Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Iggy Pop the RACIST

The punk movement came at a time that the NF were trying to get attention, and be represented among the disquieted youth. The swastika was probably as much an anti-semitism statement against the entertainment establishment, as anything.
The NF canvassed outside gigs by Sham 69 and The Damned, among others - but I believe they were not necessarily welcomed by the bands in general.
The Dead Kennedy's told Nazi Punks f*** Off, and political groups glomming onto band's audiences weren't usually encouraged.

Maybe Siouxsie Sioux did entertain a political stance for a moment, but I doubt even she would relate to the sort of mongs that were the National Front.

It would be interesting to ask Iggy Pop (with the Germanic real name of Osterberg), what his meaning was, and whether he actually knew what it meant to say that stuff in Britain.

Unfortunately, a number of prominent punk rockers such as SS (Siouxie Sioux), Sid Vicious used the Swastika to shock the establishment at that time, and that meant the established political classes and the pre WW2 and post WW2 generations.

Sioux later realised her ignorance, Vicious was just an air head ****.

The Swastika could not be condoned, there were other ways to shock the establishment. The DEad Kennedys established their own novel road.

Bands like the Clash stood out againgst racism and fascism right from the beginning, and were the major act at Rock Againgst Racism gigs at that time. This is one of reasons Joe Strummer is seen as such a iconic figure and Joe Lydon, is seen as a tosser.

The " Paki" shop is racist and ignorant, very often the owner or his/family are not even Pakistani's but from the Indian sub-content. It is an abusive term and should be condoned.

Iggy Pop has made similar utterings before, in IMO he is a twat.

Living in London and the East End of London, with the highest concentration of Muslims in Europe I have never heard the word "Paki" shop by anyone of any nationality?

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
This is one of reasons Joe Strummer is seen as such a iconic figure and Joe Lydon, is seen as a tosser.

Aaah but Joe Strummer was rubbish at rugby league

That's what I mean. It sounds like a comment made to describe a situation. Even Asians use the same term. And far worse on occasion.

I walk around some of the ethnic areas of our cities on a regular basis, especially north London and South West London, and you hear these terms in use all the time, by people of all colours, so it seems like a bit of a storm in a teacup to me.

Personally I would prefer not to hear it at all. and I think Radcliffe should have said something.

Like it has been said, is the term "going for a chinky" any better or worse than saying "I went in a Paki Shop"

I used to hear this phrase regularly about 15- 20 years ago but as understanding of racism has grown I thought it had disappeared from "polite society."

Iggy GrandPop is showing his age now- like when my nan starts on one of her "bloody coloureds" tirades because there is a black character in Corrie etc!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
If there is a defence of Iggy, it may be that he being American did not understand that the phrase was racist. He might have heard it being used and not understood the context.

Just a thought.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
If there is a defence of Iggy, it may be that he being American did not understand that the phrase was racist. He might have heard it being used and not understood the context.

Just a thought.

I see your point and this may well be the case. However, it does not excuse the fact that the presenters did not point out the racist connotations of the term

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
The " Paki" shop is racist and ignorant, very often the owner or his/family are not even Pakistani's but from the Indian sub-content. It is an abusive term and should be condoned.

Living in London and the East End of London, with the highest concentration of Muslims in Europe I have never heard the word "Paki" shop by anyone of any nationality?

Like I said, I would rather not hear it at all, but I have heard it (Paki and Paki Shop, as well as ******), in the areas around Wembley, Willesdon, Harlesdon and the like where I do quite a bit of work. It is rarely a term of offence, more often a black person or another asian person using it for descriptive purposes. In the same way as black people reguarly use the word ******, even one of my customers refers to herself using such terminology.

Iggy Pop should know better, but perhaps on this occasion he was not educated in the fact that this is not generally acceptable in the UK. Makes you wonder who used the term in his presence in the first place for him to latch onto it.

This is one of reasons Joe Strummer is seen as such a iconic figure and Joe Lydon, is seen as a tosser.

Aaah but Joe Strummer was rubbish at rugby league

Tis very true:bigwave:

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
second_peak_of_sulphur_mountain.jpg

mole.jpg

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
More importantly was the twat still parading around half naked on stage???

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Ugly, crap, pointless try-too-hard junkie arsehole.

Like I said, I would rather not hear it at all, but I have heard it (Paki and Paki Shop, as well as ******), in the areas around Wembley, Willesdon, Harlesdon and the like where I do quite a bit of work. It is rarely a term of offence, more often a black person or another asian person using it for descriptive purposes. In the same way as black people reguarly use the word ******, even one of my customers refers to herself using such terminology.

Iggy Pop should know better, but perhaps on this occasion he was not educated in the fact that this is not generally acceptable in the UK. Makes you wonder who used the term in his presence in the first place for him to latch onto it.

Interesting stuff here. The Black establishment do not condone the black usage of ******, they believe it is doing far more harm than good.

The black community can never own the word. It was a term deriving out of racism and slavery and will always be seen as a derogatory word. The Muslim community have also condoned the "hipness" of Paki for the identical reason. Lets not forget, Paki shop and Paki bashing originated at the same time and were used again for negative reasons.

In North West London, you are overwhelmingly dealing with an Indian, Hindu and Sikh culture, their usage of Paki, is probably based on racism and ignorance.

unnameable

Feb 25, 2004
Oxford/Lancing
I saw a drama programme the other day in which a black man referred to certain people as "white trash from the sticks". In the same programme, would a white person have referred to certain people as "black trash from the ghetto"?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Assuming the context was purely descriptional I see his comments more igorant than racist. That does not excuse them though.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
We've been over this many times before. If the owner of the shop was indeed a pakistani then it isn't racist. If the shop owner was from India or any other part of the sub-continent then it is just factually incorrect banter

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Richie should be non-white listed.

I saw a drama programme the other day in which a black man referred to certain people as "white trash from the sticks". In the same programme, would a white person have referred to certain people as "black trash from the ghetto"?

Is either phrase racist? It seems okay to talk about people who behave badly as "trash", and black or white are not racist terms, so....??
It is borderline - as someone could easily be describing a whole race as 'white trash', if they weren't qualifying it by cloistering it to a certain section.
Dodgy ground to tread, isn't it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here