Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If we LOSE on Friday.....

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Icy Gull said:
For the umpeenth time point me in the direction of any CREDIBLE proof that it was £150k :rolleyes:
It could have been more, a six figure sum is all we know, so it's at least 100k...

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
KinkyGoehring said:
Ask Paul Rodgers next time you see him out and about
The singer with Free and Queen?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Trigger said:
It could have been more, a six figure sum is all we know, so it's at least 100k...

Now I'm not saying 100k is a bargain but it's 1/3 less than 150k and not quite the 40k we paid for Geoff Pitcher, but I don't recall the same size crucifixion party turning on Micky Adams for a bad buy

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Icy Gull said:
Now I'm not saying 100k is a bargain but it's 1/3 less than 150k and not quite the 40k we paid for Geoff Pitcher, but I don't recall the same size crucifixion party turning on Micky Adams for a bad buy

Because there was no holes in the squad as there is blantently now.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
KinkyGoehring said:
Matty Lockwood would do off the top of my head.
Pushing 30 (so not one for the future) played most if not all of his career in the bottom division and has never looked any better than that. Also as he signed a new contract at the end of last season Orient would want a transfer fee and our old friend Mr Hearn wouldn't let him go to us on the cheap. And all of that assumes that he'd even want to come here.

Given your previous suggestion of Paul Mayo see if you can come up with any more - you're doing a great job of proving McGhee's point that there is no-one better available to us

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Spiros said:
Pushing 30 (so not one for the future) played most if not all of his career in the bottom division and has never looked any better than that. Also as he signed a new contract at the end of last season Orient would want a transfer fee and our old friend Mr Hearn wouldn't let him go to us on the cheap. And all of that assumes that he'd even want to come here.

Given your previous suggestion of Paul Mayo see if you can come up with any more - you're doing a great job of proving McGhee's point that there is no-one better available to us

Erm Lockwood was wanted by a number of top flight clubs till he broke his leg for the first time.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
KinkyGoehring said:
Because there was no holes in the squad as there is blantently now.

We have been weak in midfield for years but plugging League 3 midfield holes is a bit cheaper than Championship forward lines, surely even you would agree with that ? Both look like expensive mistakes to me.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
KinkyGoehring said:
Erm Lockwood was wanted by a number of top flight clubs till he broke his leg for the first time.
So why's he still plying his trade at el stadio del brisbane then? Face it - he'd just be a gamble at best like most of McGhee's signings

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Spiros said:

You reckon neither Mayo nor Lockwood are better than Reid?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
KinkyGoehring said:
WE DONT NEED A STRIKER AS MUCH AS A LEFT BACK

You weren't screaming that at the time Turienzo was signed though, hindsight is a fine thing

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
KinkyGoehring said:
I think most people were suggesting a left back was the number one target.

Agreed but McGhee is just being an arsehole and deliberately not signing one because of the LB hysteria on NSC. He's like that, but you knew that already

KinkyGoehring said:
WE DONT NEED A STRIKER AS MUCH AS A LEFT BACK

What's all this WE Spurs boy? ;)

We do need to make changes at the back. I'd rather see Mayo at LB than Reid, at least it's a position that Mayo has played his whole career, but Mayo doesn't fit McGhee's plan.

I don't think Lockwood would be a good signing. 5 years ago maybe, but he's past his best now by a long way. Paul Mayo wouldn't be too bad, but there really aren't good quality, CHEAP, and above all suitable left backs out there for us right now IMO.

BensGrandad said:
Harry Rednap may help us out as he is obviously going to bring in more players to try to stay in the Premiership and will then have some surplus.

Come one, BG, I applaud your optimism but is this the same Rednapp who pissed us around with a fringe player like Blayney?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Going back to the original question, I think tonight's game is massive.

A win and Carpenter back in training would set us up nicely for the QPR and Luton games after Xmas. Defeat and I could see many of this team lose heart. The thing is, this is our last chance until mid-Feb to build up a little bit of momentum.

We could take 10 points out of the next 4 matches, and that opportunity is not likely to present itself again until the Watford- Crewe - Plymouth run in Feb / Mar.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here