Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If we were to make the play offs...

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Win at Leeds and I wiil be dreaming of nicking one of the top two spots and I think we'll easily make the playoffs if not. Have some belief guys :rolleyes:

It's not about having belief in us, I believe we can keep up if we stay injury free. It's about other teams slipping and dropping points when we need them to.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
So how many points do you think we will get between now and the end of the season? 17 games, 51 points to play for. I will go with an avergae of 2 points per game, and we will finish on 79 points.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
agree. I don't wan't brighton to go up though, it might have a detrimental effect on the club, and I'd rather we built our infrastructure up before hitting the big time..

I see it like this.

Brighton finish 6th, and play Southampton in the semis. Brighton knock out Southampton, and then lose in the final. That way, we can assure Arrogant Adkins and his Abominable Arsenal of Arsehats are humiliated because they assumed they'd go straight up, and got way ahead of themselves.

That being said, it would be another crushing blow if Brighton went on to win promotion from the play-offs, and Saints couldn't manage it. In the long run, it wouldn't be good for us as such, because I'm not sure if we would struggle or not in the top flight. But, having said that, we managed to adapt to championship life not too badly at all.

So in conclusion, could be, could be not!

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
agree. I don't wan't brighton to go up though, it might have a detrimental effect on the club, and I'd rather we built our infrastructure up before hitting the big time..

I'm not sure I agree with you on that one. Going up will set us up for years due to the income and (presuming we go down) parachute payments. So many sides in this league are paying higher wages than us and that's partially down to the fact that most of them have been in the Premiership in recent history. So long as we go up and we're sensible we'll be fine. There will only be a problem if we go up and go mental spending loads of money we can't afford.

As for Southampton, it would obviously have a bit of an extra edge to it due to last season and this season's matches and whilst they'd be a bit of extra satisfaction getting one over Adkins, I wouldn't dream of calling them scum. I'd actually rather we played any other of the sides in contention, if we did sneak in, as I thought Saints were excellent at St Marys, despite the pen decision, and would probably be the hardest openents. That said, a long long way to go to even think about this really. It'll be a big enough challenge just getting into the top 6, nevermind worrying about who we'd be playing!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Play Offs? I think we will nick the the 2nd Auto Promotion spot.... If we keep injury free then why not?
The same could be said of Birmingham and Blackpool, both of whom are on the same sort of run as the Albion but have more points than we do. I wouldn't rule out a CHARGE on the automatic slots but if someone offered Gus a play-off spot right now, I'm sure he'd take it...

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
I'm even (and I can't believe I'm saying this), I'm even very tempted to say I won't mind losing to Liverpool in the Cup if in return we could beat Southampton in the play-offs. (Tempted!)

I'd be happy if we lost 2-1 to Liverpool (again), then beat Stains in the play-offs. A 2-1 defeat is nothing to be ashamed off when it's against a big club like Liverpool.

I want promotion, only for the money it will bring for us. Even with the parachute payments if we were to get relegated, would ensure us (provided we don't go on a mad one and spunk it all) that we can pay our players decent salaries and attract decent players to help solidify our position in the championship if relegated after a spell in the EPL.

Last edited:

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
Top six averages from last three seasons:
1) 93
2) 86
3) 80
4) 78
5) 76
6) 73

Our current position:
Played 29, Points 45, To Play 17.

Points required per game to hit last three season averages:
1) 2.84
2) 2.41
3) 2.04
4) 1.92
5) 1.84
6) 1.65

Season Form:
W13, D6, L10 = 1.552 points per game.

Form Last 6:
W4, D1, L1 = 1.625 points per game.

Summary:
If we keep our current form up for the remaining 17 games we will finish on 72.625 points.

If we hit our season average form for the remaining 17 games we will finish on 71.384 points.

To hit 74 points (my target for a play off place) we need to average 1.71 per game, over the rest of the season that looks something like this W8, D5, L4.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
To hit 74 points (my target for a play off place) we need to average 1.71 per game, over the rest of the season that looks something like this W8, D5, L4.

Easy then, Looks possible when set out like this

Wins
Millwall H, Ipswich H, Doncaster A, Pompey H , Derby H, Forest A, Watford H, Barnsley A

Draws
Blackpool A, Boro H , Burnley A, Reading H, Brum H

Defeats
Leeds A , HullA , Cardiff H , West Ham A ,

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Easy then, Looks possible when set out like this

Wins
Millwall H, Ipswich H, Doncaster A, Pompey H , Derby H, Forest A, Watford H, Barnsley A

Draws
Blackpool A, Boro H , Burnley A, Reading H, Brum H

Defeats
Leeds A , HullA , Cardiff H , West Ham A ,

That actually seems doable to get 74.

I reckon we could do a little more than 74 though, we have the best home form in the league over last 6. Might just edge Reading and hit 77.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Form Last 6:
W4, D1, L1 = 1.625 points per game.

Summary:
If we keep our current form up for the remaining 17 games we will finish on 72.625 points.

That's not correct? Our last 6 games form has been over 2 points per game on average, 4 wins and a draw from your stats.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
That's not correct? Our last 6 games form has been over 2 points per game on average, 4 wins and a draw from your stats.

Yes last 6 is actually 2.167. So on that (rather last 8 as Simster noted the 1.625 comes from) we'd finish on 81.839 which looks to be more like 3rd place.

raz_18

Thomas Parrott
Jan 26, 2010
Chelmsford, Essex
I'm confused why everyone thinks Leeds will make the play-offs?? Depending who they get in i reckon next year but not this year..

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Left ourselves with too much to do imo and could just as easy go on another losing streak to mid lower mid table.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
agree. I don't wan't brighton to go up though, it might have a detrimental effect on the club, !

Staying down means we'll quite possibly lose our best players such as Buckley and Bridcutt, I'll take going up personally as I don't see us overstretching the budget and we'd have the parachute payments if we came straight back down.

ArcticBlue

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex Inlander
The only money I would bet is WH and Brum to get auto spots. Open ended from there. PO places will be determined by injuries and suspensions (and a bit of luck) for all teams in the mix.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The only money I would bet is WH and Brum to get auto spots. Open ended from there. PO places will be determined by injuries and suspensions (and a bit of luck) for all teams in the mix.
I don't think eiher club are a shoo-in, to be honest. Blackpool are also looking class, Southampton might suddenly click again, Cardiff are still strong, injuries and suspensions might yet play a big part - what if Zigic got injured? Hell, we're only 7 points off 2nd ourselves with 51 points to play for.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here