Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ifill Weirdness!?!?!?!

HG201

Proud Ruffian
Jul 16, 2008
Birmingham
Club website still says he will be playing for us tonight, but SSN says that he has gone to wellngton.
very strange indeed ???

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
What a ****. If all this is as it reads, i.e. He's come to us on trial, knowing there's an offer on the table from Wellington. Then allowed comments to be attributed to Slade about him playing and as a possible signing then he can fcuk right off and should be shunned by all Albion fans if he ever comes back home.

Unbelievable, so fooked off by this. Show's how much he loves his home town club eh.

(I reserve the right to withdraw my comments should this not be true)

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Club website still says he will be playing for us tonight, but SSN says that he has gone to wellngton.
very strange indeed ???

Think the club website is behind the times as that appeared this morning. Does make us look a little silly though.

Still, at least this hasn't dragged on very long so Slade still has plenty of time to bring someone else in.

brightonmad999

Jan 31, 2008
shoreham
Ifill move confirmed
12:39pm Tuesday 21st July 2009

Comments (2) Have your say »

By Andy Naylor »

Paul Ifill will not be joining Albion.

The Brighton-born trialist has confirmed to The Argus his sudden switch to Wellington Phoenix in the Australian A League.

Ifill initially turned down a move to the New Zealand club but they contacted the 29-year-old winger again last night.

He was on his way to train with the Seagulls again today when Wellington demanded an answer and he said yes to a two-year deal.

Ifill began training with Albion yesterday and was due to play in tonight's friendly at AFC Wimbledon.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Local lad who's played for Palace, then f***ed us about before taking the Kiwi shilling. His starting place in the All-Time (unt XI is now assured.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
would they really be paying him so much more to make it worth while moving (with family??) to the other side of the world to play in inferior football? i know money talks but is there no pride? im sure we'd have paid a pretty penny too.

or, another thought bearing in mind his injuries, he doesnt forsee being able to continue at English L1/Champ level and its effectivly early retirement ???

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Could we send McLeod to New Zealand instead and hope thet don't notice the difference.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Who originally started the ridiculous rumour that this twat was ever an Albion fan? Best wind up ever imo and I think most will agree you caught the majority of Albion fans :thumbsup:

What makes it worse is that he is Palace scum :down:

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Because it's a fantastic place to live and far better than Oz. I've been to A-league matches though and the standard is shocking. Lower than conference level.
The A-League is not that bad folks, I'd be dissapointed if any of it's team could beat the Albion this season coming but a few would easily hold their own in Division 2 and might even survive in Division 1, IMHO, having watched it regularly...

Kick Ass Minton

Brooklynite
Oct 8, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Confirmed - just spoke to him and NZ is his destination

A chance of a fresh start along with a new challenge - will be popping out to see him early in the new year.

And for everyone slating him - you are entitled to your opinion. However, If a business were willing to pay me good cash to work for a couple of years in a beautiful country like NZ with the prospect of seeing most of the southern hemisphere then I would bite thier hand off - I imagine many of you would as well...

We fans would do anything to play footy for the team we support but to many footballers its just a job - the days of one club players or players playing for the team they support are slowly coming to an end.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
The A-League is not that bad folks, I'd be dissapointed if any of it's team could beat the Albion this season coming but a few would easily hold their own in Division 2 and might even survive in Division 1, IMHO, having watched it regularly...

Yeah, you tell em!

Melbourne Victory would beat the Albion imho.

They have some flair players.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia

A chance of a fresh start along with a new challenge - will be popping out to see him early in the new year.

And for everyone slating him - you are entitled to your opinion. However, If a business were willing to pay me good cash to work for a couple of years in a beautiful country like NZ with the prospect of seeing most of the southern hemisphere then I would bite thier hand off - I imagine many of you would as well...

We fans would do anything to play footy for the team we support but to many footballers its just a job - the days of one club players or players playing for the team they support are slowly coming to an end.
well put, I bit their hand off for pay cut, have been here for fifteen years and counting....

Kick Ass Minton

Brooklynite
Oct 8, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
well put, I bit their hand off for pay cut, have been here for fifteen years and counting....

There are many worse places in the world to bring up a young family and enjoy the culture and lifestyle

After NYC thats my next port of call - providing I can convince my employers they need to send me down there !

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Must admit went to New Zealand xmas this year and yep its damn pretty and i dont blame him, take what you can !! we are all the same when it comes to money !! NEXT

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London

I wouldn't slate him for his decision to go, I'm just confused as to why he trained/trialled with us for 2 days when it must have been nearly 100% sorted before then... He's just made the club and RS look a bit stupid!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I wouldn't slate him for his decision to go, I'm just confused as to why he trained/trialled with us for 2 days when it must have been nearly 100% sorted before then... He's just made the club and RS look a bit stupid!

I dont think your right there young man......He has made himself look a bit stupid :thumbsup:

Kick Ass Minton

Brooklynite
Oct 8, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
I dont think your right there young man......He has made himself look a bit stupid :thumbsup:

erm - how does he look stupid ? he had offers on the table, was having a trial with the albion, Wellington pressed him for a yes or no answer and he made a quick decision.

RS is no mug and has been around long enough to know that when players are on a free then they (and thier agents) will be doing everything they can to give themselves as many options as poss.

Again - its a job - when you start looking for a job, you dont put all your eggs in one basket - you give yourself as many options as possible and then you make a decision when you have to. Thats how I managed to get myself over here - if I had no drive or ambition then I would be stuck in Brighton and probably out of a job right now - and I think Paul has made a similar decision. In the end, there was no contract offer from the albion so it was a risk / reward based decision.

In this case we lost out and Wellington gained - you win some you lose some.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I'm a bit confused why everyone is getting so upset. What has he done that's so bad? If the argus is to be believed he turned down an original offer from the NZ team, then agreed to a go on trial(not sign, just have a trial) with the Albion. NZ team come back with a new improved offer and demand a quick answer. Ifill says yes. What's so bad about that, other than the Albion missing out on a quality player?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here