Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If you had a chance to see an artist who is no longer with us, who would you chose?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
saw him at the dome in Brighton 47 years ago and the word awesome does not do his performance credit and he did give us a few notes on the bent horn,and the supporting group were no less than John Coltraine.
I was a fan of modern jazz since buying some records in the bargain bin at the London Road Co-op and one of those records was a Miles Davis EP.
I still play "Funny valentine" when I'm in the house on my own (my other half hates MJ) the only thing that would have made my life complete would have been seeing Miles and Charlie Parker play together.
back to the audience he did sometimes and at the Dome he did for a while although I think this might have to do with the acoustics.

Nice ! :thumbsup:

I discovered Miles through his fusion work on albums like Amandla & Tutu, but these days I think I prefer his earlier stuff. My Funny Valentine is a favourite of mine too.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Hunter S Thompson. Missed him by a fortnight once in deepest darkest Kent.

"Deepest darkest Kent"

It's funny how 'cult' figures can crop up in later life in tucked away little venues. Rye community centre has a habit of turning up some astonishing gigs for a little ( albeit up it's own arse ) village. I once saw Robin Williamson ( Incredible String Band ) perform there. One of the best gigs I've ever been to and it was so intimate you virtually had to pull up a chair and gather round as Robin told stories and played his harp ( I think he's capable of playing every string instrument ever invented to an incredible standard ). Also saw The Four Brothers ( from Zimbabwe ) at that venue too.

Going back to Jazz...I once saw the great South African pianist - Bheki Mseleku- in the Hastings Angling Club :thumbsup:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
"Deepest darkest Kent"

It's funny how 'cult' figures can crop up in later life in tucked away little venues.

Wasn't a 'venue' as such. It was Ralph Steadman's big old house just outside of Maidstone. HST had been staying with the Steadmans in an attempt to get some words down on paper for their gonzo Hawaian adventure 'The Curse Of Lono'. He failed miserably, partly due to a complete writers block, but mostly due to his penchant for the, er, good things in life. Steadman's artwork made the book a glorious thing in its own right, but it wasn't the same somehow. However, heard some GRAND tales in the village local about HST demanding round the clock service and the use of a shotgun at all times (this was still during the era of strenuously regulated licensing hours). Even saw the actual few lines he'd managed to bash out on the Steadman typewriter during his stay. Dammit! Would have been just about the highest point of my life to have met The Great Gonzo in the flesh. Instead I had to make do with Steadman :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here