Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If you ran NSC...

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
Have a 'ignore thread' button, so you can mark certain threads that you know are never going to interest you, and they then don't appear on your main forum view.

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
can we make a north stand chat live chat feature where we can just sit and chat to each other so if your board instead of creating threads we could just chill and chat! i think this would be a great feature!

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Hmm. I'll have a think about changes I'd introduce, but just a quick point in defence of two features we've already got: I would oppose the splitting of The Big Board between football & non-football; I quite like them being together and there's often a surprising overlap. Also I like the notification feature; I know it's new but please don't get rid of it...

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
[MENTION=256]DTES[/MENTION] I agree about notifications for quotes and direct replies. Hopefully people will start to use it a bit more.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
I'm all for fans of other sides coming on for a bit of banter and a different view etc.. but as soon as they move into the outright abuse and wind up nature of certain Palarse and Southampton (there must be others but these are the ones that seem most prevalent to me) following idiots then just ban them, permanently.
Otherwise I think it's all good Bozza, keep up the great work and please don't split the subjects to different boards, it's not hard to choose to open a thread, or close it quickly if you are so inclined.....

Most people read only for months before posting - I must have lurked for a year before registering an account. Therefore I would suggest a 'no new threads' probation period may be OK, but a 'no posting' probation would be overly harsh. We do need newbies, we just need a method of rooting out the spammers/wind-up merchants.

Agreed,

I was lurking for well over a year before registering, and that was only because i knew the wereabouts of someone mentioned in a RIP thread.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
1. New Threads can't be started by people with less than a certain number of posts. 100 seems reasonable, just to stop wind-up merchants appearing from various clubs and flooding the site with a number of pointless provocative site.
I can't see the point, if they wanted to wind-up they'd just post in an existing thread. And some good info has come from new members. I'd rather just ban repeat offenders (along with noting their IP and email etc to ban new accounts).

'Football only' forum with a 'general' forum for all things non-football.
I like that.
The reputation feature. Usually the cream rises to the top. It let's you rep a post and put a little note if you think it's a good post. Also it lets you provide a negative note. Those with 1000+ can only have this feature to avoid newbies negging everyone.
Great idea, especially if only those with a mass of posts can give the feedback, to stop newbies throwing feedback around. I'd particularly like it if the feedback was related to transfer news, so it was easier to know which members are informed, and which aren't.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I can't see the point, if they wanted to wind-up they'd just post in an existing thread. And some good info has come from new members. I'd rather just ban repeat offenders (along with noting their IP and email etc to ban new accounts).

I know what you mean, but it does seem to work, perhaps because having your drivel tucked away in the midst of someone elses thread doesn't draw the same attention, and therefore doesn't appeal to the midless in the same way. I post on a number of message boards, and those that have a restriction on thread starters in this way just seem to have less attention seeking newbies show up for a few days starting numerous antagonistic threads, before vanishing again back down the hole they emerged from.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm struggling to think of what I would like, but I'm pretty happy. If I really search for something... Would it be possible for each user to sticky the threads they like, so that they are only sticky for them. I mean, I could sticky the threads I want to keep up with and when I come on here they are sticky for me. But other people have their own stickies?

Ooh, longer time to edit. Maybe a whole day, or possibly week. I know this would leave posts open for someone to say something inflammatory and then edit it to make someone else look bad, but there are times I post something late at night or while distracted at work, then the next time I get online I see typos, but can't change them.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Have a 'ignore thread' button, so you can mark certain threads that you know are never going to interest you, and they then don't appear on your main forum view.
Can that be done, that would be very nice.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I know what you mean, but it does seem to work, perhaps because having your drivel tucked away in the midst of someone elses thread doesn't draw the same attention, and therefore doesn't appeal to the midless in the same way.
Yes fair point.
I post on a number of message boards, and those that have a restriction on thread starters in this way just seem to have less attention seeking newbies show up
When you say other boards, do you mean football related? Because I've joined tones of forums and none compare to the shit (I don't ever swear on other forums) and abuse people post on a footy forum.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Yes fair point.
When you say other boards, do you mean football related? Because I've joined tones of forums and none compare to the shit (I don't ever swear on other forums) and abuse people post on a footy forum.

No, not other footie sites. As you say, they simply don't come close to this place, so even when I have dipping in elsewhere, I've sokn got bored.

But I'm a BIG American Football fan so I post on NFLUK, NFL.com and CBS. Certainly the American sites don't let you start a thread on the main board until you've been there a while.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Yes fair point.

I've joined probably well over 100 football message boards, and a good number of them have restrictions for newbies, you need to make x amount of posts before you can start a thread etc. As well as a lot that prevent you from posting links until you hit a certian post count, in either your posts, or your signature.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
I would go for a flat 24 hour "cooling off" period after a member signs up before they could post, but that could backfire for when we draw a team in the cup and their fans want to come on straight away saying how much they are looking forward to coming to the Amex :) (thats my suggestion that I would remove if it didnt work)

My one I would put in now is to not stop new people posting or starting threads but for the first month of their membership I would limit them to 1 new thread a day and 10 postings in exisiting threads. This would help cut down on the trolling that goes on. Oh and also have tighter controls over dupilcate accounts to stop people using their allowance up and resigning up with another name to get another 10 messages

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
I have suggsted before but having a seperate sub forum for each of the fans groups -(Seagulls over Burwash / Mid Sussex seagulls et al).

This would mean if people within the group wanted to discuss travel arrangements for a specific home/away trip / talk about their groups AGM they could set up a thread without having to worry about bouncing it every day. I beleive it would also encourage more fans onto NSC which in the long term can only be a good thing.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
can we make a north stand chat live chat feature where we can just sit and chat to each other so if your board instead of creating threads we could just chill and chat! i think this would be a great feature!

again we had this and it was very popular on matchdays so I remember

whatever happened to it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here