Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If you could go back in time

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
St James's Park 1979 promotion game.
I'd also get someone to record Grandstand, as apparently I was on it.

Gigs are difficult. I've been to so many great ones that I'd love to see again for different reasons. As I have to plump for 1, I guess I'll go for Six of the Best at Milton Keynes Bowl back in about 1982.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Squeeze concet in 1987 at Brighton Top Rank, just so that I could see Jools Holland play with them again.

I would also like to go back to the 1997 Hereford game, just so that I could witness the atmosphere and tension, already knowing the score and be relaxed about things.

Infact I would go around at halftime telling you lot not to worry about things.
i was at that concert!! i remember a heavily pregnant woman and her husband right at the front before squeeze came on, people were telling them that they would be better off at the back before the band came on, they didnt take the advice and then the husband proceeded to go mental when his wife got pushed about when everyone when mental as squeeze came on.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Lesser Free Trade hall On June 4, 1976
Sex Pistols played to just 46 people, in the audience that night.

It was recently voted one of the most important concerts of all time, alongside Woodstock and Live Aid.

The gig has been shrouded in myth and legend. But people who were there formed legendary Manchester bands such as Joy Division, The Smiths, The Fall, The Buzzcocks.

Edited to say just read the original post , i was not there but would have liked to have been .

The game i did attend that would like to re attend was the 3-1 At St James park for promotion , fantastic day.

Last edited:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Live act, probably Jesus Jones in Maastricht in 91, footy game...hard to choose from a cast of hundreds, tempted to go for the play-off Final but will go instead for a 2-1 victory at Sheff Utd when Leon popped up to score the winner at the death...the cheering and shouting at that game left me deaf and hoarse until the middle of the following week.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Not sure about concert, but would definately liked to have seen the '83 Cup final.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Football: '83 in the Cup Final for obvious reasons mentioned earlier, but Argentina 0 England 1 (Sapporo, Japan - WC 2002) gets a close 2nd. Staying out all night and jumping around in the town square fountains at about 5am with fully-suited Japanese businessmen who'd been out celebrating and who were on their way back into work was quite bizarre thinking back.

Gig: Either Adam and the Ants at the Brighton Centre in the early '80s, or the first Nelson Mandela concert at Wembley. Both pretty special in their own way.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
and rewatch just ONE concert and ONE football match that you actually attended, what would be your choice?

Concert - Pink Floyd at the Marlowe Theatre Canterbury just after the release of Saucerful of Secrets shortly after Gilmour replaced Syd Barrett. My 1st ever concert and I've never had a buzz like it at any other since.

Pink Floyd at the Marlowe!!! We don't get anyone remotely in that league now!

Match - Wembley '83 The Saturday

Concert - I'm an old git so it has to be organising a private concert for 100 of my clients on the top deck of the QE2 by.....Vera Lynn!

Awaits abuse....

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Pink Floyd at the Marlowe!!! We don't get anyone remotely in that league now!

Match - Wembley '83 The Saturday

Concert - I'm an old git so it has to be organising a private concert for 100 of my clients on the top deck of the QE2 by.....Vera Lynn!

Awaits abuse....

They really weren't that big then, very much still an underground band, although it was a full house. I was at school at the time and we had a young rugby coach who was a big Floyd fan and he arranged for about 15 of us to go on an "educational" outing to the Marlowe!

I'd certainly like to have seen Al Bowlly at his prime, not so sure about Dame Vera though!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Concert, have to be 'The' Woodstock

Match, well, I have no idea, I have been fortunate to have seen 99% of the Albion games mentioned on this thread. I could say the 4-1 replay, but not sure I would really like to go back and watch that. I guess I would have to say I would like to see the Albion play at Old Trafford, so any of those games please.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
They really weren't that big then, very much still an underground band, although it was a full house. I was at school at the time and we had a young rugby coach who was a big Floyd fan and he arranged for about 15 of us to go on an "educational" outing to the Marlowe!

I'd certainly like to have seen Al Bowlly at his prime, not so sure about Dame Vera though!

We don't even get any up-and-coming bands now - just Sounds of the Sixties nights with once-famous bands containing one or two of the original members.

However, the Marlowe is closing early next year for a big expansion and total rebuild. Hopefully we will then get some better acts.

Dame Vera was wonderful!

The Lemming Stomper

Under the flag
Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Gig-Fad Gadget at the Highbury Garage c 2001...one of the last gigs the great Frank Tovey played before he died of a heart attack in his early 40s.

Match-Southend Utd v Liverpool at Roots Hall c1977...Was played on a Wednesday night and shown on Sportsnight.Southend drew 0-0 on a snow covered pitch against Keegan,Toshack,Smith,Highway etc and should have won it had striker Derrick Parker kept his nerve in a 1-on-1 with Ray Clemence!! Southend got tanked 5-0 in the replay tho.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I`d go back to Cup final day 1983 and whisper in Robinson`s ear.''Under no circumstances must you pass to that Scottish twat in the last minute''

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
About 10 years ago I saw John Mellencamp and band playing a full set in a small night club in Munich at an 'industry event'. A fine seletion of fine German beer on sale to compliment the evening.

Football and back to 72 for Albion 2 Villa 1, ground stuffed full, atmosphere brilliant, and the best Albion goal of all time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here