level. Hoping I'm wrong though.
This is a good, balanced assessment amidst everything else I've read on his performance last night. For me he was one of of our better players on the night with the way he carried the ball forward, although like most of the other 10 players on the pitch he had some shaky moments- as you might expect for a player playing his first real minutes of the season.

Overall Igor is exactly as his position in the squad would suggest, a capable backup, and as much as people like to moan every squad needs those players

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Let's put it another way .... Would we have signed these players if RDZ didn't want them.....hell no !

And I keep going back to that bloom interview when we first signed fati and he looked uncomfortable. And used the word expensive. We don't do expensive, we do bargains and value.

But we will agree to disagree
RDZ didn’t get the players he really wanted, Colwill and we wouldn’t have Igor, Kudus signs and we don’t get Fati

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Of all the Brighton journos that’s probably the least reliable by a country mile. He just repeats what he’s told or what he reads on here.

The idea we’d suddenly get rid of data driven recruitment for a second season coach’s whim is laughable. If you believe it you’re insulting Tony and the recruitment team. RDZ didn’t write the cheque or wire the money.
How much of this is down to you actually believing this shit and how much is down to you defending your soulmate from anyone implying he wasn't entirely perfect in every sense?

This is like in the spring when many of us could see he was taking digs at the club and the owner, and you ran around in every thread saying he didn't (it was just "language confusion"). Total denial.

Or its like me if I had been trying to pretend Matt Clarke wasn't a Potter signing.

Igor, Dahoud and Fati stands out as players who fit the football style but are very far from the normal profile. Fati was a loan that in case of success would have been unpurchasable. Igor and Dahoud were two 25+ year old players - limited development/resale value - who had in one case (Igor) not been good enough to push his career above the slightly-better-than-midtable team that is Fiorentina, and another one who had not been able to establish himself in the Bundesliga after 4 years of trying.

This is not the player profile Brighton go for without the manager urging it. I don't know about how it was in Hughton/Hyypiä/Oscar/Poyet days, but since I started following, its been clear that the club does listen to managerial input. Potter was about to sign Matt Clarke for Swansea rather than Brighton, Adam Webster was also mentioned as a player he had followed and he gave a lot of praise to Maupay when facing Brentford in the Championship.

In the case of Roberto, we suddenly signed a 25 year old probably-quite-wellpaid Brazilian, which was the third time in his three last clubs where his clubs bring in a "ball playing Brazilian central defender". Not to mention the fact Igor is a Serie A player, a league we avoid because its a lot of money for often dubious quality.
And then Dahoud, who Roberto had been watching on video and looked forward to working with (saying so in press conferences before Dahoud was even signed)... 27 years-old and glued to the bench in Dortmund. If this kind of player isn't Robertos choice, then why hasn't it happened before or after?

In the case of Hurzeler, its hard to tell until we get some more interviews and stuff, but we do know he wanted Hummels and that the club offered him a contract, so the attitude to let the manager bring in some players he really recommend seem to remain.

Of course, if the club had seen Igor, Dahoud or Fati as entirely unfit for purpose, TB & PB & co wouldn't have allowed the signings to go through (they probably turned down a lot of requests), but anyone pretending these were club lead signings that would have happened regardless of manager is just deluded.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Thought his distribution was nothing short of appalling last night.

Did enjoy Websters performance but we know his next calamity is never far away.

As it stands Webster is our no3 CB and you wouldnt really want Igor anywhere near it. Amazing that last year he was played at LB alot due to our problems.

We need 2 in ideally IMO

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
RDZ didn’t get the players he really wanted, Colwill and we wouldn’t have Igor, Kudus signs and we don’t get Fati
Yep. And we've suddenly signed loads of attacking players, both wide and central, when we had none available in the second half of last season due to long term injury and winter international tournaments.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
How much of this is down to you actually believing this shit and how much is down to you defending your soulmate from anyone implying he wasn't entirely perfect in every sense?

This is like in the spring when many of us could see he was taking digs at the club and the owner, and you ran around in every thread saying he didn't (it was just "language confusion"). Total denial.

Or its like me if I had been trying to pretend Matt Clarke wasn't a Potter signing.

Igor, Dahoud and Fati stands out as players who fit the football style but are very far from the normal profile. Fati was a loan that in case of success would have been unpurchasable. Igor and Dahoud were two 25+ year old players - limited development/resale value - who had in one case (Igor) not been good enough to push his career above the slightly-better-than-midtable team that is Fiorentina, and another one who had not been able to establish himself in the Bundesliga after 4 years of trying.

This is not the player profile Brighton go for without the manager urging it. I don't know about how it was in Hughton/Hyypiä/Oscar/Poyet days, but since I started following, its been clear that the club does listen to managerial input. Potter was about to sign Matt Clarke for Swansea rather than Brighton, Adam Webster was also mentioned as a player he had followed and he gave a lot of praise to Maupay when facing Brentford in the Championship.

In the case of Roberto, we suddenly signed a 25 year old probably-quite-wellpaid Brazilian, which was the third time in his three last clubs where his clubs bring in a "ball playing Brazilian central defender". Not to mention the fact Igor is a Serie A player, a league we avoid because its a lot of money for often dubious quality.
And then Dahoud, who Roberto had been watching on video and looked forward to working with (saying so in press conferences before Dahoud was even signed)... 27 years-old and glued to the bench in Dortmund. If this kind of player isn't Robertos choice, then why hasn't it happened before or after?

In the case of Hurzeler, its hard to tell until we get some more interviews and stuff, but we do know he wanted Hummels and that the club offered him a contract, so the attitude to let the manager bring in some players he really recommend seem to remain.

Of course, if the club had seen Igor, Dahoud or Fati as entirely unfit for purpose, TB & PB & co wouldn't have allowed the signings to go through (they probably turned down a lot of requests), but anyone pretending these were club lead signings that would have happened regardless of manager is just deluded.
It's down to fact. I thought you were logical.

"Journo Heff" isn't Brian Owen or Naylor or Ornstein. He's a new young writer who needs content from the club.

Who do you think paid for Igor? Who do you think signed off on the money?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

As it stands Webster is our no3 CB and you wouldnt really want Igor anywhere near it. Amazing that last year he was played at LB alot due to our problems.

We need 2 in ideally IMO
Webster has been genuinely decent every time he's taken the field under Huerzler.

I have said it before : purely on form, Webster should be the starting CB.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Webster has been genuinely decent every time he's taken the field under Huerzler.

I have said it before : purely on form, Webster should be the starting CB.
In place of who? The club captain or JPvH who was man of the match against Man U (rather than ok against Crawley).

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne

We need 2 in ideally IMO
His pass success was 90%, so it can't have been "appalling".

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
In place of who? The club captain or JPvH who was man of the match against Man U (rather than ok against Crawley).
I didn't say that Dunk shouldn't be playing.
But purely on form Webster is playing better.

He was superb, when he came on for Dunk at Everton.

Hopefully he's happy enough with the stand in role.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The criticism of Igor is over the top.

I thought that was a pretty mixed performance, some very decent, defending, some not that great.

But this is a player returning from injury, playing in a pretty makeshift line up, his first outing under a new manager. I think he can be reasonably please with how he did.

I actually reckon he is currently 5th choice CB. I think Webby is 3rd choice, Joel would go there as 4th choice, (he played CB for a half in Japan) and Igor would come next.

Not sure how good you want your 5th choice centre back to be? I reckon he'd be better than the lower back up options of comparable teams

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I didn't say that Dunk shouldn't be playing.
But purely on form Webster is playing better.

He was superb, when he came on for Dunk at Everton.

Hopefully he's happy enough with the stand in role.
I'm thinking along some similar lines.

At present Dunky's position looks unassailable, he's the club captain, he's Dunk.

But, what we're seeing, is the "fit and has played a few games" version of Webster and not the always half fit, always breaking down version. And that is a VERY good player.

I just wonder if (sorry, when) Dunky get's his first suspension and Webby comes in and IF he remains fit and plays well, might we see something extraordinary? Lewis no longer first choice?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The criticism of Igor is over the top.

I thought that was a pretty mixed performance, some very decent, defending, some not that great.

But this is a player returning from injury, playing in a pretty makeshift line up, his first outing under a new manager. I think he can be reasonably please with how he did.

I actually reckon he is currently 5th choice CB. I think Webby is 3rd choice, Joel would go there as 4th choice, (he played CB for a half in Japan) and Igor would come next.

Not sure how good you want your 5th choice centre back to be? I reckon he'd be better than the lower back up options of comparable teams
Far too sensible a post…cut it out

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here